20221002_171635 (resized).jpg
20220917_152148 (resized).jpg
392 (resized).jpg
11EDB49B-587D-48D2-8AE1-C3757F64F068 (resized).jpeg
24 (resized).jpg
79 (resized).jpg
86F09576-16EE-4013-BBE6-F5E19A5670AA (resized).jpeg
8CF9AAC6-5FA6-4E02-837C-2E68A6C1A444 (resized).jpeg
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 8 years ago

Of course.
If I can help further let me know

7 months later
#102 7 years ago

Greetings and Salutations to the fans of the Grand Prix!

I would like to introduce myself and declare am a member of this club.
Every once in awhile it happens, it being an unexpected event that changes your life. On Dec 18 2014 I was sleeping after a nightshift, around noon I woke up to take a leak, walked by the computer, looked up pinball on Kijiji and 10 mins before a fella named Byron had put his Grand Prix up for sale. Next evening after a four hour road trip to RJ's muffer shop (where the guys had it stashed in the parts storeroom, seems the boss didn't approve) the game was in my workshop.
This was only my second pin. It had 130,000 plays on it. It had blue elastic bands for rubbers. But it almost worked so I replaced the rubbers, made the chimes chime and played it as is on a once in awhile basis. But it scared me as I was really green to the whole idea of shopping it.
Then 'it' happened again, this time out of the blue a co-worker sold/gave me a Top Score that didn't work at all. It was complete, just filthy and not working. the GP got put aside and the learning curve began on the Top Score, wow what a awesome day when it came alive!
Then it happened again, it this time was a busted down old Yankee Baseball Pitch and Bat. That was last winters project.
Then a bowling game and Bally Hi Lo Ace found there way home. Last summer they were all the rage.
Last week the GP became the primary target for my attentions. This is the one I have been waiting for. I know the sky is the limit for restoration but for now the target is to just bring it back to life, enjoy the old scars as it's old glory days of a shiny new machine are long gone.
WillbeEM

#103 7 years ago

Good luck! This is fave around here, everyone loves spinners!

#104 7 years ago

GP was my first pin over 30 years ago. I made a mistake and let it go about 15 years ago.
I missed it so much I had to buy another after I got seller's regret! It's at HEP being restored now.

#105 7 years ago

Resto

Our plan is to bring it to Texas Pinfest

IMG_0448 (resized).JPGIMG_0448 (resized).JPG

IMG_0449 (resized).JPGIMG_0449 (resized).JPG

IMG_0450 (resized).JPGIMG_0450 (resized).JPG

IMG_0451 (resized).JPGIMG_0451 (resized).JPG

IMG_0452 (resized).JPGIMG_0452 (resized).JPG

IMG_0453 (resized).JPGIMG_0453 (resized).JPG

IMG_0454 (resized).JPGIMG_0454 (resized).JPG

IMG_0455 (resized).JPGIMG_0455 (resized).JPG

IMG_0456 (resized).JPGIMG_0456 (resized).JPG

IMG_0457 (resized).JPGIMG_0457 (resized).JPG

IMG_0458 (resized).JPGIMG_0458 (resized).JPG

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from lmcdonald111:

Resto
Our plan is to bring it to Texas Pinfest

Wow! That is a work of art. I hope mine turns out as well. All that's missing is a piece of invisiglass!

3 weeks later
#107 7 years ago

Oh my gosh that is a spectacular machine. Love the chrome. Thank you for sharing

Mine not so much, a beater for sure but what an learning experience working on it. I took the entire playfield out of the machine and installed it onto my homemade rotisserie on my work bench. I removed all the playfield parts, cleaned and touched up the play field, cleaned everything and filled the inserts with clearcoat ( and managed to spill some clear too..<sigh>, waxed and re assembled the playfield. I also was able to inspect the under playfield mechs and found a few broken solder connection and a broken switch.
That done, i removed the mechs from the bottom of the cab, and cleaned and clamped and glued the floor back in place then put the playfield back in the cab. I figure its the safest place for it until its next step, which will be be replacement of the bumper skirts and stepper cleaning. The cleaning and touchup of the playfield stage created an amazing mess of tools, brushes, cleaners, paints, cloths, bits of magic eraser, q-tips, cups, empty bulb boxes...all of which was cleaned up and put away before starting the next stage. I am currently going through all of the score reels, complete disassembly and cleaning.
I discovered a new trick too, to clean the switch contacts, I flatten the round end of a q-tip soaked in alcohol with my pliers, then I can slip the modified tip between the switch contacts with a minimum of effort for me and no stress to the switches.
This machines backglass has suffered major damage down the right side in a vertical streak where the paint is completely removed. Since I got it i have wondered what happened. I believe I know now. A drink must have been spilled down the vent hole in the top of backbox and never cleaned, I could track the trail of coke (?) down through the score reels. Luckily the reels all cleaned up and only the third player 1000 point reel numbers flaked off.
After the reels are done, steppers are up. When I get a chance I'll post some pictures.

Does anyone have a picture of the player unit stepper in the back box? Specifically the springs arrangement. Mine doesn't seem correct.
Does anyone have a scan of the backglass? I'm trying to figure out a cost effective way to learn/practice and repair what I have now.

Thanks
Willbe EM

#108 7 years ago

Part of the fun is the journey and making the restoration agree with your vision.

3 months later
#109 7 years ago

Anyone have a high resolution scan of the playfield? I did an admittedly poor job of touching mine up and thinking it's going to be best to try to throw an overlay on. I can't seem to find an overlay to purchase. Hoping to print one if need be.

#110 7 years ago

You should be able to blow my pictures up.

4 weeks later
#111 7 years ago

TPF best 70s EM

IMG_1526 (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (resized).JPG

IMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPG

#112 7 years ago

lmcdonald111 , your GP? It's gorgeous! GP was my first pin, but sold it many years ago. Finally found another last summer. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours!

#113 7 years ago

Awesome game!

I joined the club a few weeks ago. In the middle of a shop now. Polishing all the screws and metal now. Not to the extent of your game but it'll clean up nice. And it will be a nice example.

Here's what I started with.

20170306_175435 (resized).jpg20170306_175435 (resized).jpg

#114 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.
Any Grand Prix is great!

We played our original one for a year or so and Sounds and feel of the original condition we're great.

This was GP 2

2 months later
#115 6 years ago

Joining this club. Picked this game up as my first pin in December from a wonderful gentleman who had it in his finished basement for over 20 years. Worked with a few minor issues, but I was so excited to own a pin that I played it for 2 days and then tore it apart to clean/shop it as best I could. I spent two weeks on it and was very happy with the results. It taught me a lot. Ive since logged a hundred or so plays, and am still surprised by how fast it plays for an EM. One of the best uses for pop bumpers Ive seen in pinball so far. That little "Chamber" they are in is great. This game really shows off how fun spinners and pop bumbers can be even if they seem trivialized in newer titles.

2017-01-08 19.55.43 (resized).jpg2017-01-08 19.55.43 (resized).jpg

2017-01-08 19.54.52 (resized).jpg2017-01-08 19.54.52 (resized).jpg

#116 6 years ago

Amazing game. Does anyone know where I can find replacement drop targets? One of them on my machine is cracked.

#118 6 years ago

Is anyone familiar with this Grand Prix sound mod?

ebay.com link: itm

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Is anyone familiar with this Grand Prix sound mod?
ebay.com link

Wico not Wilco sound board bip beep boop - good temporary fix for a missing chime box. I wouldn't go and cut a hole for the speaker though.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Amazing game. Does anyone know where I can find replacement drop targets? One of them on my machine is cracked.

They turn up on flebay from time to time... usually as targets for some other game - Triple Action, Honey, etc.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

good temporary fix

exactly, not like you would really want to use this vs a chime box. Adding a solid state component to an EM, yuck.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

exactly, not like you would really want to use this vs a chime box. Adding a solid state component to an EM, yuck.

I had never heard of anything like it, perhaps because the game overlapped with the beginning of the Solid State era they tried to give the game a "modern sound"?

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I had never heard of anything like it, perhaps because the game overlapped with the beginning of the Solid State era they tried to give the game a "modern sound"?

There was some small quantity made with this board, and was not long after this that the solid state era began. I have had three GP and one had the SS board, which I yanked out and put in a chime box.

There were 5 solid state prototype versions of the game made (the only system1 game), oddly enough those had the chime box and not the SS sound board.

#124 6 years ago

I'm looking for a gp if anyone knows of one locally. I have an Atlantis, volley and want the gp to complete my em collection. My dad had all three when I was growing up and always hoped I'd get them back. Prefer a game without significant pf wear. Thx

1 year later
#125 4 years ago

Bump for a club thread that has died over the last year! I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago and am currently working through and shopping it out. The inserts are cupped and the right arrow is raised. I'm considering a playfield protector so that it plays flat. If I go the protector route, would you think it's worth the time/effort to glue down the raised insert?

I also have to replace the power cord and have about 15 feet of ground braid. I was going to run it to the shooter housing and to the lock down receiver. Is there any other place I should consider routing it?

Also, during my topside cleaning, I removed 6 red lamp sleeves and never put them back in since they had cleared/yellowed over time. Do you guys replace these? (pic from pbresource)

Let's get this club active again!

gtb-24410 (resized).jpggtb-24410 (resized).jpg
#126 4 years ago

I'm restoring one I picked up a month ago too.
Here's a link to the thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-an-old-williams-grand-prix#post-5043308

I'd probably want to reset and glue any insert that isn't flat to the playfield whether i was using a protector or not.

For the cupped inserts I'm going to touch up the black outlines then fill in with clearcoat. I've seen people use small mylar disks to fill them in too with good results.

I removed my lamp sleeves. I didn't know they were red at one point! Mine were all yellowed.

I'm planning on using the warm white retro LEDs on the playfield anyway so I don't plan on using any sleeve.

I can't wait to finish mine!

-Paul

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

I'm restoring one I picked up a month ago too.
Here's a link to the thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-an-old-williams-grand-prix#post-5043308
I'd probably want to reset and glue any insert that isn't flat to the playfield whether i was using a protector or not.
For the cupped inserts I'm going to touch up the black outlines then fill in with clearcoat. I've seen people use small mylar disks to fill them in too with good results.
I removed my lamp sleeves. I didn't know they were red at one point! Mine were all yellowed.
I'm planning on using the warm white retro LEDs on the playfield anyway so I don't plan on using any sleeve.
I can't wait to finish mine!
-Paul

I saw your thread Looking forward to the final result. Mine won't be going the restore route, but who knows My playfield could definitely use some work though. I'm not sure I would fill cupped inserts with clearcoat if I wasn't going to have the entire playfield cleared also. I may have to pony up and buy the pf protector to get it playing smoothly. I don't particularly care for how pf protectors play, but the inserts affect ball travel too much, so it probably should be done. Still in the process of placing one final order for pbresource!

1 month later
#128 4 years ago

Can someone supply a hi resolution of the lower area and picture of the labels ?

1 week later
#129 4 years ago

Can someone supply a hi resolution of the lower area and picture of the labels ?

Complete PF scan:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8YiOFaH_YDLM8VxcjVU7Lb-RnrexaAe/view?usp=drivesdk

For labels and cards:

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#130 4 years ago

Link above wasent sharable. Beleive it is now.

#131 4 years ago

Thank you

I’m looking for the tags on each switch in the bottom of the cabinet

#132 4 years ago

Thank you
I’m looking for the tags on each switch in the bottom of the cabinet

Yes, youll find most of them on the above mentioned inkochinto's website (hosted by pinballrebel) under the 'Williams' section.
I provided him with most pics of the labels.

If some are missing, PM me, i can probably help out.

1 month later
#133 4 years ago

I've loved this game since the first time I played it because I'm a 70s spinner game junkie! I've casually been looking for one for the past year or so and I'm happy to report that it is being picked up right now and on it's way to me! I know it needs new spinner decals. I looked at Pinball Resource, Marco, and Pinball Life but no one has them. Does anyone know where I can get a set?

I can't wait to get this pin setup and rip some spinners!

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I've loved this game since the first time I played it because I'm a 70s spinner game junkie! I've casually been looking for one for the past year or so and I'm happy to report that it is being picked up right now and on it's way to me! I know it needs new spinner decals. I looked at Pinball Resource, Marco, and Pinball Life but no one has them. Does anyone know where I can get a set?

Post pics! Glad you found one of your favorite pins. GP was the first pin I ever owned. I don’t have many EMs. Just GP and Space Mission; another great spinner game!

#135 4 years ago

I didn’t know about this thread. I have all EMs, and Grand Prix is one of my favorites. Most satisfying spinner-ripping pin! More than one person who has played mine has wanted to buy it, but no way.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Congrats on the pickup! I picked up GP spinner decals from PinballRescue. They are nice quality and look great in the game.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Spinners.html

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Post pics! Glad you found one of your favorite pins. GP was the first pin I ever owned. I don’t have many EMs. Just GP and Space Mission; another great spinner game!

Yeah I'm pretty happy also! I will post pics when it gets to my house.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Congrats on the pickup! I picked up GP spinner decals from PinballRescue. They are nice quality and look great in the game.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Spinners.html

Thanks! I really appreciate the link of where to get them at.

2 weeks later
#139 4 years ago

My Grand Prix showed up last weekend. I have a few minor things to look at on it- when the saucer is lit for advance right bonus it doesn't advance and when you rip the right spinner really well the bonus ladder either doesn't advance or not as much as I would think it should. Other than those two things everything else seems to work well from what I can tell.

The previous owner made a playfield protector for it because he didn't like the way it played with cupped inserts. It plays very smooth and fast! I plan on ordering from Steve Young a chime box rebuild kit and zero decals to replace the faded ones that are currently on it. My spinner decals came in yesterday so I will install them when I get time to mess with the game.

IMG_20191008_213218 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213218 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213235 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213235 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213253 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213253 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213302 (resized).jpgIMG_20191008_213302 (resized).jpg
#140 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

My Grand Prix showed up last weekend. I have a few minor things to look at on it- when the saucer is lit for advance right bonus it doesn't advance and when you rip the right spinner really well the bonus ladder either doesn't advance or not as much as I would think it should. Other than those two things everything else seems to work well from what I can tell.
The previous owner made a playfield protector for it because he didn't like the way it played with cupped inserts. It plays very smooth and fast! I plan on ordering from Steve Young a chime box rebuild kit and zero decals to replace the faded ones that are currently on it. My spinner decals came in yesterday so I will install them when I get time to mess with the game.

I would clean the spinner switch and make sure it's making good contact when it spins. Next I would check the spinner unit for that side and also check the bonus unit for that side to make sure all the contacts and wipers are clean and that the stepper is not sticking or anything.

I want to say there's a relay for the saucer. I'd have to check the schematics. If there is, there may be a relay switch that needs to be cleaned.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I would clean the spinner switch and make sure it's making good contact when it spins. Next I would check the spinner unit for that side and also check the bonus unit for that side to make sure all the contacts and wipers are clean and that the stepper is not sticking or anything.
I want to say there's a relay for the saucer. I'd have to check the schematics. If there is, there may be a relay switch that needs to be cleaned.

The previous owner said the bonuses didn't advance at all when he got it so he cleaned the bonus units with 91% alcohol and that was it so I was thinking of cleaning the contacts with very fine sand paper, lubing with PTFE grease and making sure there is enough tension on the wiper arm. Good call on checking and cleaning the spinner switch and bonus unit. I haven't looked much under the playfield but I'm guessing the spinner unit and bonus units are labeled for which sides they are for?

#142 4 years ago

Apologies for some misspelling/typo. On phone and seemed better to help than worry about minor readibility issues.

The bonus advance is driven by the spinners (mostly) and this goes through a small mechanical continuous advance stepper which is triggered by each close of the spinner. That advances a disc and a game plug setting determines if the bonus light advances every three or five (not sure I have this right RE numbers) spins if the spinner. The continuous stepper basically has two sets of contacts wired up that trigger at either the conservative or liberal spin setting (at 3 or 5 rotations is I have these # right). That in turn triggers the bonus advance wherein you go through the change relay that determines if the left or right bonus will advance. The change relay (again- I forget how its referenced in manual in terms of name) then routes the signal to the appropriate bonus unit which are both resettable adcance units with a ten count on position. Each position is wired to the correct lights on the bonus count lights and the tenth also lights the 1,000 when lit spin score. Those bonus units can ge somewhat tricky to dial in and commonly are gummed up- the small continuous stepper is also highly suspecy as it uses all plastic parts and can easily sieze up or can be broken.

Hope this is enough to get you digging.

#143 4 years ago

The left and right spinner units are positioned accordingly, on the left and right sides respectively. The right side bonus unit should be labeled but it's the unit located at the bottom of the playfield, when lifted up. The Left bonus unit is located near the top (by the outhole).

if you are unsure. You can start a game (with the playfield lifted) and spin one of the spinners. The corresponding bonus unit should advance.

#144 4 years ago

Just made an update on my Grand Prix.

Today at the York show there were TWO Grand Prix to play!
(don't think I've ever seen two of them at the same place before)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-an-old-williams-grand-prix#post-5250230

-Paul

IMG_20191009_172909864 (resized).jpgIMG_20191009_172909864 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#145 4 years ago

I'm trying to figure out my bonus problem and I created a separate thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-left-bonus-unit-advancing-too-much#post-5282642

If you get a chance, can take a look, and might know something for me to check let me know please.

1 week later
#146 4 years ago

I need to document the serial number on my game for insurance purposes. I thought the serial numbers for these games was stamped into the cabinet below the side armor. I looked and didn't see it but a previous owner refinished the game and I'm thinking maybe he put filler over the serial number? If that is the case is there anywhere else on the game where the serial # is? I looked the game over quite a bit and didn't see anything that looked like a serial number. Can anyone help?

#147 4 years ago

Check on the right side below the coin door.

1 month later
#148 4 years ago

Joined the Grand Prix club a couple weeks ago. I love this game!!!!!

So I have seen everyone with their checkered flag spinners, and this seems to be the standard. I have rocketship spinners which I assumed were replacements, but I noticed in the flyer the spinners are also rocketships. Was this a first run thing? Any insight?

1072f1.jpg1072f1.jpg
#149 4 years ago

Haha. Funny. Maybe they weren’t finished with the Grand Prix spinners yet and slapped space mission spinners on it for the flyer.

#150 4 years ago

That's what I'm thinking, but also wondering if any games shipped with the space mission spinners, or if mine were replaced for some reason. Doesn't matter really, just find it curious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-fan-club/page/3?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.