2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dzorbas
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flipper_order (resized).jpg
    31144A27-430E-4828-8490-8A74F8D5C6FC (resized).png
    D754590F-47D9-4969-B91C-228DC3560070 (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

New to restoring. I want to rebuild my Firepower flippers as they are weak. Left worse than right. I have read some info in a very old post but not sure how to best start this process. Is it best to stay with original parts. I don’t want to depreciate the value of the game buy customizing but also, really just want to play.

Saw this at Pinballlife. I also read that coils are almost never the problem. Is it best to do a complete upgrade or just the parts less solenoid? A couple options below. I’m here in Canada, and although I don’t mind ordering from USA, duty can be a bitch. Any good Canadian suppliers?

Thanks

D754590F-47D9-4969-B91C-228DC3560070 (resized).png

31144A27-430E-4828-8490-8A74F8D5C6FC (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

For most cases, a rebuild kit works fine. All you are doing is replacing the commonly worn/damaged parts. Most of the time, the coil and bracket are fine.

Here's a list of suppliers:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Parts_Suppliers

#3 2 years ago

What force says. As long as the built in stop is good no reason to buy the base or coil. You might add the playfield bushing to the bottom kit.

#4 2 years ago

Best to replace flipper bats too as originals are heavier as they have a metal bottom.

#5 2 years ago

What everyone else says. Imo always replace the playfield bushings when doing a full rebuild.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trickster2002:

Left worse than right.

BTW Firepower is maybe the best pre High Speed SS game.

IMHO you need to reach the fire lanes from both flippers but the right flipper is most important to most game strategies, if you can hit the top lock with your right flipper, I would just buy a rebuild kit and call myself lucky. If you can hit the fire lanes from both, you are getting there.

Here is what I would do.... your mileage may vary.

1) remove flipper coils and see if you can remove and replace the flipper tubing sleeve. If you cant and removing the coils doesn't bother you get new coils....But I had a killer TAF that had stuck coil sleeves but could crush every shot so don't let that freak you out.
    2) as a start get a minimum rebuild kit that replaces EOS switches and plungers and not brackets and coils unless 1)
    3) replace the flipper cabinet switches if you are not happy after that and play, play, play
    4) if you don't like the power at this point and want to get new brackets, look at the WPC upgrade. This is the only thing that really worked for me when the flipper didn't have the umph I wanted. FYI, I have had a handful of FirePowers and replaced the entire flipper assemblies on the first and it did nothing that the above couldn't beat.
    5) have fun and enjoy

#7 2 years ago

Sometimes I takes quite a bit of adjusting on the Eos switch to get it right. It’s also possible that you aren’t quite getting the voltage there you need - check the coil voltage before you start as it’s easy to do.. but if it’s ok then on to flippers. Make sure there’s no mechanical drag of the bat against the Playfield when you rebuild.

1 week later
    #8 2 years ago

I went ahead and ordered the full assembly from Pinball Life but here's what I ordered:

flipper_order (resized).jpg

I also asked Terry to swap out the standard EOS switches and replace them with the 03-7811 EOS switch (high voltage). This is on vid1900's recommendation on the flipper rebuild thread that you can find here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

He specifically talks about this starting in post #140.

I will tell you that the game plays completely differently now and I absolutely love it. The flippers are responsive and strong. You can easily make the top lock hole on a clean shot. I'm sure I could have just done a rebuild but I did a playfield swap, new backglass and displays, full LEDs and other stuff. Well worth it.

I'm in Toronto so I understand about shipping and duty. I was lucky and a buddy brought the parts across the border for me. Seeing as Terry uses USPS for shipping, brokerage should only be $5 flat plus duty. That's if your local post office even charges you. On the odd occasion they waive the fees. Not sure why.

Good luck either way!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from dzorbas:

I went ahead and ordered the full assembly from Pinball Life

Next time you order parts, I'd add the rebuild kit to your order. Then you can rebuild the assemblies you removed, and at some future time when you have a flipper issue, simply swap with the rebuilt assembly you have sitting on your shelf.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Next time you order parts, I'd add the rebuild kit to your order.

Good idea if I hadn't given all the parts I removed to my local tech! Duh! Wasn't thinking. May do that with my BK if I decide to replace the lower playfield assemblies. The plan is to rebuild both sets for now but if I go the replacement route I will take your advice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.00
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 9.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - Other
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 78.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 137.00
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    € 8.40
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside