(Topic ID: 265822)

williams gorgar display issue

By arcadebeast

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DISPLAY_1382 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

the pin was working fine. when I turned it on last night players 3 & 4 were messed up. the bottom line on each digit was out. at a closer look, I saw that the resistor at R11 is burnt. I believe it's a 10k 10% 1/2 w. I replaced it with a 10k 5% 1/2 w. so with the backglass off it, I turned it back on and the resistor started smoking. any ideas on where I should start? thanks

DISPLAY_1382 (resized).JPGDISPLAY_1382 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Unplug player 3 and 4's displays, see if it's still smoking when you power up.

The next thing up is IC10 a 7180, hard to find IC so hopefully it's not that. If it stops smoking with the displays disconnected one of the displays is likely drawing a LOT of current to make the resistor smoke. IC9 is also a 7180 if you want to try and swap those, then R4 should smoke if it were the 7180.

See what's feeding it as well, there's 2 IC's on the schematic but I think the setup is only 1 is installed at a time IC7/IC8.... make one of those is smoked.
    Those you can test with a logic probe but don't put a probe on the outputs of the 7180's you will smoke your probe (-100 volts coming out of the chip, if I'm reading the schematic correctly, combined with the +100 at the display.....)

#3 4 years ago

Thanks slochar. Will do. I’ll let u know how I make out.

#4 4 years ago

I also noticed that first digit on player 1 display keeps flashes from 0 to 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gorgar-display-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.