Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
0127202018_HDR.jpg
#1 4 years ago

The bottom row of segments are out on the display master board, player 1 and player 2. However player 3 and 4 are perfect. I narrowed it down to only the display master board by swapping it with a known good. It is also intermittent which makes it harder to find.

See photo that is attached.

0127202018_HDR.jpg0127202018_HDR.jpg
#2 4 years ago

Are you handy with a logic probe or scope?

Its probably IC5, IC9, and/or R4 on the master display board.

Remove the display fuse from the power board. Check IC5 segment D output, P12 for pulsing during display test. If missing replace IC5 (CD4543 replaces the MC14543). If IC5 P12 is pulsing R4 is open/burned or IC9 is bad. When the resistor burns that is usually an indication of a bad display or bad IC9. Don't recommend probing IC9 the 5v level to high voltage level chip... I pretty much make sure the 5v side is working correctly than do the HV part if needed.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#3 4 years ago

Of course now that i read your post it is working. It is intermittent. WTF....

#4 4 years ago

In your opinion other than bad solder that I cannot find any...... It is hardly doing it. Had the game on 2 more hrs last night and two this morning and it's not doing it.

#5 4 years ago

I have had a display short and cause this issue as well.

#6 4 years ago

It could be a bad display like Chad said. I had a bad display damage a master display board segment circuit two times before I finally found it was actually a display doing it.

See if the series resistor after the the UDN7180 IC9 chip is overheating compared to the other resistors. If so you may want to try one display at a time looking for the one consuming too much current. Careful as there is high voltage at these resistors, so no touch with the power on.

#7 4 years ago

To confirm the displays are all good. I have two games that have the same system. The problem follows the display master board or whatever Williams calls it.

I will check the resistor. Any chance a chip could be aging and starting to fail.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

To confirm the displays are all good. I have two games that have the same system. The problem follows the display master board or whatever Williams calls it.
I will check the resistor. Any chance a chip could be aging and starting to fail.

Integrated circuits and active parts don't normally fail intermittently, they either work or they dont for the most part. Might have questionable soldering somewhere. Wouldn't think its an output connector since the display on the MDB acts up too.

#9 4 years ago

I have worst luck with intermittent issues...... Of course the display worked fine, so I replaced r4 as it looked like it got hot and reflowed tons of solder joints. They still work perfect. So fingers crossed.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.