New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 92668)

Williams Fire Restoration, Custom Topper

By Lonzo

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 356 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Lonzo
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 381 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bed_(resized).JPG
fire_(resized).JPG
bttf_(resized).JPG
Dscf4678_(resized).jpg
Dscf4676_(resized).jpg
Dscf4675_(resized).jpg
Dscf4674_(resized).jpg
Dscf4672_(resized).jpg
Dscf4671_(resized).jpg
Dscf4667_(resized).jpg
Dscf4670_(resized).jpg
Dscf4668_(resized).jpg
Dscf4665_(resized).jpg
Dscf4666_(resized).jpg
Dscf4664_(resized).jpg
Dscf4663_(resized).jpg

There are 356 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

#302 4 years ago

So sorry about the pup. Hope it all works out.
Very nice job on Fire!

#303 4 years ago

So sorry to read that, Good vibes from France to you and your dog, hope he will be ok soon

#304 4 years ago

Appreciate the thoughts. He did great with surgery. Awake and pain free for now! Don't get to pick him up til Saturday though.

#305 4 years ago

Poor puppy...sweet hugs for him. Being an animal lover my heart goes out to him and you. Wishes for speedy recovery. I know first hand this is costing a pretty penny. Our pups are worth the bucks sometimes. Mine sleeps under the machines on comfy costco bed. She doesn't even flinch or wake up during game play, the machines are her comfort sometimes.

1 week later
#306 4 years ago

Any updates on the pup Lonzo?
I hope all went ok?
Good luck to you man.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Any updates on the pup Lonzo?
I hope all went ok?
Good luck to you man.

Thanks for asking. He did so well in surgery that they let him come home a day early. He is one tough little pup. He is on restricted activity for 8 weeks but he can walk around and appears pretty happy and pain free. I don't think he realizes he is hurt and he had been throwing a fit to get out if his restricted area. Lol. I take that as a good thing. Very blessed that he is doing so well.

Hope to put up an update on the machine tonight.

#308 4 years ago

Its time to show the topper that I created for this machine. I took a playfield video in attract mode. I apologize for the quality. The only video I can take is with a digital camera so the quality does not do the machine justice.

Here is the video with the topper.

This topper is not for the purist as you have to cut two holes in the top of the backbox. I don't really care since I am not in it for the money and don't plan on selling the machine.
motors_(resized).JPGmotors_2_(resized).JPG

Here is a view form the top.
top_(resized).JPG

The topper has two modes. When you hit the start button, the fire will come on for 20 seconds. While playing the game, the fire will come on for 10 seconds when you make it up the center ladder. The topper is controlled by two delay timers. To power the timers and the yet to be installed lighted flipper buttons and undercab lighting is a switching power supply. The timers have a switch input on the left side and the 120 volt for the fire pots on the right. You can barely see it in the top of the picture, but the 120 volt coming out of the timers goes to a low profile wall outlet. Each fire pot is plugged into the outlet and the cords run up to the backbox.
timers_(resized).JPG

Now I am trying to decide if I want to add the extra playfield buildings to the backbox in front of the flames. Here is kinda the idea I had.
buildings_(resized).JPG

If added, I would light them and probably hook them to the GI circuit. Here is a pic with the fire on.
buildings_fire_(resized).JPG

Here is a short video with the buildings sitting on the backbox.

I will document how I added the required switches to the center ladder ramp latter. I only had one extra switch so I had to order one. When it comes in, I will show how I did this.

#309 4 years ago

Very cool!
-mof

#310 4 years ago

Wow I just read this whole thread. Very nice project. A few questions if you don't mind and you may have answered them already so I apologize. What brand of decal paper do you use both clear and white? Also what type of a color laser printer are you using? Thanks in advance.

#311 4 years ago

Neat idea!

What voltage do the fire pots run at? I'm guessing 12 volts. Could you not use your switching power supply to run those as well instead of switching 120 volts for the wall wart power supplies?
--
Jeremy

#312 4 years ago
Quoted from BlackKnight2538:

Wow I just read this whole thread. Very nice project. A few questions if you don't mind and you may have answered them already so I apologize. What brand of decal paper do you use both clear and white? Also what type of a color laser printer are you using? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I have tried a couple different kinds of decal paper and the one I like the most is Decalpaper.com. As for the printer, I have a LaserJet Pro 200 M251nw.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

Neat idea!
What voltage do the fire pots run at? I'm guessing 12 volts. Could you not use your switching power supply to run those as well instead of switching 120 volts for the wall wart power supplies?
--
Jeremy

i would have liked to do that to make the instalation a little cleaner but the voltage is 12v AC.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

This topper is not for the purist as you have to cut two holes in the top of the backbox. I don't really care since I am not in it for the money and don't plan on selling the machine.

I see you likely bought these for the flames:
http://www.partycity.com/product/hanging+electric+flame+light.do

It's a shame you cut holes in the top of the cabinet. You could have raised it slightly off the top surface (so air could flow underneath), and hid them with a bezel of buildings in front of it. Still very cool that you figured out circuitry to get them to activate during certain modes.

#315 4 years ago

I had a really close call with the machine today. As you may have noticed in some previous posts, I put poster board on the side panels of the cabinet so when I raise and lower the playfield during the final assembly process, I do not scratch the side panels. Thant normally blocks the playfield glass channel so most of the times I am not working on it I lay a couple of towels over the machine to keep the dust out. We were doing a walkthrough of our new house and before I left for some reason, I placed the glass on top the cardboard instead of the towels.

Its been raining all day and when we got home, I went into the room to get a blanket so I could chill with my dogs in the living room. I looked at the machine and something wasn't right. The glass looked funny but the brain wasn't processing what I was looking at because it shouldn't be happening. I touched the glass and my fear was realized. It looked like the machine had been sitting in the rain. The glass was covered with water and there were splash marks on the speaker panel. I removed the glass and luckily the main playfield was dry.

Here is the glass laying on the ground (don't ask, its an old piece that I did some paint testing on and now just use as a dust cover.) Dscf4663_(resized).jpg

When I lifted the playfield. there was water sitting in the forward part of the cabinet. The bottom was also a little wet and dripping on the carpet.
Dscf4662_(resized).jpg

The water was running down the glass and then dripping down the apron and the very end of the playfield and into the cabinet. I quickly dried everything and hooked up some fans.
Dscf4664_(resized).jpg

I am just thinking how lucky I was that I put the glass on. Had I not, then the water would have been all over the playfield draining through every hole. I don't even want to think about it.

The roof of our rental house developed a leak and somehow was coming through the pot light and landing on the machine.

#316 4 years ago

Damn man, how about being lucky and unlucky at the same time. Glad you had to get that blanket. I only hope the water didn't had a chance to crawl into the cabinet's wood and will cause some issues in the future.

How's your dog doing?

#317 4 years ago

Wozer, close call!

#318 4 years ago

Move the machine over 10 feet to the right. Super lucky, still keep fan on it for at least 2 days.

1 week later
#319 4 years ago

Hello Alonzo. Great restoration! I've been following since I got my fire a few weeks back. Any updates today and how is the pup doing?

#320 4 years ago

How did machine fare the great leaky roof disaster? I hope well.

#321 4 years ago

All is well with the machine and Rudy is doing amazingly well. He is still restricted for another 5 weeks but he is getting back to himself. Thanks for asking.

Finished up the topper over the last couple of days. If you hook up two switches to the timers, it screws the whole switch matrix up because of the common switch/power connector. I wanted to trigger the "fire" whenever you made the ladder shot. To do this, I had to add two more switches to the doors at the top of the ladder.

Here are the original switches for each door.
Dscf4665_(resized).jpg

I took two new micro switches and bent the switch wire to mirror the original switches.
Dscf4666_(resized).jpg

Then I replaced the original 4/40 screws with longer ones and mounted the switches on the back side of the mounting plate.
Dscf4667_(resized).jpg

Next I wired them up.
Dscf4668_(resized).jpg

I then took these wires and ran them to the 10 second timer. Every time you climb the ladder, the fire will activate for 10 seconds.

Next I wired the lighted red flipper buttons. I hooked this into the coin door lighting.
Dscf4672_(resized).jpg

Here is each light. Dscf4671_(resized).jpgDscf4670_(resized).jpgDscf4674_(resized).jpg

Finally I got to mounting the buildings on the backbox. I decided to light the buildings using the backbox GI. Here are the lights.
Dscf4676_(resized).jpgDscf4675_(resized).jpg

Here is it finished. Sorry for the bad picture. I turned the flash off to get a better picture and that caused it to be a little blurry.
Dscf4678_(resized).jpg

Well, I guess the restore is now officially done. The only ting left to do is add under cabinet lighting which I will do later because I am out of stock on the lights right now.

If you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to PM me.

I might try and bring the machine to TPF.

Thanks for following.

I think Jurassic Park is next up on the list.

#322 4 years ago

It's clearly done, and worth the wait. I still say one of the most amazing restorations I've seen. And to top it off, you just did that!
Great work, and amazing attention to detail!
Kinda sad to see this end.

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

It's clearly done, and worth the wait. I still say one of the most amazing restorations I've seen. And to top it off, you just did that!
Great work, and amazing attention to detail!
Kinda sad to see this end.

Thanks. It turned out to be a much more in depth restoration than I was planning when I bought it but it has been fun and I learned a lot and I have a unique version of the machine that I hope people will enjoy.

#324 4 years ago

Looks great, the extra switches on the ramp turned out nice.
-Question - could you have used a relay on the old switches? I'm not saying a relay would be better, just wondering

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

Looks great, the extra switches on the ramp turned out nice.
-Question - could you have used a relay on the old switches? I'm not saying a relay would be better, just wondering

I guess I would need to know more about your idea. There might be an easier way to do it. As long as the circuit was isolated from the timer, it should work.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from cad-kid:

could you have used a relay on the old switches? I'm not saying a relay would be better, just wondering

I'm not sure the switch matrix would handle the current required by the relay, or if the relay would operate fast enough due to the scanning nature of the matrix.

Since most of these switches are pretty much standard "Cherry" switches, I wonder if it would be able to find DPST or DPDT versions, and just move the lever over.

#327 4 years ago

I think the way you approached the problem is great! No need to make any changes.

They do make some tiny relays that can handle the same current as those cherry switches. One would just have to figure what the voltage on the switch matrix is.

1 week later
#328 4 years ago

The machine is at Texas Pinball Festival if anyone would like to see it. It is set up next to my Back to the Future.

#329 4 years ago

Damn, wish I was at show! Would love to see both your pins in person!

#330 4 years ago

Wow, what a day. took two machines to TPF this year. I have been before but this is the first time I have taken any machines. Just thought it would be fun to let people play these machines but I had no thoughts of winning anything.

Fire won First Place for Best Restoration
fire_(resized).JPG

Back to the future was Runner Up for best 90's machine.
bttf_(resized).JPG

These two machines probably saw more action in the last 2 1/2 days than the previous 20 years. As soon as I got them back in their new gameroom, they both grabbed a pillow and went to sleep.
bed_(resized).JPG

Thanks to everyone that stopped by to say hello and I appreciate all the comments. See you guys next year.

Now I have to decide what to do next. Strange Science, Jurassic Park, Apollo 13, Waterworld, Corvette........

#331 4 years ago

Congrats, your work deserved these prices.
I did not follow the back to future story, but as a Fire owner, i appreciate your work on this winner

#332 4 years ago

Oh man, now I'm really bummed I didn't go! Well Fire for First was a no brainer,you deserved that without even going to a show. Bttf looks amazing, making me mad I sold mine last year.
Congratulations Lonzo, Amazing restoration. I believe I called this earlier in Thread!!!!!

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Wow, what a day. took two machines to TPF this year. I have been before but this is the first time I have taken any machines. Just thought it would be fun to let people play these machines but I had no thoughts of winning anything.
Fire won First Place for Best Restoration
fire_(resized).JPG
Back to the future was Runner Up for best 90's machine.
bttf_(resized).JPG
These two machines probably saw more action in the last 2 1/2 days than the previous 20 years. As soon as I got them back in their new gameroom, they both grabbed a pillow and went to sleep.
bed_(resized).JPG
Thanks to everyone that stopped by to say hello and I appreciate all the comments. See you guys next year.
Now I have to decide what to do next. Strange Science, Jurassic Park, Apollo 13, Waterworld, Corvette........

Wow. I didn't know that Fire was your machine. That was the game I kept going back to again and again. I never really liked that game until I played yours, and now I want one...but it's got to have that incredible topper! There was another Fire there, but the bell didn't work, and my wife said, "Where are the flames?"

You've done a wonderful job, my friend. Thanks for sharing with us, and hopefully I can make one look and play as nice as yours.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Oh man, now I'm really bummed I didn't go! Well Fire for First was a no brainer,you deserved that without even going to a show. Bttf looks amazing, making me mad I sold mine last year.
Congratulations Lonzo, Amazing restoration. I believe I called this earlier in Thread!!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wow. I didn't know that Fire was your machine. That was the game I kept going back to again and again. I never really liked that game until I played yours, and now I want one...but it's got to have that incredible topper! There was another Fire there, but the bell didn't work, and my wife said, "Where are the flames?"
You've done a wonderful job, my friend. Thanks for sharing with us, and hopefully I can make one look and play as nice as yours.

It's funny that you mention the bell. I barely got it done in time to bring it and it literally had 10 games on it since I finished it. So I was a little nervous since I didn't get to "ring it out" before bringing it. Besides a ball stuck issue that I had a few times on the left lock lane, which I finally got adjusted, it performed great. But as me and my buddy (a fellow restorer) were all over the floor, I kept listening for the bell and every time I heard it I would give him the thumbs up and say "she's still playing" lol

Hope you find a good one and if you need any help, give me a shout.

#335 4 years ago

Congrats Lonzo

#336 4 years ago

Beautiful machine. I really enjoyed playing it this weekend and a well deserved award!

Thank you for sharing it.

#337 4 years ago

Congrats!
-mof

#338 4 years ago

Thanks. It was fun to see everyone playing it.

#340 4 years ago

Both machines were first class. Very well done and I heard almost every person that played them commented on how great they looked and played. Great job!

#341 4 years ago

Good and hard work congratulations, I hope that I'm gonna bring my Fire! in at least a similar condition...

#342 4 years ago

Excellent job on a well deserved win!

#343 4 years ago

Amazing! Congratulations!

#344 4 years ago

Saw this at TPF what a great job and glad its close to my parents house in Sheridan Arkansas

#345 4 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Quoted from Jaywoods06:

Saw this at TPF what a great job and glad its close to my parents house in Sheridan Arkansas

Give me a shout if you are up visiting your parents. We will play some pinball.

1 week later
#346 4 years ago

I played your Fire at TPF. It was a fun playing pin. Thanks for bringing it.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I played your Fire at TPF. It was a fun playing pin. Thanks for bringing it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

2 years later
#348 1 year ago

wow, wish you would of made some extra of those lift ramps.

#349 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

wow, wish you would of made some extra of those lift ramps.

Are you referring to the clear plastic ramps on each side?

#350 1 year ago

In case anyone is interested, I started my next restoration of a Bally Harley Davidson. Let the fun begin.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-harley-davidson-restoration#post-4775884

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 50.00
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntley, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 356 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside