Dscf4671_(resized).jpg
Dscf4667_(resized).jpg
Dscf4670_(resized).jpg
Dscf4668_(resized).jpg
Dscf4665_(resized).jpg
Dscf4666_(resized).jpg
Dscf4664_(resized).jpg
Dscf4663_(resized).jpg
There are 357 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 9 years ago

Well, I started my Fire restoration a few days ago. Going to be a little more involved than I thought but here we go. I didn't document the teardown as it probably resembles most machines out there. It has the normal cracked or broken building plastics. I will document the repairs as I do them.

The Cab is a 10 footer. It looks good from 10 feet. When you get closer it has some issues. On of the things is a previous owner touched it up. The paint actually matches but the shine is different. You don't even see it until the camera flashes and then it really shows up.
There is some planking but the graphics part has good color.
cab front.jpgcab front.jpgcab left.jpgcab left.jpgcab right.jpgcab right.jpgbackbox left.jpgbackbox left.jpgbackbox right.jpgbackbox right.jpgcab inside.jpgcab inside.jpg

The playfield has mylar and some insert wear.
playfield lower.jpgplayfield lower.jpgplayfield mid.jpgplayfield mid.jpgplayfield upper.jpgplayfield upper.jpg

Insert wear. yuk
insert left.jpginsert left.jpginsert right.jpginsert right.jpg

This is the shooter skill shot lane.
shooter wear.jpgshooter wear.jpg

Next up is to clean the playfield and scan it into the computer

This is the area with the most wear and will be the most challenging to repair. upper wear.jpgupper wear.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Very cool.... Excited to watch the progress on yours..

A friend just got one also.... Looking forward to getting it up and running soon.....

#3 9 years ago

Kinda interesting. In my research, I have seen at least 3 different versions of the playfield. I have not been able to find any documentation on the different versions or what order they were produced.

Anybody have any info on this?

#4 9 years ago

Well, I got done tearing it all apart. While the playfield can be restored, I have a line on a NOS playfield and if that works out then I will do a swap and restore the original one at another time.
empty cab.jpgempty cab.jpg

Boards Boards
boards.jpgboards.jpg

The side art is not too bad but there is some planking and wood issues with the cabinet. Since I plan on doing a playfield swap I don't want the playfield to look new and the cabinet look average. I have decided to restore the whole cabinet. I plan on repairing and repainting the entire cabinet and I will create my own decals for the cabinet. I also plan a killer topper that I am not going to disclose at this time.

Scanning the cabinet for the decals.
scan.jpgscan.jpg

This was the best side and was scanned for the decals.
ide art.jpgide art.jpg

I also plan on doing some custom repair work to the plastics that I think will make them look as good as new.

#5 9 years ago

Great project. I'm preparing to do a playfield swap on my Fire. Only issue I haven't licked are the buildings on the right. My clear bridge broke off the building and has a good structural repair, but can be seen. You mentioned plastic repair, are you talking about the buildings or just the regular playfield plastics? The playfield plastic sets are still available, but the buildings are not and if you have a method for repair I would really like to learn how it's done.
Best of luck and enjoy.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Great project. I'm preparing to do a playfield swap on my Fire. Only issue I haven't licked are the buildings on the right. My clear bridge broke off the building and has a good structural repair, but can be seen. You mentioned plastic repair, are you talking about the buildings or just the regular playfield plastics? The playfield plastic sets are still available, but the buildings are not and if you have a method for repair I would really like to learn how it's done.
Best of luck and enjoy.

Yes, I am talking about the building plastics. It will be a little while before I get to that point but I will do some experimenting and I will post the results and the "how to" (If it works) in this thread. I will also be adding the new normal playfield plastics set.

#7 9 years ago

There are quite a few owners looking for the buildings. I wish we had a way to get them reproduced. I have a new one for the center, but the left and right side I have to reuse. My left one is fine, and neither is warped or heat damaged, but the cracked bridge has me stumped. I have built up a pretty good inventory of parts for "Fire" so if you run into something you can't find feel free to contact me and see if I might have what you need.

#8 9 years ago

I really like the artwork of these early pins. So much better than the "photos" that current pin mfgs use on playfields. Good luck on the restore! Can't wait to see the topper!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

There are quite a few owners looking for the buildings. I wish we had a way to get them reproduced. I have a new one for the center, but the left and right side I have to reuse. My left one is fine, and neither is warped or heat damaged, but the cracked bridge has me stumped. I have built up a pretty good inventory of parts for "Fire" so if you run into something you can't find feel free to contact me and see if I might have what you need.

Thanks. If I run into a problem with a part, I will keep you in mind.

I just don't see the buildings being reproduced. The cost of the molds and then they have to be painted and then stickers put on. People probably couldn't afford them.

#10 9 years ago

Added to favourites. Just got my Fire! up and running 100% last night for the first time. Now, like you, I'm onto a fight with the cosmetics. Good luck!

Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

#11 9 years ago

@ Lonzo: can you scan the rescue shot area for me ? My fire is 100% now except that area.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

@ Lonzo: can you scan the rescue shot area for me ? My fire is 100% now except that area.

I have a link to HD pictures of my new playfield if that would help any. Pm me if you want them and I'll e-mail the link. I had them taken for a guy restoring one who needed good pics.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

I have a link to HD pictures of my new playfield if that would help any. Pm me if you want them and I'll e-mail the link. I had them taken for a guy restoring one who needed good pics.

PM send, thanks!

#14 9 years ago

No problem, my daughter is a professional photographer and she took them for me.

#15 9 years ago

If the pictures don't work, let me know and I will scan that for you. I always scan every playfield I work on for future reference. Are you trying to touch it up with paint or wanting to make a decal?

#16 9 years ago

I am very interested in this. I picked one up along with a NOS playfield. My cabinet is rough and really would need new decals. If you make some I would be interested in how you do it. As far as I know no one makes them.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

If the pictures don't work, let me know and I will scan that for you. I always scan every playfield I work on for future reference. Are you trying to touch it up with paint or wanting to make a decal?

I want to make a decal, if thats easy enough to do.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

I want to make a decal, if thats easy enough to do.

Is this the area you are talking about. I have finished all the graphics except inserts. I did this work before I found a NOS playfield. I will restore this playfield when inrun out of things to do n
image-70.jpgimage-70.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Here is a question for you guys that have a fire. In the picture above you can see the dark brown area in the center. There is also a lot if it in the lower playfield. There is also a lot of black areas. Are all games like that or are the brown areas black on some playfields? In several playfields that I have seen pictures of on the Internet, both areas seem to look black. It may be such a small color difference that it doesn't really show up in photos.

#20 9 years ago

I'm certainly no expert on it, but there were several different versions out there. I think the original production model was the brown backround, most of the repros had more black. The one I have is the blacker model, so I assume it is a reproduction, not NOS.

#21 9 years ago

According to Stu at CPR the ones with the mostly or all black were a very large run of rejects that Williams never intended to use. Thus is the reason there have been a lot of "NOS playfields" with the mostly black that are for sale out there These were never dimpled or drilled as they never made it to Williams production line

#22 9 years ago

Mine is dimpled and drilled, but it is definitely the darker version.

#23 9 years ago

I am summing that getting correct placement of screw and posts would be difficult with nor that is not drilled.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Is this the area you are talking about. I have finished all the graphics except inserts. I did this work before I found a NOS playfield. I will restore this playfield when inrun out of things to do n

image-70.jpg 452 KB

This is the area... As you can see really bad. Never made a decal so any tips are welcome.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

This is the area... As you can see really bad. Never made a decal so any tips are welcome.

Wow. That would be a challenge. I will have to ponder that. If I come up with something I will let you know.

#26 9 years ago

Well, based on some information that you guys provided, I examined pictures of the NOS playfield that I found and it appears to be one of the seconds that is not drilled. I have pulled the plug on it and I guess I will do a restore on mine.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Wow. That would be a challenge. I will have to ponder that. If I come up with something I will let you know.

Thnx, really appreciated. I have some new plastics and playfieldstickers/decals left from my Fire so if you need something let me know.

#28 9 years ago

Fixer may know more but I am under the impression that the "reject" boards were not used because of the darker color, but as far as I know, the boards are accurate and not rejected for other "defects". May still be simpler to drill than trying to reproduce all the artwork. I guess it depends on you access to proper tooling and such. I have never done either, but personally, I'm better drilling than restoring art, but that's me. Best of luck, whatever way you decide.

#29 9 years ago

Hey Lonzo...Any chance you plan on cabinet decals after you complete your scans? I am sure there would be quite a few interested if you are planning on making extra sets and it may keep some costs down (if you plan on going that route and if that is something you could use).

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Never made a decal so any tips are welcome.

Easy to make a decal.

All you need is someone here to email you a clean scan of the area.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/3

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Easy to make a decal.
All you need is someone here to email you a clean scan of the area.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/3

thnx for the link, I will give it a try

#32 9 years ago

I am a little OCD so when I start something I like to finish it before moving on. Since I started working on the Cab graphics before I decided not to get that playfield I wanted to finish what I was working on before getting back to the playfield. The backbox graphics are finished. This picture is shrunk 7x so some of the lines look a little jagged but that is due to the zoom out.
image-116.jpgimage-116.jpg

It's interesting to me that most machines I have seen that "appear" to have symmetrical graphics don't. For example the black lines on one side may be wider than the ones on the other side etc. since this is for my machine I decided to make it truly symmetrical. I did the graphics on one side and then mirrored them to the other. Makes for a great finished product. The purist may no like that but it's my machine.

#33 9 years ago

Those look great.

#34 9 years ago

I would love to buy some decals.

#35 9 years ago

Me too!

#36 9 years ago

The joy of life on the road. At least I have something to do to pass the time in the hotel when the weather is not that great.
fire edit.jpegfire edit.jpeg

I have the backbox and front cabinet art done and ready to cut. I hope to have the main cabinet side art done tomorrow.

I dropped the backbox off today for paint matching and should be able to pick it up when I get off this trip. I plan on cutting the graphics and make sure all the colors match etc. before I start the cabinet wood work. Once I start that, there is no turning back to I want to make sure the art is good before I destroy the original stuff.

Well, back to the computer.

#37 9 years ago

Looking really nice Lonzo. I plan to get to mine eventually as well.

#38 9 years ago

Well, this project is officially on hold. The cabinet art work is done but I took the Mylar off tonight and let's just say the playfield is not repairable. I have taken Mylar of several playfields (even other system 11 games) in the past and have never had an issue. Well tonight all that changed. Maybe this playfield had a hard life and many temp changes and the artwork was weak.

With all that being said I have no desire to work on the cabinet until I find a playfield so this one is going back in storage for now. I might go ahead and work out the mechanics of the topper but that's about all I will do until I get a playfield. I know the CPR list is closed but maybe they will have some extras. And I just ordered new plastics today. Grrrr

Oh well, I have plenty of projects to keep me busy
Apollo 13
Jurassic Park
Strange Science
Gilligan's Island
Waterworld
Super Flite
Funhouse

When I pick this project back up I will continue this thread.

#39 9 years ago

That's to bad same happened to me when I removed Mylar from a NOS Fire! Playfield. So I wait for the CPR ones I should be on the list and I hope to get one but my cabinet is 100% complete. I have taken a regular edition and am converting it to a Champagne Edition. Here's a picimage.jpgimage.jpg

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixer837:

That's to bad same happened to me when I removed Mylar from a NOS Fire! Playfield. So I wait for the CPR ones I should be on the list and I hope to get one but my cabinet is 100% complete. I have taken a regular edition and am converting it to a Champagne Edition. Here's a pic

image.jpg 61 KB

Did you rebuild the entire cab?

#41 9 years ago

No sanded it down then applied oak veneer

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixer837:

That looks badass, like an old bar in Chicago.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixer837:

That certainly makes a lot more sense.

#44 9 years ago

That is fire! Love the veneer.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixer837:

That's to bad same happened to me when I removed Mylar from a NOS Fire! Playfield. So I wait for the CPR ones I should be on the list and I hope to get one but my cabinet is 100% complete. I have taken a regular edition and am converting it to a Champagne Edition. Here's a pic

image.jpg 61 KB

That looks great. Did you find the fire rollers for the backbox?

Now that I am done pouting I might try and restore the playfield.

1 week later
#46 9 years ago

Ron Kruzman had a NOS one on eBay...not there anymore, though. Not sure if it sold, maybe worth an email? Buy it now was $699, but dropped to $649 as of a few weeks ago.

Rob
creditdotpinball.com

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Ron Kruzman had a NOS one on eBay...not there anymore, though. Not sure if it sold, maybe worth an email? Buy it now was $699, but dropped to $649 as of a few weeks ago.
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

Every one I have seen on eBay was a reject with Mylar that wasn't dimpled or drilled. In my book with CPR playfields coming out they are only good for wall art.

I have been working on mine. We'll see how it goes

#48 9 years ago

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the Correct Production BROWN Version vrs the Rejected Black Version....

Our new CPR Repro FIRE! Playfields are the Correct Brown Version and are in Clear-Coating right now, they should be available soon.......

Stu

Black & Brown Comparison-757.jpgBlack & Brown Comparison-757.jpg
#49 9 years ago

Sounds awesome. And jus to make sure there was no confusion. The rejects are the wall art. Lol

#50 9 years ago

Stu maybe you can shed some light on this. I have seen 3 different versions of the shooter lane. Looks like you guys are going with the two long switch cut outs. Can you explain what the story is for the different versions and why you guys went with the one you did.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
There are 357 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.