• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12743673_10205846421664225_1311210216761236999_n_(resized).jpg
12734143_10205846421984233_5715068244806023145_n_(resized).jpg
12742703_10205846422504246_2149431344765587632_n_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

Hmm, I'm kind of in the process of doing the drop-target retrofit myself. Kind-of because I am making very slow progress.

I will also be using the leaf switch style drops, but my understanding is that, to work properly, the 'all down' switch connections must also be wired. (See http://pinball.flippers.info/firepowerdroptargets/.) I would guess that you have not connected them because there is no easy way to do so with non-horseshoe drops. I suspect that the behavior you are seeing is caused by the MPU missing one or more drop target hits (which are meant to be momentary). At a guess, I would say that this is caused by row/column collisions with other switches.

I would be interested in knowing exactly what behavior you are seeing if you have the time and patience to test it out.

One of the reasons for my slow progress is that I am working on some circuitry to simulate the momentary and 'all down' behavior of the horseshoe drops. I wish I could say that I have an expected end-date for my project but I don't. I suspect that the fastest solution to your problem will be to downgrade to horseshoe drop targets.

#14 8 years ago

Grumpy: Do you know whether anyone has tested your suggestion of simply adding a second set of switches to leaf style drops (presumably to be wired in series for the 'all down' connection)?

I ask because I orginally had the thought of rebuilding the switch stacks to add a second NO and an additional NC set of contacts. My idea was to use the extra switches to simulate a momentary close by careful adjustment and arrangement of the leaves, but I ultimately decided the idea was likely to be too fiddly to be reliable.

If your suggestion works - using continuous contacts for the drop hits as well as the 'all down' - it would seem to be a superior approach to the drop retrofit in that it would have full functionaility but avoid the maintenance hassle of horseshoe drops.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-firepower-drop-target-issue?tu=mbd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.