image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Scroll to bottom for latest issue…

Ive blown (at least) the tip120 on Q17 the last three times I turned the game on and I’m looking for help to avoid blowing it again.

Background: bought a well-used flash over the summer. Turned it on and ‘played’ maybe a game or two. At that time everything seemed to ‘work’, but the coils for the drop targets were all sticking. Then I started to ‘refurbish’ the machine including touchup and clear coat on the playfield and cleaning all of the mechanisms and replacing all coil sleeves. I couldn’t remove the sleeves on the drop target coils, so I put in replacement coils. There are three drop target coils…I put SA3-23-900-DCs in two of them Q19 & Q21 (this is the correct coil, I believe) and a SG-23-850-DC in the third Q17 (I understand that this is a suitable substitute).

When I turned it on the first time, something started burning. Eventually I found this to be the Q17 tip120. After researching a while, it seems that the new coils had the diodes wired opposite the original coils. I swapped the wires to the coil leads.

Turned it on again, and immediately the Q17 tip120 sparked and blew. I took it off and replaced it thinking a may have not soldered it correctly. This time checking for continuity and shorts on the driver board for this tip120. All looked good, so I turned on again and it immediately sparked and blew the same Q17 tip120.

This time I diagnosed the rest of the solenoid circuits on the board more thoroughly. It seems that the Q17, Q19, and Q21’s were all blown. The Q16 Q18 and Q20 were also checking out funny…so I replaced these too. The resistors and the IC 7408 seems to test fine.

Now I am afraid to turn on. What else can/should I check so I don’t blow everything again?

Photos below. Don’t be too hard on my soldering. I have checked to ensure I don’t have shorts and I do have continuity where I should.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

are the related coils energising or the transistor/s blowing straight away?

try removing the related connectors and seeing if the problem is on the board or the playfield?

also check the 2N4401 pre drivers.

#3 1 year ago

Hi thanks for the response.

The tip120s blow the second I power up. The Q16, 18, & 20’s are the predrivers and I replaced them all this time.

I will try without the connectors to see where the problem is.

#4 1 year ago

I'm local and could lend a hand if you are unable to resolve it. Just PM me.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

Ive blown (at least) the tip120 on Q17 the last three times I turned the game on and I’m looking for help to avoid blowing it again.
Background: bought a well-used flash over the summer. Turned it on and ‘played’ maybe a game or two. At that time everything seemed to ‘work’, but the coils for the drop targets were all sticking. Then I started to ‘refurbish’ the machine including touchup and clear coat on the playfield and cleaning all of the mechanisms and replacing all coil sleeves. I couldn’t remove the sleeves on the drop target coils, so I put in replacement coils. There are three drop target coils…I put SA3-23-900-DCs in two of them Q19 & Q21 (this is the correct coil, I believe) and a SG-23-850-DC in the third Q17 (I understand that this is a suitable substitute).
When I turned it on the first time, something started burning. Eventually I found this to be the Q17 tip120. After researching a while, it seems that the new coils had the diodes wired opposite the original coils. I swapped the wires to the coil leads.
Turned it on again, and immediately the Q17 tip120 sparked and blew. I took it off and replaced it thinking a may have not soldered it correctly. This time checking for continuity and shorts on the driver board for this tip120. All looked good, so I turned on again and it immediately sparked and blew the same Q17 tip120.
This time I diagnosed the rest of the solenoid circuits on the board more thoroughly. It seems that the Q17, Q19, and Q21’s were all blown. The Q16 Q18 and Q20 were also checking out funny…so I replaced these too. The resistors and the IC 7408 seems to test fine.
Now I am afraid to turn on. What else can/should I check so I don’t blow everything again?
Photos below. Don’t be too hard on my soldering. I have checked to ensure I don’t have shorts and I do have continuity where I should. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have to replace the coil diodes too. They are shorted from having the wires reversed.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I'm local and could lend a hand if you are unable to resolve it. Just PM me.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Let’s see what happens this time.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

You have to replace the coil diodes too. They are shorted from having the wires reversed.

Thanks, I didn’t realize that. I’ll definitely check them out before firing it up.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This was 100% correct. Coil diodes on my drops were all shorted. Thank you for this suggestion before I turned it on again!

Once they are replaced, I will turn game on without any solenoid connectors connected to board.

#8 1 year ago

Making progress. With everything connected, nothing sparked and I don’t think I blew anything. I only turned the machine on with the three drop target coils connected for a second or two and it seemed that they were locked on in the charged position so I quickly turned the pin off. I pulled the three wires for those solenoids from the connector to the driver board and turned the machine on and tested for a while and everything else seemed fine. I’ll troubleshoot those three one by one this week.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I only turned the machine on with the three drop target coils connected for a second or two and it seemed that they were locked on in the charged position so I quickly turned the pin off.

Predriver transistor, driver transistor and coil diode should all be changed as a set. The shorted diode from before stressed the predriver and driver transistor. After you change out the components, leave the 3 wires disconnected from the cpu board. Turn on the power and check those 3 pins on the cpu board for ground. If any show ground then you need to do more board work.

1 month later
#10 1 year ago

Ive been working on/off on my Flash.

At this point, I have 2J11 pin 7 shorting to ground as soon as I turn the game on. This would be for solenoid 3 coil for drop targets.

I don’t believe there is any problem under the playfield, as I swapped the wire for solenoid 3 to one of the working pins on 2J11 and it worked fine in test mode. Likewise, whatever coil I connect to pin 7 on 2J11 locks on.

When I leave the 2J11 connector disconnected, and I put alligator clips on pin 7, the pin shorts to ground as soon as I turn power on. None of the other pins short to ground. When the game is off, the pin is not shorted to ground.

The associated tip120 seemed to test fine in circuit, but I replaced it anyway. Likewise, the 2N4401 tested fine, but I replaced it. I also replaced the IC7408.

Pin still shorts to ground as soon as I turn the game on.

What could it be? What could I check/test next?

Could it be an issue on the MPU? IC5? IC7? IC9? I’m just guessing at this point.

Help appreciated.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

With 2J11 disconnected and power on, what do you read at IC 1 pin 1 and pin 4?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

With 2J11 disconnected and power on, what do you read at IC 1 pin 1 and pin 4?

What should I be measuring? DC voltage to ground?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

What should I be measuring? DC voltage to ground?

Correct! DC voltage, black lead on ground, red lead on IC 1. Since IC 1 is an AND gate, a high input will give a high output when the enable is high too.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14 1 year ago

I dont really understand how the IC’s work.

Anyway, IC1 pin 1 is reading 0VDC to ground. Pin 4 is reading 1.5vdc to ground.

Does that make any sense?

#15 1 year ago

Pins 3, 8, and 11 are all at about 0.27v.
Pin 6 is 2.35v

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I dont really understand how the IC’s work.
Anyway, IC1 pin 1 is reading 0VDC to ground. Pin 4 is reading 1.5vdc to ground.
Does that make any sense?

…my 1.5v reading to IC1 pin 4 seems incorrect. Does this mean I should be looking at IC5 next?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago

On this chart you can see that a low signal needs to be .8 volts and lower. Your reading of 1.5 volts is causing the output of IC 1 pin 6 to be high which is the cause of the ground output on 2J11 pin 7. I would cut the lead of IC 5 pin 4 and retest the reading of IC 1. I use cutters like this.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj9rIeQ36L9AhVpG9QBHWo_AZ4YABAzGgJvYQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESa-D25bYWSBrAxC-i01Id6S4LtDM6tjkoe9MIhwkNwTxnH0BEzRjtxesLl3ap1ooJjx0xYHCO_B0MQiDHmBMK20FfJQ4wIhZ0O7xvu9JMd1_hvt4fr_S4yQ-UDqmIvuNmEUGuQGPUTwyn3owo&sig=AOD64_0byDSl915N8gfg-OyWZhk-tB_VXA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi4zv-P36L9AhXWm2oFHX39C38Qww8oAnoFCAMQhQI&adurl=

#18 1 year ago

You’re suggestion is beyond what I’ve done previously.

That leg on IC5 is also reading 1.55v. Are you suggesting to cut that leg of pin 4 on the IC5? Why? Are you thinking that voltage is coming from somewhere else?

#19 1 year ago

This is what I have. I don’t think I can cut the leg off IC5 pin 4 with these.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

Are you suggesting to cut that leg of pin 4 on the IC5? Why? Are you thinking that voltage is coming from somewhere else?

Correct, by cutting this pin you separate IC1 from IC5. Most likely IC5 is bad and that's why I said to cut this leg. If you need to replace IC5 you will need to cut it off the board anyway for easier removal.

Your cutters are fine to snip the leg.

#21 1 year ago

The 7408 does blanking protection for the coils. When the blanking circuit thinks the computer is not running properly it shuts down the solenoids by going low (0v).

To fire the coil, this 7408 must have a high blanking signal and a high input from the PIA to start the chain of transistors that fire the solenoid. When the solenoid locks on enough to burn, the 7408 often goes bad at the same time.

Consider lifting the 7408 input chip leg instead of the PIA leg. The suitable replacement 74F08 is a bit more available/less expensive than the obsolete 6821s and is less invasive to replace. Its also closer to the coil / bad transistors which can smoke things. The PIA very well could still be bad, at least it is a Motorola brand and not AMI

If you have a desolder gun, just clear out the hole good enough its not connected to the circuit board and then check again.

You can also try this. With the power off. DMM set to diode test. Put the red lead on ground and with the black lead probe the 7408 output going to the transistor. If you get 0.000 or less than about 0.400 its a good sign that chip is blown. Can compare to working circuits. Not a fool proof test, but you can usually find blown 7408s in this circuit with that method.

#22 1 year ago

Thank you both for the tips.
I will try lifting the leg (pin4) of IC5 tonight.

I just replaced the transistors and the 7408 yesterday. Since then, with the connector attached, I’ve only turned the machine on for a second to verify whether the coil was locking. As soon as I see the coil locking, I turn power off. I suspect my 7408 is still good but will do the simple test on that tonight, as well.

After tonight, I’m going to be away from the machine for a couple of days, so I’ll go quiet. I do appreciate the help/input youve both provided. Thanks.

#23 1 year ago

If I missed the part where you replaced the 7408 already then it would def be suspect for the PIA. Double check your solder work though.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Double check your solder work though.

My solder work is so ugly…but I did have good continuity everywhere and no shorts, so I think it’s good. Will run your proposed tests tonight anyway, because…why not.

My life experience so far in pinball: the problem is usually the thing you assume is working fine.

#25 1 year ago

I could cut pin4 on IC5.

Instead I desoldered the whole IC5 and removed the chip. Would it be a mistake to install the board and turn the machine on without the IC? Even if it doesn’t do any harm without the IC5, can I still learn anything without it?. Should I just remove the one leg and reinstall…or at this point should I just install a new IC5 regardless. (I don’t have one, so I’ll have to place an order).

For what it’s worth…desoldering that IC5 was a real pain in neck…but maybe a decent learning experience on using my desoldering gun.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

I could cut pin4 on IC5.
Instead I desoldered the whole IC5 and removed the chip. Would it be a mistake to install the board and turn the machine on without the IC? Even if it doesn’t do any harm without the IC5, can I still learn anything without it?. Should I just remove the one leg and reinstall…or at this point should I just install a new IC5 regardless. (I don’t have one, so I’ll have to place an order).
For what it’s worth…desoldering that IC5 was a real pain in neck…but maybe a decent learning experience on using my desoldering gun.

At this point I would just replace it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0443-00

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-help-driver-board-keeps-sparking-and-blowing-tip120?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.