Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coin_Unit_Start_Position_1Player_(resized).jpg
sch_snippet_(resized).jpg
Player_Unit_Spring_side_(resized).jpg
Player_Unit_disc_side_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi, I got my first project machine, a Williams Fun Fest. I currently have a 100% playing Williams Swinger that I’ve had for about 10 years now. I have no history about this Fun Fest machine other than it’s all there. Which it is. At this point I did the following.. (Sorry for the long post),,, I do have a schematic and manual….

Vacuumed out the head and cabinet, Replaced all rubbers, initial playfield cleaning, rebuilt both flippers, rebuilt plunger rod, checked ohms on all coils and they were inline to the chart I found online, fixed a few broken wires, disassembled/cleaned/reassembled all the score reels, fixed knocker (broken wire to coil lug and broken wire to jones plug).

Once I assembled the head to the cabinet, powered it up I was on my way to finding and fixing other issues (Fixed match unit, realigned, Fixed replay reel, broken wire on coil lug, Fixed Player unit (game always on Player 2, realigned), Fixed kick-out hole at top of playfield (broken hole plate), Fixed Ball Return kick-out on left side drain.

So at this point, I can now play complete 3 or 5 ball games, 1 player or 2 player or 3 player or 4 player games.
I have 2 issues right now and Im stumped.
#1. When I press the credit button (red button) on front of cabinet to start a single game or multi-player game, the Replay reel decrements accordingly, the game plays like it should, but the “1 to 4 Can Play” lights for 1,3,4 do not work but the 2 does work. I replaced the bulbs with new, I was able to test the bulb sockets and they all are good. I even jumpered a light socket to the “Coin Unit” at the 4 different locations on the board and the jumpered lights did light accordingly to the number of Players I chose. Is this telling me I have broken wires for 1,3,4 from the “Coin Unit” to those light sockets? I did not unravel the wiring harness from the “Coin Unit” to start tracing for a break, I was wondering what the easiest approach is before I do that.

#2. When the bottom left rebound kicker is activated, the kicker, kicks the ball as it should but it does not record any points (10 points) and does not activate the chime. This issue occurs for 1 player or 2 player or 3 player or 4 player games. More broke wires?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and assist in fixing these issues.

#2 7 years ago

Hi smohr.
chk the schematic for the 1-4 lights, I think the coin unit sends signal to player unit, to lites.
shud not be too difficult to trace.
there may be an alignment issue on one of them. or a spider finger is bent???
chk the schematic again for the kicker coils, follow it back to the 10 point relay. thats a simple circuit too.
I dont have either of those, so, guessing a little here.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

Hi smohr.
chk the schematic for the 1-4 lights, I think the coin unit sends signal to player unit, to lites.
shud not be too difficult to trace.
there may be an alignment issue on one of them. or a spider finger is bent???
chk the schematic again for the kicker coils, follow it back to the 10 point relay. thats a simple circuit too.
I dont have either of those, so, guessing a little here.

This is exactly right. I have a Fun Fest, and ran into some similar problems. Clean the contacts on the player stepper unit. The kicker coil-- IIRC it's wired to the outlane switch. Check that switch as well. I can take a look at the schematic and get back to you with my thoughts if you can't figure it out.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the insight... I think I'm on to something... Issue #2...

The outlane switch wiring looked OK. (Similar to the Swinger). So what I did was I jumperd the end tabs of the kicker switch stack and the 10 point reel advanced and the chime sounded. So, I'm thinking it's actually that switch stack of the kicker.

I still need to follow-up on the "1 to 4 Can Play" lights..

thanks
Steve

#5 7 years ago

Update: The Good... The Same...

Good:
Issue #2- The lower left kicker switch had a bad solder. I resoldered the kicker switch and the 10 point scoring and chime now works.

Same:
Issue #1- I cleaned the contacts of the player unit. Can my start alignment position be confirmed by the attached photos. I do have replacement springs on order for this unit. The clock spring is wound 4 times. It advances and returns as it should. I still get the same results with the "Can Play" lights. I'm checking some relays now to see if I can see a difference from when I select 1 Player Game to a 2 Player Game (since the "2 Can Play" light works. Or should I be directing my attention somewhere else.

thanks
Steve

Player_Unit_disc_side_(resized).jpgPlayer_Unit_disc_side_(resized).jpg

Player_Unit_Spring_side_(resized).jpgPlayer_Unit_Spring_side_(resized).jpg

sch_snippet_(resized).jpgsch_snippet_(resized).jpg

Coin_Unit_Start_Position_1Player_(resized).jpgCoin_Unit_Start_Position_1Player_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

According to the schematic those lights are driven directly off the coin unit. Check for good contact there based on the schematic wire colours.

Page 12 of the manual (on ipdb.org) has a diagram of the coin unit that shows how the lights are driven. Maybe not enough tension on one of the spider fingers that sweeps over those contacts.

#7 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

"Can Play" light issue is resolved!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
All suggestions I checked seemed OK. So I started from the beginning again... checking for continuity.

So what I wound up doing was I traced the wire from the Coin Unit to the Jones plug again (topside). I found continuity on the topside of the plug and noticed that I did not clean the post connections of this Jones plug (all others were cleaned, I overlooked this one). I tested continuity to the post, nothing on 1, 3,4 but 2 was good. I then cleaned ALL the posts on the Jones plug and BINGO, continuity on all 4 posts. I plugged everything back in and BINGO all lights 1,2,3,4 for the "Can Play" are now working.

I'll remember this as "Check the easy stuff" it may save you time and aggravation, but it's also a learning experience that won't be forgotten.

Thanks again for your assistance
Steve

#8 7 years ago

Great to hear! Good to know that ritually cleaning up the jones plugs is worth it!

#9 7 years ago

Glad you've got it running right.

Mine gave me fits when I first got it, but it's been rock solid reliable since I got it sorted out.

3 months later
#10 7 years ago

Just found this post, have a Fun Fest with a couple issues that have been stumping me a bit (100 scoring was working fine, then stopped a few days ago) so the check the simple stuff advice here just clicked. Will be cleaning and checking the jones plugs and other basic connections before doing anything else. If still can't get issues fixed, will start a new thread asking for help. Being a "newbie" (less than a year) in pins, reading other peoples issues / advice has been really a great help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fun-fest-project-1-to-4-can-play%e2%80%9d-lights-rebound-kicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.