5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Stephan28
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonora70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I was playing a game and after completing the 5 drop target bank the machine started screaming and the f2 fuse blew. The exact same thing happened once before and I figured out I had a pop bumper that had shorted. Once I fixed the short all was good.

Because it happened this time immediately after the completed drop target bank I checked it for a short. What I found was it was shorted because the coil had rubbed against the bracket housing and therefore shorted. I simply wrapped the coil with some electrical tape and the short is now gone. However, I'm still getting a blown fuse every time I turn the game on. Here's the rest of what I have done.....

I unplugged the connector from the driver board and the game turns on and doesn't blow the fuse.

I then began checking all the coils associated with that connector. I found a broken diode on the kick out hole coil and replaced it.
I removed the diodes from the drop target bank that was shorted and tested them, they tested good.

Using my meter I checked all the transistors and all tested good. (TIP 102). I tested the smaller transistors and one leg would give me a correct reading while the other leg tested .2 something. This was consistent with all of them. Clay's guide indicated that would be a possibility and that transistors could test bad and still be good.

I then removed all the wires from the coils associated with the connector. The fuse did not blow.

At this point, I turned the game on and I began to touch the wires back to their appropriate coil post to see when the fuse would blow to isolate a possible bad coil.

What I learned is that every time I would momentarily connect the wire to the coil lug the coil would fire and stay fired. This stayed consistent with all coils tested.

So what I assuming is when the game is turned on all those coils are firing and staying engaged therefore blowing the fuse.

Could my TTL 74XX chip be bad as a result of the shorted drop target bank? Thanks for any advice and tips......I'm on my second order of 2.5 amp fuses!

Sorry for the lengthy description, but I felt I needed to share what all has been done to this point.

#2 5 years ago

In short, all of the solenoids associated with connector 2J11 are locking on when the pin is turned on which is blowing the f2 fuse. Any help appreciated.

7 months later
#3 4 years ago

Thought I would update this thread hoping it may help someone with a similar issue. The problem was the coil on the drop target bank. The vibration of the bank caused the coil to rub against the metal housing of the bank. It rubbed through the coating on the coil wires and made it short out. I simply put a piece of electricians table between the coil and the housing.

I isolated it by disconnecting the high voltage coils connected to F2 one at a time till it would boot up and not blow a fuse. I then knew it had something to do with that particular one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonora70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-system-4-blowing-f2-fuse?tu=Sonora70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.