(Topic ID: 192823)

Williams Flash with Multiball - the Ultimate Flash Mod?

By vid1900

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Lancedon
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f28472fb415f87e03ebaab51b6a26e495c2949c8 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Fun With Bonus has a cool video of how to change Flash into a Multiball machine by stealing the playfield Slam Switch for the trough and changing the ROM.

http://funwithbonus.com/flash-multiball/

Anyone done this yet?

#2 6 years ago

Yeah I didn't think it worked as well as Nitro Groundshaker. Then again, I also wonder how much it adds to games that aren't designed for it. You get multiball but you don't usually score a ton of points, or more than single ball.
It's pretty neat though

#3 6 years ago

I would think that someone could put a multiplier into the code without too much work.

"It's just math"

-

#4 6 years ago

With that mod, I would move the credit light lamp socket to light up the saucer instead.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

With that mod, I would move the credit light lamp socket to light up the saucer instead.

That's a great idea.

Especially if you used an LED flasher lamp.

#6 6 years ago

I think that would be a great mod for a Flash. It also gives a great idea for how to add a multi ball trough to my P-roc Alien Poker.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

It also gives a great idea for how to add a multi ball trough to my P-roc Alien Poker.

Yes, look at a Vector, it has two switches in the same kind of configuration.

That gives it a 3 ball multiball.

#8 6 years ago

Sounds great..I will be doing this. ..

#9 6 years ago

forgive the ignorance, but where does one find that "PERC" document ?

#10 6 years ago

Astyy had a good pic of an easy trough stacking for adding multiball to a regular trough; on a Vector.

f28472fb415f87e03ebaab51b6a26e495c2949c8 (resized).jpgf28472fb415f87e03ebaab51b6a26e495c2949c8 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

forgive the ignorance, but where does one find that "PERC" document ?

I couldn't easily find either.

The mod looks cool, but if the divide by ten roms weren't used then I feel it would be bad. I use divide by ten now as rolling isn't all that hard. With multiball it would be to easy.

Lots of folks left comments on his site but he doesn't seem to reply. I PM here as well, no reply. To busy I guess.

I would like to try, the few parts needed I have.

#12 6 years ago

You guys should make a kit with the rom and sell it with a xtra coin switch and install instructions ...

#13 6 years ago

When I finish my time warp restore, I want to do something like this. Balls could lock in saucer connected to right bull target.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

When I finish my time warp restore, I want to do something like this. Balls could lock in saucer connected to right bull target.

You could lock both saucers for crazy 3 ball, popbumper frenzy.

Fix the sound bug while you are in there.

40 years and Williams still has not fixed it.

WHERE'S THE CODE?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You could lock both saucers for crazy 3 ball, popbumper frenzy.
Fix the sound bug while you are in there.
40 years and Williams still has not fixed it.
WHERE'S THE CODE?

i actually looked into putting a scoop up over on the left side before the pops thinking there was enough real estate.

I was wondering of a quick "reversible" way to add multi ball to older games. Was thinking along the lines of taking the trough switch, whichever preferred saucer switch and the trough and saucer solenoid and controlling those via ardiuno or something. The ardiuno would control the multiball functionality and only relay those switch triggers to the game after seeing two balls in the trough or something. I'm not explaining as well as it plans out in my head.

#16 6 years ago

Over the years I've searched for the PERC doco a few times and can't find it but there is useful info here

http://gamearchive.askey.org/Pinball/Manufacturers/Williams/pinbuilder/ which is where I first saw reference to PERC. It's not the same doco as shown in the Flash multiball video - does anyone have a link to it? Please post as it would be cool to see.

The Arduino addon is what I think would be a good way to modify games. Two ball multiball would always be easier - for example imagine Time Warp where you "lock" a ball in the collect bonus kick out then send another ball in towards that lock - either without hitting the standup at the top of the tunnel or by entering from the pop area side. How do you tell there are two balls stacked in the area without more switches or gates to prevent it happening?

#17 6 years ago

Clay did this, it's on his ninja site. Pretty cool mod.

#18 6 years ago

This modification to Flash was documented on the PinballNinja.com site back in April. Myself and another individual did the modification, for those that care.

#19 6 years ago

Also did two other williams games (tri-zone and time warp and Bally Nitro groundshaker) in a similar multi-ball fashion. if you came to the Ann Arbor pinball show, you could play all these.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

This modification to Flash was documented on the PinballNinja.com site back in April. Myself and another individual did the modification, for those that care.

We all care....

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Absolutely we care! So you have a write up of the time warp mod or a video?

#22 6 years ago

i've been meaning to make those videos. but right now i'm in the middle of trying to make "World Defender" work and become multi-ball! we got the playfield (only) at the show. and since it's probably the only one in north america, i thought it was a good idea to save it. got the game running now (had to make a wiring harness from scratch!), and we'll see where this goes. Still need a backglass though...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

i've been meaning to

Win the lottery!

1 week later
#24 6 years ago

I have a Flash pin i'm in the process of troubleshooting and getting it up and running but I REALLY want to do this MOD as well. If ANYONE has any further info on how to get the rom burned please let me know or point me in the right direction. I feel like him as I am not very excited when I play it but I would if I were to add this mod.

Please hit me up for ANY breadcrumbs you may have. Thanks in advance

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

CFH, How did you get the ROM with the changed code on it? Would you share your info and help me get one as well. I a planning on doing this mod however if I cant the specific ROM and I cant really do it. Thanks in advance for any info.

#26 6 years ago

I added post lamps when I owned Flash. Miss that game, darnit.

2 months later
#27 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

where to find roms to do
that?

#28 6 years ago

m

Quoted from OTTOgd:I added post lamps when I owned Flash. Miss that game, darnit.
» YouTube video

how to wire that? thanks

1 week later
#29 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Clay did this, it's on his ninja site. Pretty cool mod.

is the rom available for download on the ninja site? thanks

#30 6 years ago

No it isn't available for download. I sent him an email about it but never heard back.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

No it isn't available for download. I sent him an email about it but never heard back.

sad!!!

#32 6 years ago

Given that the update is based on original williams code I'm sure Rick from PPS (who holds the IP rights to williams) would want to get paid something from whoever gives out the code...even if it was given away for free.

4 years later
#33 1 year ago

Did anyone have any luck getting a copy of the Rom?

#34 1 year ago

I don't believe Clay is willing to share the files and process. I've reached out and I know a few others in my small pin community have, as well. No replies. He's done a ton to help the community, so if he has decided to keep this one close to the vest, no complaints here.

#35 1 year ago

frankly the whole idea still needs work. don't want to share something that i'm not 100% with. VFW members have asked me to go back to single ball Flash, for a couple reasons.

#36 1 year ago

Ok I understand. Just picked up a flash 2 weeks ago with battery acid damage and thought it would be cool to try while i was working on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-with-multiball-the-ultimate-flash-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.