• Latest reply 6 years ago by HowardR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png

#1 6 years ago

I got a Fun Fest pin recently and I'm having start up problems. First off, I got the game knowing it need a full cleaning, adjusting, burned coils replaced, stepper units cleaned and lubed, etc. I have spent a few days just going through those procedures to get it ready. I've tested all coils by jumpering them, so those all work.
When I start it up, the pin will not proceed to player one or beyond. The player step up will not advance. If I jumper the coin relay, the player one starts, and if I jumper the coin stepper unit, it goes to player two, etc. So, I am not sure what natural procedure is supposed to get all that going. I have to jumper the ball count unit as well to get it going. If I have more than one player involved, it stays on player one after ball drain.
Thank you.

#2 6 years ago

Oops. let me update. I didn't realize the credit wheel had gone to zero, but I added the credits, so it does get started and adds the players. However, it will not progress to player two and beyond when the ball drains after player one, etc as I stated earlier.
Thanks

#3 6 years ago

Fun Fest was my first pin and it took me forever to learn and get it going right! I had the same problem (among others) and it turned out to be crud in the Ball Index relay lock circuit, score motor 3A.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from nightfire:

the pin will not proceed to player one or beyond. The player step up will not advance. If I jumper the coin relay, the player one starts, and if I jumper the coin stepper unit, it goes to player two, etc. So, I am not sure what natural procedure is supposed to get all that going. I have to jumper the ball count unit as well to get it going. If I have more than one player involved, it stays on player one after ball drain.

Is it that the game won't go into 2 player mode (Coin unit), or that that it goes into 2 player mode but won't go to the second player (Player unit)?

#5 6 years ago

Howard, It will go into all 4 player modes, but will stay on player one every time the ball drains. I did clean and adjust the player unit. It was a mess, but I have it working smoothly by hand and the coil works.

curriedog, that will be my next look-see in a couple hours here!

Walt

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from nightfire:

When I start it up, the pin will not proceed to player one or beyond. The player step up will not advance

Hi Walt,
I suspect the switch on the Extra Ball relay but really it could be anywhere on this circuit.
H.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Howard has it pegged. Check, clean, and adjust those 5 switches. Do them one at a time if you want to learn the culprit or just work on all 5 to inspect the health of the switches.

It's a common issue. I have a couple Williams 4-player EMs and have had each one do the same thing as your FF.

#8 6 years ago

Better yet, use Alligator Jumper Wires to find the problem switch or connection as described in
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#9 6 years ago

Ok... The suggested coil jumper wiring test did not seem to work. It still does not advance when jumping one coil at a time. So maybe more than one part of the system is faulty...? Although occasionally it does go through the procedures normally when I drain. But generally, if I watch the coils while hitting the drain, I do notice the outhole relay and the ball index relay do not move, so it usually will not advance.
Another thing.. the ball index never advances to ball two and beyond, it always stays on ball one.
Lastly, If I go to a two player mode and I drain after ball one and get the player two to advance, I will then do the same again with the drain, and instead of going back to player one, it will go to player three and then again to player four , being on a two player game. Make any sense??
Walt

#10 6 years ago

Hi nightfire
I pick the problem "starting a game". Instead of jumpering the Coin-Relay: Try to press the armature (anchor plate) on the Coin-Relay (and then let go) - does this start a game ?

The flyer in ipdb http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=972&picno=4492&zoom=1 says "one or two or three Coin-Chute(s)" --- what do You have ?
IF (if, if) You have a 10-Cent-Chute and/or a 5-Cent-Chute You could try to adjust "one Coin thrown-in makes the Coin-Relay pull-in and so starts a game" (and we look later on the more complicated problem of "pressing the Replay-Button shall start a game").
Nice, ipdb has the schematics and the manual http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/972/Williams_1973_Fun_Fest_Instruction_Manual_no_schematics.pdf --- on page-10 (ori-8) are the Adj-Plugs --- set the 10-Cent-Adj to "1" --- when You have the 5-Cent-Chute: Set the 5-Cent-Adj to "1 Coin".
When You look-up in the schematics You will see: These settings make the Coin-Relay to pull-in and so starting a game. Greetings Rolf

#11 6 years ago

You're not looking to jumper the coils, you want to jumper the switches.

For example, you might locate the extra ball relay, find the proper switch, and put an alligator clip across the 2 tab ends (where the respective wires are soldered) to short them and positively ensure the switch itself is conducting. Then test and see if the problem still occurs. If the issue remains, move to one of the other switches and use whatever means to ensure it is conducting, and test again.

#12 6 years ago

Runbike.. Sorry, I stated wrong. I DID actually jumper the switches, not the coils. Sorry for that misnomer. But I will double check w/your process.
Walt

#13 6 years ago

Rolf,
The coin chutes are set up like you suggested, they were like that originally. Like I stated though, the coin relay engages and starts a game with the push of the start button. Push it again and it advances to two player, again to three player, and again for the forth player. That all works fine. The problem is, if you play a game on player one, the ball drains and then stays on player one. It will not advance to player two. The ball count will not advance after playing cycle either.
Walt

#14 6 years ago

Hi Walt
HowardR 's snippet in post-6 has a fork-off upwards to Score-Motor-Switch-1-B. There upwards runs current to step the Ball-Count-Unit. Horizontal the current flows to step on the Player-Unit.
When in a ONE-Player-Game You are always on Ball-1 --- and in an 2,3,4-Player-Game You are always on Player-1-Ball-1: The fault is (99%) in the left half of the snippet. When You make points - DOES the Ball-Index-Relay pull-in and stays pulling and so closes (truely ?) the "Switch on Ball-Index-Relay with wires soldered-on: Red-White, Brown-Red" ? Greetings Rolf

#15 6 years ago

Walt, did you try that motor switch I suggested? And how is your ball trough relay if that did not work?

#16 6 years ago

curried... Yeah, I did check that switch. It was part of my initial cleaning and adjusting process right from the start, and I did check it again after you mentioned it. The ball trough relay is working also.. Mind you, I am still a novice at this, but I feel confident with what I have done so far, but somehow I'm overlooking something after all the coil checks and switch checks I have been through. I'm still on a long learning curve when it comes to diagnosing problems... frustrating.
Walt

#17 6 years ago

Walt-I went over my F-F enough times that I have the schematic, manual, and switches memorized. Did you do a thorough check for loose wires/connections? It will feel great when you finally get it, believe me.

#18 6 years ago

curried.. Is there a specific order I should check things in? Like going down the line from switch Y, to coil X to coil Z to stepper Q, etc?
I do have the schematic and the manual, as well. I have also been through that innumerable times, so I can use that too.
I have other pins that had connection issues that I had to fix to get working, so I know it can be a job. You can't tell by just looking..
On this FF game, none of the player-up lights work, although that is minor, but it tells me there IS connection issues. This game was a mess when I got it, but it cleaned up well, and it doesn't seem far off from working.
Walt

#19 6 years ago

I just want to confirm with you guys before I keep spinning my wheels. I get current through switches with my ohm meter that are normally open. I put my leads on each switch contact set that are in the open position, but I'm getting a reading on some of them... Normal??
Walt

#20 6 years ago

I don't think the order matters so much as making sure all connections are good. Player up lights are on the F M/B switch on the Game Over relay, which is a pita to get to on F-F. Another switch there, the NO D sw. could be affecting things, too. M/B switches are sometimes hard to get right and the ones on the Ball Index and Outhole (D) relays are both crucial.

#21 6 years ago

If you're still having trouble with the Player unit not advancing and my posts #6 and #8 don't make sense to you we can talk on the phone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
Other
$ 12.99
Flipper Parts
Arcade Adventures
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fun-fest-start-up-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.