(Topic ID: 105041)

Williams Flash Display Issue. Missing Segments...

By rumplepin

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rumplepin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi. I have a Williams Flash with a problem. I had my power cord short out when my daughter started up the machine the other day and since then (it has been properly fixed) the bottom left segment on all the digits on player 3 and 4 displays intermittently dissapears. I have checked all the resistors on the master display and even swapped out the display for a working one and the same issues were there on the player 3 and 4. Is anyone able to tell me where to go next with my troubleshooting?

#2 4 years ago

It sounds like you have some out gassing going on. But first test each pin on the display for continuity and also for cracked solder joints. If all is okay with that you might need to buy another display. I had a similar problem with Disco Fever. Three out of 4 displays were bad and it was cheaper getting a new LED display set.

#3 4 years ago

I found this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repairing-williams-sys-3-6-master-display-board-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix-long

a little more than halfway through the thread he discuss certain issues and repair

it may help

#4 4 years ago

I switched the harness from player 2 to player 3 and the problem on player 3 went away. The disappearing always happens at the same time on both 3 and 4. Should I be looking at my CPU board?

#5 4 years ago

If the problem stays in the same location with a different display, the slaves are ok. Could be a harness/connector issue.

If the MDB is also showing the same problem, could be outgassing of the MDB and it's bringing down the slaves. You can try reseating the connectors on the MPU (top three 9 pin connectors on the MPU board). If that's doesn't help and it passes the self test, it's the glass.

viperrwk

#6 4 years ago

Master display has no problems on the glass. It displays perfectly. My guess is it is either a connector issue from the mpu or maybe a logic issue? I am not that smart when it comes to that.

6 months later
#7 4 years ago

Hey,did you resolve this issue?.

2 months later
#8 3 years ago

Yes I did. It turned out to be a bad connection on one of the harnesses from the mpu to the master display

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 14.95
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside