• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Thunder90
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zzGrand-Prix-Work1-complex_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello, First off I have been working on pinball machines for over 12 years now, but not much EM's. I acquired a Williams Grand Prix EM machine. Can't resist a free pinball machine even through it was not working. Not too long off I did get it working, but having one last problem I can't seem to fix and am asking for some help. Here is what its doing. Starts a one two or more player games fine, clears all scores and goes into play mode. After the first ball drains it then goes to player two, three and four. Even through you have not selected a second player or third etc. Never goes to the second ball. But if I move the ball in play to second ball, it will finish a game, no mater players in play. Will finish what you had selected. What must I do to get it to end ball 1 and move to ball two. I think I know it deals with the player, ball or coin unit, as these do move during other ball number changes. What contact is not just set right? Thanks for any help/light you can shed on this. Mike Willett

#5 7 years ago

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. I finely got some time to look at this again. Sorry everyone it appears I was not all the way clear on what was happening. So lets try this again.
1) Credits are on the display.
2) Push start button.
3) Machine clears all display scores, resets number of players and ball in play to 1 and kicks first ball into play.
4) At this time you could add additional players, (does add additional players if wanted), but lets just stay with one player at this time.
5) Play and scores find until the end of ball 1.
6) Ball 1 ends, machine adds up end of ball points, kicks ball back out and then moves to player 2 instead of ball 2.
7) This continues to happen to player 3 and then player 4. It then just stays on player 4 and never ends.
8) Game never wants to go to ball 2, but if I move the ball unit from ball 1 to ball 2 during testing or playing it will finish a game to the end.

Here is what I have done since we last talked:
Cleaned the following:
1) Ball unit - making sure wiper arms are touching the correct contacts as it moves - this was done on all of the following units.
2) Coin unit
3) Player unit - was completely dissembled, cleaned and reinstalled/tested.
4) Relays related to this section of the machine, making sure touching and wiping process looks good.

After all of this machine continues to do the same process as of above.

I did start trying to watch the process with the playfield up to see if I can tell what was happening during end of ball 1. Did find this interesting. I am able to activate ball index relay (this simulates a score) then activate outhole relay. Machine ends ball and play and should move to the next ball. I can see the ball unit activate, but its not enough to actually move it from ball 1 to ball 2. This works fine if on ball 2, 3, 4 and 5 to end the game.

I feel like the machine has a gremlin in it! Anyhow....

I never did do anything with the motor and contacts, could this be where I am needing to look?
Let me know what you think.
Again thanks for the help.

Mike Willett

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikespinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-1?tu=mikespinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.