Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 65 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1072f1.jpg
IMG_20191009_172909864 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191008_213218 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191008_213253 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191008_213235 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191008_213302 (resized).jpg
gtb-24410 (resized).jpg
2017-01-08 19.54.52 (resized).jpg
2017-01-08 19.55.43 (resized).jpg
20170306_175435 (resized).jpg
IMG_1527 (resized).JPG
IMG_1526 (resized).JPG
IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
IMG_0457 (resized).JPG
IMG_0456 (resized).JPG
IMG_0455 (resized).JPG

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

I've been looking for Grand Prix. Unortunately, the only good one I can find is clear out in Sacramento

hmmm, thats my area...care to share your lead?

2 weeks later
#52 4 years ago

More metal pieces polished for Grand Prix!

image.jpg image-369.jpg
2 months later
#53 4 years ago

Those look nice! Can't wait to get the game (whoops... now two- they MULTIPLY) in my garage done to bring my Grand Prix in to touch up and clear play field and polish all the metal... its playing perfect and awesome so mechanically its done but this thing will SCREAM on clear coat.

Here is a short video of game play- none of these spinner shots are particularly amazing- and its now even better than it was at this point, but here is an idea of what these spinners can do. I can confirm both sides on my game can spin >60 rotations with a solid hit and I swear I have seen close to 80 but its really hard to count and play at the same time... This short clip shows over 70 rotations.. each rotation moves the light one step... the top light is lit at the start of the spin and it cycles 7 times (70 rotation)... plus another few so definitely over 70 rotations.

#54 4 years ago

Note the spinners are different, on the video... I procured a set of original spinners with the flags (one - right side was installed for video) but I had been trying to get the right side to spin as well as the left and so had not changed the left one out for fear of wrecking things.

I finally bit the bullet and learned the key for absolute performance.

Yes- be sure your switch is barely contacting on the up swing, and adjust and lube lightly... but the absolute key is how angles in the spinner wires on the spinners. They should not come straight out- they need to bend down a tiny bit- I took my good spinner (left side) out, scanned it both sides at high resolution so I have a permanent archive of what worked- then very very carefully bent the right spinner to match exactly the left- put it back in and the right now spins 70+ like the left... so I bent the other original (flag) spinner I had to match the left, put it in on the left side, and it works exactly the same as the one in the video-

I had been adjusting wires trying to make them all perfectly straight and all at right angles- thats NOT good.

Anyone wants more info I can post a image of the scan- I can assure you that adjusting the angle on the spinner wire is 50% of performance... you can have it lubed, have it barely making contact etc and it may go 30-40 times, then you change this and whalla- 60+

#55 4 years ago

Sure. Post the scan.
Sounds useful.

3 weeks later
#56 4 years ago

Anyone have a scan of the backglass? I picked up a Grand Prix and the backglass is flaking in several areas. Was thinking of making a translite

#57 4 years ago

I got one, need to get it working though. Anyone know where I can get the drop targets, as the two front ones are broken, and a repro BG, mine is not good.

#58 4 years ago

Grand Prix repaint in process!

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

#59 4 years ago

I am loving this new thread! When I got my Flight 2000 in June I was very very happy. However, it was my second choice at the time. I just couldn't find a Grand Prix. Still want one so badly. Keep the pictures and posts coming. I am living vicariously through you lucky people!

And yes, based on the work I have done on my Space Odyssey, you can tune an old Williams spinner in to give you incredible results. My buddies still flock to Space Odyssey even with a nicely tuned Flight 2000 next to it. When I ask why, one of the things I always hear is "that spinner shot, man."

I just know thaty someday I will have a Grand Prix. SOMEDAY...

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Note the spinners are different, on the video... I procured a set of original spinners with the flags (one - right side was installed for video) but I had been trying to get the right side to spin as well as the left and so had not changed the left one out for fear of wrecking things.
I finally bit the bullet and learned the key for absolute performance.
Yes- be sure your switch is barely contacting on the up swing, and adjust and lube lightly... but the absolute key is how angles in the spinner wires on the spinners. They should not come straight out- they need to bend down a tiny bit- I took my good spinner (left side) out, scanned it both sides at high resolution so I have a permanent archive of what worked- then very very carefully bent the right spinner to match exactly the left- put it back in and the right now spins 70+ like the left... so I bent the other original (flag) spinner I had to match the left, put it in on the left side, and it works exactly the same as the one in the video-
I had been adjusting wires trying to make them all perfectly straight and all at right angles- thats NOT good.
Anyone wants more info I can post a image of the scan- I can assure you that adjusting the angle on the spinner wire is 50% of performance... you can have it lubed, have it barely making contact etc and it may go 30-40 times, then you change this and whalla- 60+

1. If you don't post the image, nobody knows what you're talking about, or at least I don't.

2. "Whalla?" Dude, it's voila...

#62 4 years ago

Pic coming... Been meaning too but was gone a few weeks and just looked on my computer and all I see are scans of the spinners I had out of the machine that are not adjusted properly. I will have to remove a spinner and scan it- no big deal, but it will be a few days.

And then- pictures as promised.

whalla!

#63 4 years ago

Grand Prix repainted
Now a few edges to clean up then 2 applications of clear coat

#64 4 years ago

cabinet or PF? Pics plz...

#65 4 years ago

Working on the mechs (pops and slings) I know the pops score 100 or 1000 when lit. Do the slings score anything?

1 week later
#66 4 years ago

Has anyone seen any tricks to get the bonus arrows to not as blatantly show the two individual bulbs in each one. The double lights are making my brain cranky...

#67 4 years ago

I am shopping out now. I plan on trying some diffusion in there. I'll report back prob tonight

1 week later
#68 4 years ago

Working through some issues on my machine. Besides the inlane roll overs is there any other way to score 10k? I am trying to track down a stuck switch which is resulting in a stuck relay which is causing a stuck chime coil.....sheesh!

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Working through some issues on my machine. Besides the inlane roll overs is there any other way to score 10k? I am trying to track down a stuck switch which is resulting in a stuck relay which is causing a stuck chime coil.....sheesh!

When you have double bonus lit then when you drain or shoot the collect saucers you are scoring in 10k increments.

1 week later
#70 4 years ago

Great thread. Inspiring as i start to restore my Grand Prix.
Does anyone know where i can get some or all the playfield plastics?

#71 4 years ago

Not remade to my knowledge. I would post to the ongoing EM seeking parts thread. You may be suprised!

I found someone with a set I grabbed- they are out there because so many games were made. Have patience.

#72 4 years ago

Grand Prix pinball exterior restencil completed. 3 coats of polyurethane added for protection.

Polished metal pieces!

Starting to put it all back together now.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

2 weeks later
#74 4 years ago

Just a few more polished parts this weekend and all the major parts will be done.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

#75 4 years ago

Polished side rails installed
Flipper buttons installed

image.jpeg

#76 4 years ago

The rest of the pieces are all polished.
More assembly on Monday!

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

1 month later
#77 4 years ago

Hey gang I am in the club! I finally got me a Grand Prix but its a little bit of a project and its my first EM project so lots of learning. Lights up but was not starting a game. I started off by cleaning the steppers in the backbox and in the cab (scrubbed the contacts and worked with the arms to get things stepping smoothly and validating spring. I have also checked all the fuses and they are good to go. I cleaned the contacts on all the relays in the cab and the startup now makes it to the score motor. But that just keeps spinning without stop and the Player 2 is showing lit and the Game Over is not lite.

I assume this is pointing me to the next problem, but not sure what that is. Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Seth

#78 4 years ago

Anyone have a spare right sling plastic?

#79 4 years ago

Polished upper arches and spacers attached.

Head unit attached.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

2 weeks later
#80 4 years ago

After 1.5 this delaminated cab, worn playfield, rusted metals Non working Grand Prix has been brought back to life.

Still more work to do

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

3 months later
#81 3 years ago

I need a shot of the switch stack on the bonus unit stepper (at least, I think it's the bonus unit - it's the one on the playfield between the flippers). One of my leafs broke off and I didn't take pics before I exploded it. It's the switch that is parallel to the playfield.

#82 3 years ago

Shoot me a pic of what you need and I'll get you one

#83 3 years ago

You went to a ton of trouble to restore the game, yet didn't paint the pedestal and painted the upper arch a color that isn't even near the original.

I normally am not real picky on color, it's hard to get them exact so close to original is good enough for me, but I'm just curious why you did this.

Inkochnito has repros for the dummy reels in case you were unaware.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from lmcdonald111:

Shoot me a pic of what you need and I'll get you one

I've got the switch leaf I need (slam tilt switches make great spares in a home-use game ) I just need a pic of the whole thing put back together. I think it's close to correct, but not sure on where the fish paper layer is supposed to go in the stack.

GrandPrix1_(resized).jpg

GrandPrix2_(resized).jpg

#85 3 years ago

Didn't paint the pedestal?
No idea what you mean

Painted the upper arch?

Explain?

If you are talking the upper arch in the playfield it is metal. So the paint was completely stripped and the metal polished to a mirror finish.

As was every metal piece that shows.

#86 3 years ago

Didn't paint the pedestal?
No idea what you mean
Painted the upper arch?
Explain?
If you are talking the upper arch in the playfield it is metal. So the paint was completely stripped and the metal polished to a mirror finish.
As was every metal piece that shows.

image-1_(resized).jpg

The pedestal sits between the cab and the head. The upper arch is supposed to be painted as shown in the pictures here.

#87 3 years ago

image-3_(resized).jpg
The pedestal sits between the cab and the head. The upper arch is supposed to be painted as shown in the pictures here.

#90 3 years ago

image-6_(resized).jpg

#93 3 years ago

Looking for one near Michigan, PM me if you're ready to sell.

#95 3 years ago

The pedestal is painted, white the color I wanted it.

All the score reels now have decals.

The only thing left is to strip and restenciled the apron.

The 2 upper arches were both stripped and polished to a high glossy shine as are all other metal pieces.

That was my preference.
The restoration is an expression of what I like.

#96 3 years ago

Let me know if this helps

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#97 3 years ago

Hopefully I won't be hated for this, but I've done two rethemes of Grand Prix machines. Now in my defense, the two playfields were pretty trashed, as were the black glasses (well, one not terrible and still have it) and the cabinets were not exactly great either. When I did these, I actually had a third playfield, and the third playfield which I still have, is in really good condition. That playfield was missing several mechs and one of the steppers had a fried coil, my best guess is that coil fried early in its life and it was pulled off location and then cannibalized.

The machines were re-themed in honor of a summer camp I used to work at, that was celebrating its 100th year. I had been wanting to do a retheme for it and played a buddies grand prix and immediately knew it was the perfect game (the row of lights would perfectly as 'bunk row' and 'tent row'). Given that is was celebrating a 100th anniversary, an EM seemed like the right thing, plus it would likely hold up better to a bunch of kinds banging on it, and that was a goal as well, to introduce 200 kids aged 8 to 15 to real pinball. The kids loved it.

The spinners, which look like the plaques the kids get at the end of the year that show what they did, rotate through activities, so Icons representing those, so as you do them, you advance up bunk or tent row)

Below are a few photos (I've got plenty more photos of the steps along the way as well as close ups of various sections, if anyone is interested, but did not want to upload a ton) . . . the first is proof it was a trashed playfield (second one was not quite as bad, but close enough)

If anyone has questions, happy to answer them. Again, don't hate me

IMG_0161_(resized).JPG

DSC_1223_(resized).JPG

DSC_1217_(resized).JPG

DSC_1220_(resized).jpeg

DSC_1221_(resized).JPG

#98 3 years ago

Fun!

If you are putting the time in then it should take on your flair.

#99 3 years ago
#100 3 years ago

Let me know if this helps

It does, thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, DE
800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Suffield, CT
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 42.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Little Shop Of Games
$ 150.00
Various Other Swag
Pinside Shop
There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside