Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180403_070529 (resized).jpg
20180403_070511 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a Grand Prix which plays mostly as expected, but whenever the 1,000s relay needs to fire (either from a direct 1,000pt score or from scoring enough 100s or 10s to roll over the 1000 digit) it sticks; it happens on all players. It unsticks when I manually actuate the 1,000 score reel on the selected player. The switches by the 1,000 scoring coil seem correct, and when I measure the selected players 1,000 reel coil I don't see any activation voltage across the score reel coil. I'm pretty new to EMs so please excuse some simple debugging I may not have done before asking here. Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

If the 1000 Point relay doesn't activate the 1000 Point score reels, the problem is likely in one of these 2 areas. Alligator clip jumper wires are the best way to diagnose problems like this one.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I jumped the scoring coil to the score reel advance coil; it sparked a bit but then freed right up. So jumping the coil then removing the jumper seems to have 'fixed it', I wonder if it was just switch corrosion that cleared up on a jump?

I noticed two other issues: One, the game never needs coins and always seems to start a 4 player game despite only pressing the start button once. Second, one of the chime coils locks on when I turn on the game; its the leftmost coil if you are looking in the coin door.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Second, one of the chime coils locks on when I turn on the game; its the leftmost coil if you are looking in the coin door.

Don't play the game or even leave it on for long with any coil (except hold relay) locked on. What are the 10 Point, 100 Point, 1000 Point and 10,000 Point relays doing? I'd need to know the wire color instead of the left/right position.

Quoted from Richthofen:

One, the game never needs coins and always seems to start a 4 player game despite only pressing the start button once.

Try manually resetting the Coin unit.

#5 6 years ago

More contact cleaning on the 1,000 reel switches fixed the stuck chime coil. However the ball advance relay sticks on for the first switch hit of the players ball, and won’t unstick until the ball drains and the next player is up.

Where is the coin unit?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Where is the coin unit?

Not sure but it looks like this.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

In the middle, toward the back of the bottom cabinet next to the ball count unit.

20180403_070511 (resized).jpg20180403_070511 (resized).jpg

20180403_070529 (resized).jpg20180403_070529 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-1000s-relay-stuck-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.