(Topic ID: 267017)

Williams Funhouse Mirrored Backglass vs. 3D Translite ?

By kps411

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image4 (resized).jpeg
image3 (resized).jpeg
image2 (resized).jpeg
image1 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi, I am NEWB here! 1st post
I'm replacing the original translite in my Funhouse (it's tired looking) and am looking at 2 options.
1. is the 3D translite @ $200
2. is a Mirrored Backglass @ $375
Has anyone had personal experience and /or opinions on either ? or better yet one vs. the other ?
Thanks in Advance - Ken

#2 4 years ago

If it’s down to one or the other, my vote would go to the mirrored. It’s classier, and pays homage to mirrored backglasses of yore.

I feel like the 3D ones look too much like my cheap holographic trapper keeper I had in middle school.

#3 4 years ago

CPR's Mirrored Funhouse Backglass is only $ 269 ( not $375 )
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/funhouse-3/

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from kps411:

Hi, I am NEWB here! 1st post
I'm replacing the original translite in my Funhouse (it's tired looking) and am looking at 2 options.
1. is the 3D translite @ $200
2. is a Mirrored Backglass @ $375
Has anyone had personal experience and /or opinions on either ? or better yet one vs. the other ?
Thanks in Advance - Ken

what plans do you have for the old backglass? Its my grail pin but I sadly cant afford it yet.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

what plans do you have for the old backglass? Its my grail pin but I sadly cant afford it yet.

It has a thin 5-7" scratch on the back pretty much in the middle, that is visible when head it lit, its not awful but 100% noticeable - I was going to put it on ebay for like $45 + $12 shipping ?? or do an auction. I can post some pics if you like I am open to any reasonable offer, but cant ship for a week or so until new on shows up - I went with the Mirrored @ $305 including shipping (I had the wrong price earlier) TY - Ken

#6 4 years ago

I have the 3d translite installed in mine, only because the original translite is faded and didn't look so good after i completed my restoration. While it has grown on me, i feel as though it has more cons then pros

It is much thicker then the original causing the side trim of the backglass to not fit back on, and i had to leave it off, not sure if there is a "kit" available to suit these translites. Leaving the side trim off causes movement of the backglass at times

Unless standing directly in front of the machine to look at the translite, it can be slightly blurry in parts making it hard to view in some areas

I feel as though being a Funhouse, it deserves a bit more "class" while staying true to the original, and would probably suit the mirrored version imo

I have taken some photos of mine, but its almost impossible to capture the 3d effect on camera

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpeg
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from kps411:

It has a thin 5-7" scratch on the back pretty much in the middle, that is visible when head it lit, its not awful but 100% noticeable - I was going to put it on ebay for like $45 + $12 shipping ?? or do an auction. I can post some pics if you like I am open to any reasonable offer, but cant ship for a week or so until new on shows up - I went with the Mirrored @ $305 including shipping (I had the wrong price earlier) TY - Ken

sending you a pm.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on this, didn't realize they had dropped the price!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

I have the 3d translite installed in mine, only because the original translite is faded and didn't look so good after i completed my restoration. While it has grown on me, i feel as though it has more cons then pros
It is much thicker then the original causing the side trim of the backglass to not fit back on, and i had to leave it off, not sure if there is a "kit" available to suit these translites. Leaving the side trim off causes movement of the backglass at times
Unless standing directly in front of the machine to look at the translite, it can be slightly blurry in parts making it hard to view in some areas
I feel as though being a Funhouse, it deserves a bit more "class" while staying true to the original, and would probably suit the mirrored version imo
I have taken some photos of mine, but its almost impossible to capture the 3d effect on camera[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for posting the pics and your review. The pics are great and you saved me from buying one. I really wanted one, but the colors aren’t that great when lit up. I’ll probably end up with the mirrored glass one from CPR

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Scroat:

Thanks for posting the pics and your review. The pics are great and you saved me from buying one. I really wanted one, but the colors aren’t that great when lit up. I’ll probably end up with the mirrored glass one from CPR

No problem at all, glad it helped you make your decision. Enjoy Funhouse!!

2 years later
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Scroat:

I realize this is an old thread but CPR is still selling these. I just installed one in my Funhouse and it really does look nice and is a huge improvement over the translight. That said $300 for this is kind of pricy but when you have a CQ FH that you paid a lot of money for, what's another 3 hundy?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from imnitguy:

I realize this is an old thread but CPR is still selling these. I just installed one in my Funhouse and it really does look nice and is a huge improvement over the translight. That said $300 for this is kind of pricy but when you have a CQ FH that you paid a lot of money for, what's another 3 hundy?

When you compare the $300 to the price of things like ColorDMD, any Stern animated Shooter for AIQ/JP/GZ, powercoated rails, any factory toppers, and even some of the other engineered MODS (Like Stumbler's line of GZ mods), it's not that much! Those mirrored backglasses do look amazing, and if you are keeping the machine, you'll be glad you did it while they are available.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-funhouse-mirrored-backglass-vs-3d-translite-?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.