• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190225_101355 (resized).jpg
20190225_091930 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys, just picked up a Williams Fire! and after a few plays it starting giving a switch warning for the upper right slingshot. I was not able to get either switch to register in test mode and the coil would not engage in the solenoid test. The opposite kicker on the left would score, test fine in switch and solenoid tests. Upon further investigation, the coil was not mounted correctly, the diode was essentially against the coil stop. The coil was fried. I replaced the coil with no change, the coil does not lock on as I suspected it would.

I pulled the board to find that this section appears to have been a problematic area in the past. I understand why the coil is burnt and the it will not fire, but I do not get why the two switches at the right upper slingshot do not register. They both look fine, no broken wires, etc. Was hoping someone here could shed some light on why. The only thing I can think is that maybe a previous owner disconnected the switches or cut them somewhere that I haven't found yet. It seems like too big of a coincidence that the coil is fried and both switches do no work.

20190225_091930 (resized).jpg20190225_091930 (resized).jpg20190225_101355 (resized).jpg20190225_101355 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

The switches that stick through the playfield only fire the coil, they don't register. There's an additional switch under the playfield that the coil closes when it fires which is the one that will show in switch test.

#3 5 years ago

That makes sense. Thanks.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from mtgedney:

Was hoping someone here could shed some light on why.

The score switch is under the play field, to get it to work the plunger must be pulled into the coil. Since the coil doesn't work it can't move the switch and give a score and the machine will say there is an error after 30 games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-upper-slingshot-kicker-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.