• Latest reply 4 years ago by Jakers
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0288.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a Flash for a friend. He said they were playing a game and started smelling something burning so they turned the game off and called me. Upon inspection, I found the coil that resets the upper 3 drop targets on the 5-bank had melted the coil sleeve inside the coil. The game still plays fine but obviously the upper 3 drops never get reset. I replaced the coil and sleeve but the drops still don't reset. The drops all score correctly when activated by hand. I'm assuming a transistor on the driver board or some other part is fried. I'm not the greatest at reading schematics but I'm guessing it's Q17?

If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Normally when the older William's games start locking coils on it a problem with the 40 pin interconnect.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Normally when the older William's games start locking coils on it a problem with the 40 pin interconnect.

The 40 pin was replaced already.

#4 4 years ago

Anyone?

Happy new year bump!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I'm working on a Flash for a friend. He said they were playing a game and started smelling something burning so they turned the game off and called me. Upon inspection, I found the coil that resets the upper 3 drop targets on the 5-bank had melted the coil sleeve inside the coil. The game still plays fine but obviously the upper 3 drops never get reset. I replaced the coil and sleeve but the drops still don't reset. The drops all score correctly when activated by hand. I'm assuming a transistor on the driver board or some other part is fried. I'm not the greatest at reading schematics but I'm guessing it's Q17?
If anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Yes the next thing to check would be the transistor it can be very easily located in the manual,just look at the chart locate drop target and it will tell you"Q#" on driver board.A locked on coil in many cases is a bad/shorted transistor.
Test that transistor with a meter,Power off the game
Set meter to continuity
1.Place black probe onto ground(gray strap in the backbox)
2.With the red probe touch the tab of that transistor.
If meter beeps it's a bad/shorted transistor

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Anyone?
Happy new year bump!

Happy new year to you!!

#7 4 years ago

Happy New Year! How did the transistor test go? If you're still having issues try these ROMs to help you verify the operation of the entire game:

http://pincoder.ca

Along the way you'll also learn more about how the machine works.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Happy New Year! How did the transistor test go? If you're still having issues try these ROMs to help you verify the operation of the entire game:
http://pincoder.ca
Along the way you'll also learn more about how the machine works.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get back over there and test the transistor. I downloaded the Flash manual from IPDB but the driver board schematics are so blurry I can't make out much of anything. I'm going solely on the notes I took when I was there and a few pictures. According to this page of the manual, Q17 controls the reset coil and from what I can barely make out on the schematics, it's a TIP120. I ordered a TIP102 from pinballlife which they say is an upgrade replacement for the TIP120.

IMG_0288.jpgIMG_0288.jpg
#9 4 years ago

You're on the right track

#10 4 years ago

Yes Q17 would be the one to test and transistor TIP 102 is a better one to install.

1 week later
#11 4 years ago

I was finally able to get back onto this project. I replaced transistor Q17, tested continuity from the coil to the driver board and double checked all the fuses. Still nothing. The coil will not fire.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-drop-targets-not-resetting-and-a-melted-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.