20140209_215655.jpg
20140209_215639.jpg
image-57.jpg
image-188.jpg
image-679.jpg
image-734.jpg
lightdrinkmix.jpg
image.jpg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just got a Gorgar machine that when plugged in shows 496 1 on the scoreboard. I can't find anything related to this. What does it mean ?? Help. Thanks in advance.

#2 10 years ago

Its the game number Gorgar was Williams model number 496.

#3 10 years ago

does the game play?

#4 10 years ago

Your batteries are dead or you have a bad 5101 ram.

Open the coin door and flip the power switch a few times rapidly. If it comes up in attract mode your batteries are dead or need a new holder(REMOTE!)

If it refuses to go into attract mode with the power switch trick, than you have a 95% chance of a bad 5101 ram. 5% chance of other memory protect issues.

#5 10 years ago

With the coin door open, quickly flip the power switch ON-OFF-ON.

If the game starts up, you have dead batteries, or corrosion around the battery holder.

#6 10 years ago

Actually it then changed to 1496 1. It lights up, but does nothing. I haven't put any batteries in it. I'll get some in there then do the switch trick. When the coin door is open and you are about to click the power switch....should the toggle on the coin door be in manual ?

#7 10 years ago

You don't need batteries or the manual switch to be depressed.

Just, with the coin door open, quickly flip the power switch ON-OFF-ON.

#8 10 years ago

Not to sound dumb....but what does that do ? Clean the on/off switch contacts ??

#9 10 years ago

It boots the CPU without any batteries on board.

#10 10 years ago

Ahhhh. Thanks! Unfortunately the game is at my storage place and I won't be able to try it till tomorrow. I'm excited to get this machine going and restored !! Too bad I'm a rookie and this is my first pinball...at least it's a cool one !! (I think)

#11 10 years ago

It is really common for batteries to die then leak, destroying the battery holder or even the circuit board traces.

So that switch trick is a way to get the game up quickly.

#13 10 years ago

When I looked at the battery holder it didn't look like anything leaked around them, but I didn't look real hard at it. Nothing stood out, so I hope it's not damaged !

#14 10 years ago

If you bought it and no batteries (or the orig carbon batteries) were installed, that is a good sign.

#15 10 years ago

There were batteries tossed in the coin box. And spare lights and a board (the one that controls all the solenoids)

#16 10 years ago

Enjoy getting your feet wet working on games. I think it can be lots of fun. You picked a great title to get started!

#17 10 years ago

Well I did the on/off real fast thing and it goes into attract mode, but nothing else. It has no batteries still but that area looks nice and clean.

#18 10 years ago

Good.

Now coin up the game and hit the start button.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

Well I did the on/off real fast thing and it goes into attract mode, but nothing else. It has no batteries still but that area looks nice and clean.

Forgive me if you already tried this, but did you credit up? It is probably not set for free play. Great game, btw!

Edit: Vid beat me to the post by 4 sec!

#20 10 years ago

It accepted a credit, but no solenoids popped, no vocals other than "got" and "hurt".

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Edit: Vid beat me to the post by 4 sec!

That's how I do.

lol

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

It accepted a credit, but no solenoids popped, no vocals other than "got" and "hurt".

Check the solenoid fuse, from memory it's 2.5A. Pull it and check it with your meter - don't check it in circuit.

Rebuild 40 pin connector:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#23 10 years ago

Man I'm lost in space when it comes to this game. I pressed the little button on the sound board by the dip switches and it plays all of the sounds, but when the game is attempting to play (no solenoids work) only 2 words are spoken as I reach around the playfield hitting various targets. Not sure why no solenoids work at all except the flippers, no credit knock or any other. Being new to all this sucks, but I guess getting this particular machine going appears like it'll give me a boatload of experience right off the bat ! My problem is the order of trouble shooting this machine. I have power, so that is off the list. It goes into attract mode with no sound(not sure if that is normal or not). Targets all make appropriate (I think) sounds when hit. Some of those small wire sensors where the ball rolls over it (like the Shute to the flipper) are WAY sensitive and give too many points. Lots to learn and lots of work ahead of me !!

#24 10 years ago

Dub,

Your 2.5amp slow blow fuse on the power board is likely blown. It handles all solenoids except the flippers.

#25 10 years ago

You've already confirmed that the sounds are working from the soundboard through to the speaker. That's a big chunk of the work to fix it eliminated. It more or less means the problem is likely on the driver board, or the connection between the driver board and sound board.

EDIT- Or like barakandl said, the fuse that controls all those solenoids.

If it works at the source, but not at the destination, there's a problem between the two points. I'll let someone more experienced than me continue that train of thought, but if you take it slow and go off of what you know (make sure you know what you know, easier said than done) it's the systematic elimination of points of failure that'll eventually get you to the answer.

#26 10 years ago

I don't think it has any sounds during attract mode so you may be pretty close. Check that fuse as suggested, that may be all that's going (assuming that fuse doesn't keep blowing).

#27 10 years ago

I figured if the sound source is good and it plays through the speaker, then whatever tells particular sounds to play based off the playfield action is the next step. This machine does have a non original power supply. It has a PinScore PJ-7999-HV. I hope that is a plus ???

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Cali9dub:

It has a PinScore PJ-7999-HV. I hope that is a plus ???

Yes, that saves you a lot of work bulletproofing the old power supply.

#29 10 years ago

Try wiggling 2J9 (bottom left plug on the driver board) and see if that affects your sounds at all. Lots of times the headers suck and need to be replaced or at the absolute minimum resoldered.

But really all these steps are kind of a waste of time until you rework the driver board as in vid's guide.

#30 10 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I'll be all over this thing tomorrow. I wish it was in my living room to be able to work on instead of 20 minutes away. Grrrrr !!

#31 10 years ago

All my solenoids went at one time as well....it was indeed the 2.5amp slow blow fuse. Replaced it and voila...back in action! Yes....GORGAR has no sound in attract mode...you are good there.

#32 10 years ago

Congrats on your fix.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

All my solenoids went at one time as well....it was indeed the 2.5amp slow blow fuse. Replaced it and voila...back in action! Yes....GORGAR has no sound in attract mode...you are good there.

Hopefully this is the case...fuse looked good, but I didn't test it (fingers crossed)

#34 10 years ago

Replaced the solenoid fuse and batteries and solenoids tested(got a couple bad ) but the 2 fuses on the upper right of the sound board blew while running the diagnostics...anyone know why?

#35 10 years ago

Can be bad bridge rectifier on the sound board.

#36 10 years ago

When the fuses blow on this sound board it is almost always the bridge rectifier shorting. Do you have a DMM with diode test? I would check the bridge rectifier diodes, watch a youtube video if you need help.

If this bridge is bad it will need to be replaced. If the bridge isnt bad check the connectors for problems. If they look good measure the AC input voltage on the two outside pins and across middle to outside. Also maybe a filter cap across the 5v rail went short, so check the caps (electrolytic ones probably need replaced if they are factory). Lastly i would suspect the 7805 voltage regulator.

#37 10 years ago

Connectors are horrible. One just slides right off and doesn't even lock in. You could blow it off the pins.

#38 10 years ago

Can anyone suggest where to get upgraded connectors and which ones would be best? Also, do I need to replace every connector on every board or are there ones that are ok to keep? Thanks for all your help. I'm progressing slowly but surely. Everyday Gorgar gets closer and closer to running 100%. Baby steps.....

#39 10 years ago

Well WMS really f'd up on there male header pins during the Gorgar era. On the solder side the pins are cut so damn short, it is really hard to get a reliable solder joint.

Mandatory to replace i would consider the power input ones on the MPU and driver board. The rest i would replace as needed. Every single connector solder joint will probably need checked / resoldered. The interconnect should be repalced as well. GPE carries them.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2400-3-96mm/housing-connector-3-96mm-9-pins.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/wafer-housing-crimp-terminal/serie-2400-3-96mm/wafer-connector-3-96mm-9-pins.html

#40 10 years ago

So IJ1-IJ7 for sure....should any of the connecting wire bundles be replaced or do they hold up well ? Thanks again guys !

#41 10 years ago

With Gorgar, you probably still have crimp pin style wire connectors, so they tend to be more reliable than the later IDC style. The wire itself usually doesn't need to be replaced, just the connectors from time to time.

-Hans

#42 10 years ago

Replace the male pins with square ones, they have more surface area.

Replace the female contacts with Trifurcon style crimp connectors. These make contact on 3 sides - again much more surface area.

#43 10 years ago

........and the most important thing - DO NOT forget the little plastic keying plugs that keep you from putting on the wrong connectors!

#44 10 years ago

Anyone know if a Williams Space Mission coin door will fit a Gorgar machine? I don't know anything about coin doors...looks the same ??

#45 10 years ago

Oh. I know how folks like pics. This is the only one I have so far of the back glass right before clear coating the back.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#46 10 years ago

Space mission is an EM I believe, you would have to use the wiring from your Gorgar with it, but they are the same coin doors.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Gnatty:

Space mission is an EM I believe, you would have to use the wiring from your Gorgar with it, but they are the same coin doors.

Cool. Mine has dents, but works fine. I like the "dollar" slot in the center of mine...I guess for Susan B Anthony dollars ??

#48 10 years ago

Does any place sell the plastic light isolator surrounds that are on the back box? I haven't found any.

#49 10 years ago

Cut them from the square plastic cans that drink mix packets come in.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cut them from the square plastic cans that drink mix packets come in.

Not familiar with them ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gorgar-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.