Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by nagamitsu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

If anyone has had experience with this game, I'm looking for some direction. Game powers on, basically all lights on the playfield and back box. The display shows a number and then they go blank.

Watching MPU LEDs, both light up and then go off. There is not the expected flash twice occurring. Am getting proper power to the board, measuring the 5VDC on it. From what I can determine, the CPU is trying to boot but does not. On occasion, I'll get some in game sound/sounds when powering up. Usually just a quick blip of sound, but not always the case. (getting a little further on boot?)

No change in LEDs or game if I disconnect the driver board. What I am starting with, it has the Scanbe IC sockets on the board, so I'm in midst of replacing those sockets currently. Quite familiar with Galaga, where this is a must do approach. If I'm lucky, this may just fix the issue. Seems continuity with the 40 pin connector between the two boards is just fine, I hear these can cause problems, but I don't think that is causing it to not boot.

Any other suggestions? Problem is, the machine is at my brother-in-law's, an hour drive away, and I don't have a test bench set up. So pretty much after replacing the sockets, I'll drive up and plug it in to see if it fixes the issue.

Tim

#2 4 years ago

I had similar symptoms on a firepower a few years back. My problem was the 5v supply. My voltmeter told me it was good but when I put an o-scope on it the voltage wave looked like crap. Replaced the power supply and it fired up. Kind of an oddball problem but might be worth looking at.
Tim

#3 4 years ago

Thanks! Failing the socket replacement, I'll take a next step of rebuilding or replacing the power supply board.

Tim

#4 4 years ago

You could apply 5v on the bench to see if it will boot. If I recall you need to jumper the reset circuit. If you need more guidance maybe look at the manual for the system 3-6 test rig on www.smokingcircuit.com . It will give you the general bench power setup.

#5 4 years ago

I recommend the Kohout power supply if you go for an aftermarket.

http://www.pinballpcb.com/Sys3-6PowerSupply.htm

#6 4 years ago

Thank you. I may end up going that route. Would make sense to have a new power supply in there.

Tim

#7 4 years ago

Replaced the IC sockets on MPU board, and machine now plays. Some burnt out bulbs, and the right flipper coil is weak/barely functional.

Tim

2 weeks later
#8 4 years ago

have you done anymore work on the Flash?...

#9 4 years ago

Fixed the remaining issues, the two right flippers weren't working. Someone had an alligator clip jumper from lower one up to the top flipper. I replaced the lower flipper coil, rewired the two switches there correctly, and now both work as they should. Cleaned it up a bit, and they've been playing it every night, having tournaments.

Tim

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 22.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside