Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16094698555326508714288894666534 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I just got our Williams Flash up and running and I noticed something odd. The 2X & 3X lights toward the bottom of the playfield don’t light up in attract mode but turn on when the 1-4 rollover gates are actuated. I.E. 2X is activated when 1-3 are lit and both 2X & 3X light up when 1-4 are lit up. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

You sure they're supposed to? The in game functioning sounds correct..

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You sure they're supposed to? The in game functioning sounds correct..

I saw a YouTube video of a Flash Machine in attract mode and the lights were coming on and off like all the other lights on the playfield. That’s what got me wondering.

#4 3 years ago

Here is a video showing them on in attract mode. Skip to 2:18 to see.

#5 3 years ago

Flash had two different software versions for system 4 and 6, maybe it swapped between them. You'd have to know what system that game in the video is on though...

#6 3 years ago

My Flash is system 6 and I honestly never noticed but my 2x and 3x lights don't light up during attract mode either. Otherwise they do light normally during gameplay. Never noticed! Yellow rom.

16094698555326508714288894666534 (resized).jpg16094698555326508714288894666534 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from spinout:

My Flash is system 6 and I honestly never noticed but my 2x and 3x lights don't light up during attract mode either. Otherwise they do light normally during gameplay. Never noticed! Yellow rom.
[quoted image]

Mine is System 4 with the Green ROMS. Strange. Thanks for checking!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

Mine is System 4 with the Green ROMS. Strange. Thanks for checking!

Whether the boards are system 4 or 6 doesn't matter. Only the rom color.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Whether the boards are system 4 or 6 doesn't matter. Only the rom color.

I thought there were only Yellow & Green ROMS for these boards. Both of them seem to not illuminate the 2X & 3X lights in attract mode according to what I read above. That’s why I thought it was strange.

#10 3 years ago

I wondered same thing once I was
done with my flash last spring. I saw that
video too. Mine don't illuminate during
attract either. Green rom.

#11 3 years ago

The green rom set's attract mode data does not seem to do anything with the 2x/3x lamps. Don't have the yellow romset handy to see what that one does.

It could be added to the data relatively easily with a hex editor.

#12 3 years ago

I have always thought white roms are System 3, yellow=System 4, green=System 6 and blue=System 7.

#13 3 years ago

Phoenix is system 4 with a white system rom but for the most part yes, that is the breakdown.

#14 3 years ago

Phoenix system 4? It still has the adjustments via DIP switches only however. Or is the CPU board version 4 but running system 3 SW? And of course World Cup has the special white ROM.

#15 3 years ago

Yes, system 4 board. I don't use the 'system' nomenclature to refer to the software level because it's not strictly correct to do so (even "blue=system 7" is mostly true except for hyperball and starlight) - I prefer the rom color instead.

The dip setting thing is horrible on white romsets. I'd edit the early bytes of the gamerom to make the defaults vs. flipping dips on and off.

#16 3 years ago

Thank you for all the responses. Sounds like the one where they are flashing is an oddball and that they don’t normally flash in attract mode so no need to worry or troubleshoot.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Don't have the yellow romset handy to see what that one does.

I have a yellow set installed in my Flash & the 2x & 3x lamps do not light in attract as per green roms.

On a side note, the yellow rom revision has a different sound (which I prefer) to the green rom version when you light the 10k in the eject hole.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-flash-2x-amp-3x-lights-?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.