Williams Flash with multiple issues

By YoungPandas

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi All!

First off - my name is Mike, from Providence, RI and I'm both brand new to pinball machine ownership and to Pinside, despite being a pinballer for years. I'm excited to own my first two machines. One is a Gottlieb Hi Dolly EM machine, and the other is a Williams Flash.

The Williams Flash was a home use only machine - the coin door is pristine, the cabinet is in perfect shape. It played great when I bought it a week ago. The 5 CPUs were replaced with 3 by a pro in the area.

The first issue began with the upper right flipper sticking, but that eventually stopped. It still sticks for a brief second if I hold the right flipper button in, and then releases - sounds like an electrical thing.

Once that issue worked out, however, other strange things started to occur. Sometimes during a game the knocker would go nuts and a ton of credits would be added out of nowhere, then the machine would tilt randomly and I would have to reboot. Sometimes the LED displays would go nuts until I shut down and rebooted one more time.

Today, in the middle of a game, it did both of those things. When I pressed the start button, a new game started, but the ball would not eject into the launch chute (coil just wasn't activating) so I tried shutting down and rebooting. After a few tries, the start button went dead and would no longer start a game. I opened up the head to find that the fuse for the coils was blown. I replaced it, turned the machine back on, but it is still having the same issues. I've tested every fuse with the multimeter, and they're all good.

The machine turns on, there is general illumination. When I go into diagnostics mode, the flippers all work, but nothing else does (slingshots, etc) but I also have not learned how to do the diagnostics properly yet, so I may just be in the wrong mode.

Can anyone help here? Do you think this is a driver board issue? It seems like too many things were affected for it to be just electrical. Did something short?

#2 8 years ago

Your symptoms sound like the software is crashing. The cause of software crashing in these games is usually physical connections at the 40 pin interconnect between the MPU and Driver and crummy IC sockets on the MPU.

When the software run wild, it can lock on solenoids which will blow the fuse. Pretty common to have the solenoid fuse blow because the software crashes.

If you think there is switch problems causing tilts, you can remove the switch connectors (two 9pin plugs at top right of driver board) and close switches right at the connector pins to see if the driver board is functioning properly.

#3 8 years ago

Hey barakandi, I think you're right. Here's an update - after learning and understanding diagnostics better, I set the game to free play mode after doing a factory reset - start button works again and starts games. All the switches work in test mode - here's the thing - it's all the special solenoids that don't work now (I believe the ball launch is one of them, isn't it?) So, I've replaced the fuse, and the flippers work, but the special solenoids do not. Are they powered by a different fuse? Am I missing something?

#4 8 years ago

The special solenoids in flash are going to be the pop bumpers and maybe the sling shots. The flipper relay could be considered a special solenoid kind of as well.

By original design, the flippers are going to use a different fuse than the solenoids. Check the 2.5amp slow blow fuse on the power board. There should be a sticker up in the back box somewhere that tells you which one is the solenoids, 2.5a sb fuse.

When the software crashes, it can scramble the ram, which may turn off free play.

#5 8 years ago

That actually was the fuse that blew, and is the one I replaced. After replacing it though, the special solenoids still don't work. Did something else short out?

#6 8 years ago

Have a close look at the coin switches. On those machines, they are always getting mangled and often short against the metal parts. This grounds the switch matrix and causes all sorts of weird behavior. You can set the game to free play by setting the max credits register (18 I think) to zero. This eliminates the need to touch them again.

If you get stuck, I can come to you and repair it. I do this for a living, so rates would apply.

1 week later
#7 8 years ago

For those interested, I went out and repaired this. There were two problems: a bad Scanbe PIA socket (No such thing as a good Scanbe!) and a pinched wire on the playfield which was shorting two rows together. The upper flipper was sticking on its EOS switch. Cleaning was all that was needed there.

I did the original work on the MPU and changed out the yellow roms to green ones. One thing I hadn't realized was that the adjustment table changed with the green roms. I always thought Flash was Flash, but no, you have to have the correct table for your roms.

The coin switches were fine.

#8 8 years ago

I had the same problem with the setting on my flash when I swapped out the flipper tons. 31 to 35 are now the game specific setting (like background sound). Get ahold of a copy of The Williams solid state flipper manual, and it has all the settings 1-30.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-with-multiple-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.