(Topic ID: 179112)

[Solved] Williams Gold Rush Bell coils staying energized.

By Scottiedot

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My Williams Gold Rush has an issue with the bell. the 100 point relay intermittently stays engaged causing the bell coil to remain energized. I looked at the schematic and it appears that only the 100 and 1000 point relays cause the bell to ring, and it doesn't seem to matter which 100 point switch cause the relay to stay engaged. any ideas?

#2 7 years ago

First check if the 100 point relay is dirty. If so, clean and adjust the contact points on the switches to make sure they are clean. Sometimes you'll need to "scrub" the points with a flexstone to get them clean. Next check all the playfield features that score 100 points or multiples of 100 points to see if their switches are adjusted properly...

#3 7 years ago

The 100 point score unit has an end-of-stroke (EOS) switch that needs to open when the drive arm retracts far enough to advance the reel. When energized by a brief playfield switch closure, the 100 point relay locks itself on electrically and stays energized until the EOS switch on the 100 point score unit opens to release it.

In other words, the purpose of the point relay is to act as a pulse-stretcher, keeping the power on to the score unit drive coil long enough to reliably advance the score unit.

If the EOS switch on the 100 point score unit isn't opening when the drive arm is pulled in by the solenoid, you'll get the problem you describe.

- TimMe

#4 7 years ago

just saw this post. Same issue on my Big Hit. Thanks for the info, will try this.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

The 100 point score unit has an end-of-stroke (EOS) switch that needs to open when the drive arm retracts far enough to advance the reel. When energized by a brief playfield switch closure, the 100 point relay locks itself on electrically and stays energized until the EOS switch on the 100 point score unit opens to release it.
In other words, the purpose of the point relay is to act as a pulse-stretcher, keeping the power on to the score unit drive coil long enough to reliably advance the score unit.
If the EOS switch on the 100 point score unit isn't opening when the drive arm is pulled in by the solenoid, you'll get the problem you describe.
- TimMe

Thanks! it didn't occour to me that this could have been a score reel issue, I confirmed it was by starting a multi player game. sure enough, the problem was only present for player 1. 100 point score reel switches cleaned and adjusted and we're good to go!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gold-rush-bell-coils-staying-energized and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.