• Latest reply 6 months ago by vipertblck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180204_213226 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

have a grand prix that one flipper is "sluggish". meaning it won't come back and return to the rest position unless you push it or the ball hits it. it's the rod assembly, not the coil, coil plunger moves freely when disconnected from the flipper linkage. so, i've removed the 2 screws at the bottom of the linkage, not it LOOKS like the flipper and rod assy should just slide apart, but it doesn't. how do these flipper assemblies come apart?

#2 6 months ago

If you loosen the two hex head slotted bolts, the plate, the bakelite link and the plunger assembly should simply pull out.
IMG_20180204_213226 (resized).jpg

However, it could be that the bolts were screwed in so tight that the steel shaft might be mangled to a point that the plate just won't slide out.
So you will have to twist the plate back and forth working it as you pull it out while holding the flipper from the other side.

After, you'll likely need to use a fine file to smooth the shaft again.

On reinstall, switch the flippers (right one to left side and left to right). Chances are the screws will have a clean surface to bite on.

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from Fred736:

If you loosen the two hex head slotted bolts, the plate, the bakelite link and the plunger assembly should simply pull out.
[quoted image]
However, it could be that the bolts were screwed in so tight that the steel shaft might be mangled to a point that the plate just won't slide out.
So you will have to twist the plate back and forth working it as you pull it out while holding the flipper from the other side.
After, you'll likely need to use a fine file to smooth the shaft again.
On reinstall, switch the flippers (right one to left side and left to right). Chances are the screws will have a clean surface to bite on.

this was kinda what i figured, i disconnected the coil plunger assy so i have that plate with those 2 screws in it that the shaft goes into now just stuck. that's where my problem is at because when you wiggle it by hand and act as if the flipper is moving, it's stuck as though it's gummed up inside. do these bakelite pieces (plastic one screwed to the playfield that the shaft goes through) wear out ? my goal here is to just free up the flipper. ill shoot some penetrant in there for the day and try gettin it loose from the shaft later tonight. the flipper and shaft comes out as one assembly then right?

#4 6 months ago

Yeah, those white plastic bushing can wear out. They are however easy to buy. Marcos, PBR and many more all have them.
And yes, the flipper and shaft will come out as one.
You can try the penetrant but be careful not to muck up the surrounding area when you spray it in.
Im still thinking that after you insured that those bolts are backed up enought, might as well remove them completely, just hold onto the flipper with one hand and to the plate/lever with the other and twist and pull.

#5 6 months ago

On original flipper bats from that era, there is a recess in the shaft where the set screws contact the shaft. This recess leaves room for the divot the set screws make in the shaft when tightened. If someone installed modern flipper bats without the divot, you will have a very hard time getting the two apart as the malformation of the shaft basically "pins" the two parts together. Best bet is to remove the screws completely and see if you twist them apart. If the wrong bats were used, you may need stronger tools or possibly drill out the parts.

#6 6 months ago

all is well now, you were both right. i removed the screws completely just to be sure, and the shafts DID have the small indent at the bottom for the screws to go into when tightened. anyway i guess it was just dirty and gummed up. after cleaning it off and getting rid of all the gunk, i put it back together dry and it's spot on now!

thanks for all the help and input!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside