Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jeffpm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My dad was playing a game of Grand Prix, and mid-ball I noticed the backbox lights flicker, and then the flippers wouldn't activate. The ball drained and then would not serve into the shooter lane. All lights come on, but when I turn the machine off and back on and press the start button, nothing happens. The tilt light is NOT on, and I don't think there's any way he tilted while playing because he doesn't nudge.

Does anybody know what's going on here?

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like a fuse may have gone. Check those, especially any associated with solenoid power.

#3 8 years ago

You'll need to see why the start button isn't working. Check to make sure there are credits on the game. Also, check the coin switches to make sure they are not stuck in the closed position... You can check to see if there is power at the start switch with a multimeter - set at AC 200 volt. If there is no power at the start button, clean the contacts on the reset relay and the score motor at the index stack/A position... If this doesn't work, we'll have to look at other switches in the start circuit...

#4 8 years ago

The game is set to free play and also since the issue arose during a game, could the coin switches have caused this?

I don't have a DMM with me since this is at my parents' house, but I will visually inspect the fuses and see if anything comes up.

#5 8 years ago

The 24 volt line fuse is blowing. I popped a new one in, turned the game on and it blew immediately. Does this mean something shorted during the game and is still shorting? Any particular place I should look first?

#6 8 years ago

Yep, sounds like something shorted somewhere. Try unplugging the playfield and starting a game. It should start even without a playfield. That will narrow down your search area.

#7 8 years ago

Well I had to leave my folks' house and won't be back til Christmas. Thinking it may be the bridge rectifier, I disconnected the AC leads and put in a new 15a fuse. Fuse still blew when I turned the game on. When I come back I will try disconnecting the playfield so thanks for the advice.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

Well I had to leave my folks' house and won't be back til Christmas. Thinking it may be the bridge rectifier, I disconnected the AC leads and put in a new 15a fuse. Fuse still blew when I turned the game on. When I come back I will try disconnecting the playfield so thanks for the advice.

The bridge rectifier has its own fuse.

You've got a shorted coil somewhere.

2 months later
#9 8 years ago

Got a chance to work on this over Christmas. The culprit ended up being a coil stop which had fallen off and was shorting. Also fixed an issue with the top saucer not advancing bonus by adjusting a switch on the top eject relay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-died-mid-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.