(Topic ID: 203831)

Williams Fish Tales makes bouncing sound on start up.

By Scrimmbo

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Scrimmbo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171124_211536 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hey everyone. I've browsed this site pretty regularly when I need some pinball repair tips, but I finally signed up to ask you all a question.

I have a Fish Tales pinball that is giving me a little trouble. When I flip the power switch the game makes a bouncing sort of sound something like a "bum bum bum bum" that gets more rapid and finally stops and the game starts as normal. Here in the shop we have great electricity and it goes through this routine once. However, out on the route lots of our accounts have not so nice electricity, and when the game is in one of these locations it can go through this routine 4 or 5 times before it will start as normal (the lights come on for a second and go back out).

My thought was it was probably filter caps on the driver board, so I changed all those and ended up changing all of the rectifiers on the board, trying to chase down the problem. At this point I'm wondering where to start looking next.

#2 6 years ago

You've got a low 5 volts, and your Thermistors are old. What you're hearing is the normal boot-up sound. If it's doing it several times in a row, it means the voltage watchdog has caught the voltage at below 4.85 volts. WPC is notorious for low 5v stuff. You need to rebuild the 5v section. Usually just changing BR1 and BR2 on the power board does it for me, but the whole kit and kaboodle from plug on up needs to be looked at. When you get that multiple attempts to boot kind of thing, it also indicates that your thermistor is on the way out. It needs to "warm up" to start working. There's a board you can buy at kahr.us that should fix the problem, if you don't like soldering.

Edit: Pinwiki.com has a whole section on 5v problems on their site. It'll help tell you what to look at. Where ya operating out of, by the by?

#3 6 years ago

Hey, thanks for the info! I did change both of those bridges, and I hooked the game up through a variac to try and simulate the slightly lower voltage of some of our locations, although I'm not sure if that would actually tell me much. I will check out the thermistors and the 5v circuit like you said.

I thought I filled out the info on my profile, but maybe didn't save it. I work for an operator here in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. We do all manner of amusement stuff, and sadly don't have that many pinballs any more. I think we have maybe 15-20 on route, most of which are white star sega and stern stuff. So I do everything in my power to keep our good older Williams and Bally tables working!

Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know if I have any luck!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

You've got a low 5 volts, and your Thermistors are old. What you're hearing is the normal boot-up sound. If it's doing it several times in a row, it means the voltage watchdog has caught the voltage at below 4.85 volts. WPC is notorious for low 5v stuff.

Hey there, I'm having a hard time ID'ing the thermistors, I guess when I think of thermistors I think of black discs, but after looking it up I guess they come in several different packages. Any idea where they are, or how they are labelled on the schematic?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Hey there, I'm having a hard time ID'ing the thermistors, I guess when I think of thermistors I think of black discs, but after looking it up I guess they come in several different packages. Any idea where they are, or how they are labelled on the schematic?

Look in the power box in the cabinet...heres my Fish Tales...

20171124_211536 (resized).jpg20171124_211536 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

ohhhh haha, gotcha. I was thinking they were on the driver board.

Thanks a bunch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Herndon, VA
$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus
Playfields
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Hardware
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 169.00
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fish-tales-makes-bouncing-sound-on-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.