• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by garman411
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Williams Fire yesterday and when I got it home I fired it up and all the sounds and speech worked. I turned it on tonight and all I have is the music but no speech. I ran the diagnostic test in the sound mode and it cycles through the sound but I can't hear anything. The Music diagnostics works fine. When I hit the sound test on the MPU I don't get the siren noise the manual says and I get no sound at all except a contestant annoying beep.

Should I be looking at one of the roms or something else. This is my first Williams game and the first one I have ever had to work on so any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris.

#2 9 years ago

sound boards go bad. Sometimes it's a cap, sometimes it can be the rom. Could be a cold solder joint at the connector, "could" be a bad ribbon cable, but not likely.

So you can either try fiddling with it, or buy a refurb from K's and sell yours on ebay
http://ksarcade.net/williams-system-11-audio-board-d-11581.html

#3 9 years ago

Is there anyway to test a rom? It was very cold weather when I transported it, could that have done something to it?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

Is there anyway to test a rom?

not unless you have a scope, or a chip tester

Quoted from garman411:

It was very cold weather when I transported it, could that have done something to it?

Not likely, so long as you let it warm back up.

I would tackle the simple easy things first, like reflowing solder joints, wiggling connectors. Then test for bad caps (or just replace all the major ones to eliminate that possiblity).

#5 9 years ago

ok I'll give it a shot thanks.

2 weeks later
#6 9 years ago

Hey guys,

I replaced the sound roms on my mpu board and all the speech and sounds worked for about 5 games and then went out again. Any ideas what might cause this. The music still works just the sound took a dump again.

Thanks Chris

#7 9 years ago

Bad Sockets suspected: Press and hold the U21 and U22 chips while turning on the power.
hit the sound test button if nothing then-
Reseat The MPU chip U24 re test

#8 9 years ago

Ok it worked when I held in the sound roms, so these sockets need to be replaced? Thanks for the help I was bummed when it stopped working again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-sound-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.