Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6422 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey y'all,

At the tail-end of bringing a Williams FLASH back from the dead, and after a ton of cleaning and solenoid replacing, plus a new Rottendog board and Pinscore display, it's tantalizingly close to playable...

But now I've discovered the source of the blown fuse that was driving me crazy...or close to discovered it. To sum up, the 2.5A fuse for the solenoids kept blowing when I first was poking around on this machine, I couldn't figure out why, so I went through and cleaned everywhere I could, replacing most of the solenoids (many had melted sleeves and were just plain grungy), just tried to get everything looking/feeling right. And when I finally turned it back on, everything was great!

Only the right sling didn't work. Upon further inspection, I had missed re-connecting it. Oops, my bad, all good, turn on the soldering iron, connect the two red wires to the banded side of the diode, the (I think blue/yellow? it's in the basement...) wire to the right side, turn on the game...

...and poof, blowing that 2.5A solenoid fuse again. Because that right sling's sol is locking on, as soon as I turn on the game.

Can anyone help me figure out where to find the short? I feel like I'm just so close to actually understanding how these sorts of things work, but I'm still relatively new to electronics/pinball machine restoration, and something like this FEELS so simple, which makes it all the more frustrating that I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

#2 4 years ago

Unplug 2j12, see If the problem goes away. If so, it'd a board issue.

#3 4 years ago

Make sure none of the connector pins on the back of the circuit board are grounding out to the metal mounting frames, know problem.

#4 4 years ago

Test the transistor for that coil on your SDB. $10 says it is blown.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Hey y'all,
...and poof, blowing that 2.5A solenoid fuse again. Because that right sling's sol is locking on, as soon as I turn on the game.
Can anyone help me figure out where to find the short? I feel like I'm just so close to actually understanding how these sorts of things work, but I'm still relatively new to electronics/pinball machine restoration, and something like this FEELS so simple, which makes it all the more frustrating that I have no idea how to fix it.
Thanks in advance!

You said it is locking on as soon as you start the game? The sling should never lock on for more than a fraction of a second as it should hit an EOS and basically bounce back the instant it was engaged. It shouldn't even come on unless activated, maybe take the rubber off and ensure the switches are open just to isolate this.

#6 4 years ago

Also make sure that wires to the coil aren't cut and grounded out along the path to the solenoid board.

#7 4 years ago

...if I had taken that bet, @viriiguy, you'd be $10 richer. You & zacaj helped me to realize that, as I should have known (and hopefully will learn from this...), it was the transistor on the board.

I guess I didn't want to think it was that, because it's a brand new board, but of course I probably shorted it back when I first installed it, turned on the game, and things weren't moving because they were gummed up/broken...

Thanks, y'all. It's definitely a short at Q8. I'll fix later today (I hope, kinda hard to sneak to the basement), and report back.

#8 4 years ago

Glad to hear it is an easy fix!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from koji:

You said it is locking on as soon as you start the game? The sling should never lock on for more than a fraction of a second as it should hit an EOS and basically bounce back the instant it was engaged. It shouldn't even come on unless activated, maybe take the rubber off and ensure the switches are open just to isolate this.

Eos doesn't affect the coil on special solenoids

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Glad to hear it is an easy fix!

Amen. Hopefully! I don’t have the proper transistor at the moment, but putting in an order with GPE now.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Amen. Hopefully! I don’t have the proper transistor at the moment, but putting in an order with GPE now.

I keep those on hand by the dozens. But I also fix these things for a living

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I keep those on hand by the dozens. But I also fix these things for a living

Ha, yeah, I have a few TIP102's around, but haven't had to work on anything other than Williams System 9 or 11 boards before now. Someday I hope to be like you folks who can help answer all the questions on these forums, but as for now, I'm still a n00b building up a supply chest...

Thanks, everyone! I'll post again when it's fixed...

2 weeks later
#13 4 years ago

IT'S ALIVE!

Still a couple things to work out (I posted in the Flash owner's club about it, but the blue Flash crescent lights don't ever go off, and the "rising tone" never happens)—but it's working!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

IMG_6422 (resized).jpgIMG_6422 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-sling-solenoid-stuck-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.