• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Thunder90
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzGrand-Prix-Work1-complex_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

I more or less agree- I would bet its not wiring, its not really wonky behavior- its just stuck.

What do the lights that indicate the number of players tell you, they are on the front right bottom of the glass in the head- do they indicate a 1,2,3 or 4 player game? I bet 4-

Those lights and the ball in play light are controlled by two different steppers, it could be that the ball unit stepper is grimy and stuck in the ball 1 position-. If its indicating a 4 player game every time, then the stepper unit for that is stuck on 4. I would bet a fair bit you have some disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly in your future. Your lucky the game starts so well, it could be worse!

The steppers are fairly obvious and if you have instructions for the game it will be fairly clear how they work, but if its your first EM, it may take a little playing to figure them out. I own this game and have been through every assembly and had them stripped down to pieces. Take a lot of photos, and take the stepper out of the game (leave the piece with the wires soldered to it in the game and the coils- you can then work on the rest). Its just some screws.... and a lot of photos from every angle...

Its almost certainly not a bent wiper, or wiring fault, its just stuck. Very common, these things never should be lubed- and inevitably over the last 40+ years someone ends up spraying it with WD-40 and it seizes up. Clean it to dry metal, read the myriad threads about lubrication (don't but for a very few spots), and put it all back together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-1?tu=rufessor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.