(Topic ID: 245764)

Williams Flash Ball Release coil works intermittently. So confusing

By StotzBotz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Greetings friends. .Can I ask your opinion? I have a Williams Flash machine. It has this weird problem where the Ball Release coil won't always fire. This is coil 1 controlled by Q15 driver transistor controlled by pin 8 in the 7408 chip IC 1 on the Driver board. I can hold my voltmeter on pin 8 and sometimes you see it change voltage from .2 volts to .5 volts which successfully fires the coil when it happens. When it starts acting up you can see that there is no change so whatever is telling this chip to send the signal out pin 8 it seems to not be getting the memo at times. This can happen when you first fire the machine up or while you're playing a game and going to the next ball. I don't understand why it sends a signal sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. It is a new chip by the way and has no solder joint problems. Any help would greatly appreciated. So confusing as electronic components usually don't act in this way.

#2 4 years ago

I believe the most common issue with this era Williams game is the 40 pin connector. If yours is original, consider replacing it and see if the problem persists.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Problems_and_Fixes

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-ball-release-coil-works-intermittently-so-confusing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.