Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider packie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello All:
I have a Williams Flash that will not boot nor does it have any displays. Let me start at the beginning.
I got a Flash with a missing Player 4 board. It would not boot and only the GI lights worked. I reworked the Power supply board and checked voltages and all is good. I swapped out MPU and Driver boards and got the occasional System error code on the display if I flicked the on/off switch real quick. After messing with it, I decided to order a rottendog MPU, Power supply board and display boards.
Last week the boards came in and I rushed to get them installed. I quickly replaced the Power supply board and mpu with the rottendog boards. I went through the steps in the rottendog docs and all was fine until I got to connecting the top MPU connectors. I powered up the machine and saw only a faint dot glow on the player one display.
I decided that the displays needed to be replaced as well. I quickly replaced all the display boards and connected things up again. This time no glow on the displays at all. I checked and double checked my work and still with all new replacement boards the unit will only light the GI lights and nothing more.
I am now in need of some guidance as to which way to proceed.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Mike

#3 9 years ago

Sorry I reread my post. I had installed the Rottendog MPU and Rottendog Power supply boards and kept the original Master display board and the old style score displays. When i booted, all I got was the faint dot glow on the player one display.
I then replaced the Master Display and score displays with the new Rottendog boards. So at this point I have Rottendog MPU, Power Supply,Master Display and score display boards. I booted the game and since they are LEDs, no glow or anything. The MPU showed just the two LEDs lit and only the GI lights worked.
I think disconnecting the Master Display will not do much more for me. I will try though. The top row of connectors on the MPU will be the only connections, so I am not sure if anything else will work when the game is switched on.
Mike

#5 9 years ago

Can you use a DMM? If so go to the MPU and check for +5vdc.

Hmmmm.....
I reworked the Power supply board and checked voltages and all is good. I swapped out MPU and Driver boards and got the occasional System error code on the display if I flicked the on/off switch real quick. After messing with it, I decided to order a rottendog MPU, Power supply board and display boards.
Voltages are fine

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

Okay I hope someone is reading this. As I have stated in previous posts, I can not get my Flash to boot up. I have rebuilt the power supply and I have replaced the Power supply,mpu and display board and displays with all new rottendog boards. I still can not get the machine to boot. i do get GI lights and a hum from the sound board. I have metered all the power connections at the PSU and at the MPU and the master display and all is perfect. I can not get this flash to fire up. And other suggestions out there?
Thanks

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

Problem not fixed. I did set the switches on the Rottendog board and was able to get the game to boot into attract mode. I then used the williams diagnotics and check the lamps, solenoids, and switches. All checked out fine. I shut the game off and restarted. I added credits and they showed up on the display. I then pushed the start button and Nothing!. I tried several more times with no results. I then called James at Rottendog and we went through some more tests. The last thing we tried was to set the dip switches on the rottendog board for Gorgar and see if it started. I did that and it did start and push the ball into the shooter lane. At that point, James said he was sending me a new eprom as mine must be bad.

New eprom came in and I installed it. I booted the game as Flash and went through tests and then tried to start a game, it will not start, justs sits in attract mode. I called James and he said he would ship a replacement board to me.

New replacement board comes in, I replaced mine and ran through the same checks. Set the dips for Flash, started machine, ran the diagnotics and all checked fine. Restarted the game, added credits, hit start button and nothing.
I set the dips for Gorgar again and it starts a game and puts ball into shooter lane.

I checked all my connectors, I found 3 with "green Slime" and repinned them. Rebooted machine and same condition.

I really appericate James from Rottendog helping me as he has been doing. I am now asking for help from anyone out there. If you know of a way to start the game without the start button, please let me know. I do not have a wiring guide for the game and i think if i can jumpstart a game, that would at least point to a problem with the start button. Again the button will work if I have the game set up as another title. Weird! Very Weird!
Mike

Post edited by packie1: Problem is not resolved

2 weeks later
#10 9 years ago

Hello All:
I wanted to make sure this thread shows some recent activity, please read the above post as I am still having issues with my Flash.
thanks
Mike

#12 9 years ago

Oops I forgot to remove that part of the post. I have repeated my last post to help make this clearer.
Sorry about that.
Mike

Problem not fixed. I did set the switches on the Rottendog board and was able to get the game to boot into attract mode. I then used the williams diagnotics and check the lamps, solenoids, and switches. All checked out fine. I shut the game off and restarted. I added credits and they showed up on the display. I then pushed the start button and Nothing!. I tried several more times with no results. I then called James at Rottendog and we went through some more tests. The last thing we tried was to set the dip switches on the rottendog board for Gorgar and see if it started. I did that and it did start and push the ball into the shooter lane. At that point, James said he was sending me a new eprom as mine must be bad.

New eprom came in and I installed it. I booted the game as Flash and went through tests and then tried to start a game, it will not start, justs sits in attract mode. I called James and he said he would ship a replacement board to me.

New replacement board comes in, I replaced mine and ran through the same checks. Set the dips for Flash, started machine, ran the diagnotics and all checked fine. Restarted the game, added credits, hit start button and nothing.
I set the dips for Gorgar again and it starts a game and puts ball into shooter lane.

I checked all my connectors, I found 3 with "green Slime" and repinned them. Rebooted machine and same condition.

I really appericate James from Rottendog helping me as he has been doing. I am now asking for help from anyone out there. If you know of a way to start the game without the start button, please let me know. I do not have a wiring guide for the game and i think if i can jumpstart a game, that would at least point to a problem with the start button. Again the button will work if I have the game set up as another title. Weird! Very Weird!
Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider packie1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-will-not-boot-nor-does-it-have-lit-displays?tu=packie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.