image (resized).jpg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
fire_brackets_7.25.23 (resized).jpg
IMG_3253 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3251 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3252 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3250 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3247 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 21.
#451 6 years ago

Printed one off, here's a comparison. Note I did beef up the hook from the original:

fire_triangle_original_vs_3dprint (resized).jpgfire_triangle_original_vs_3dprint (resized).jpg

#452 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I will check the sleeve, but the bell sounds perfect every now and then but many times doesn't sound. I thought it must be a software issue, but that doesn't seem like it's it...will keep working at it.

Thanks.

#453 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Thanks for the responses. I will check the sleeve, but the bell sounds perfect every now and then but many times doesn't sound. I thought it must be a software issue, but that doesn't seem like it's it...will keep working at it.
Thanks.

The set screw is most likely your issue like someone else mentioned.

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I have it up on thingiverse so anyone can download and either print it themselves, or send it to a service like shapeways or voodoo manufacturing. I would recommend printing in ABS or polycarbonate for strength and wear. I can print PLA for anyone who wants one, but I can't guarantee it will last. The cam feature on the back should be accurate enough.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781923

Nice!

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Thanks.

If the sleeve or plunger have a defect this can prevent it from ringing some of the time. You can test it by firing the coil off a bunch of times by grounding it and seeing if it has intermittent problems. Don't ground the wrong side.

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If the sleeve or plunger have a defect this can prevent it from ringing some of the time. You can test it by firing the coil off a bunch of times by grounding it and seeing if it has intermittent problems. Don't ground the wrong side.

You can also just actuvate in tests menu.

#457 6 years ago

Good call, although it wouldn't isolate the coil itself as much as it would include the signalling process and wiring.

#458 6 years ago

support brackets kicked off, should be done by the end of the week

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

support brackets kicked off, should be done by the end of the week

Can't wait, thanks again! Let us know how we can settle up with you.

#460 6 years ago

10 sets dropped off today. PM me with your email address and location so I can send an invoice. Let me know if you want them plain or black (I will use hammerpaint this time). I have enough hardware for maybe 3 sets, I need to order more screws/nuts from mcmaster.

fire_brackets_2.9.18 (resized).jpgfire_brackets_2.9.18 (resized).jpg

#461 6 years ago

6 bracket sets shipped out, 1 invoice still unpaid, 3 haven't contacted me with their info.

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

6 bracket sets shipped out, 1 invoice still unpaid, 3 haven't contacted me with their info.

If those guys back out I will take another set. Let me know

#463 6 years ago

Paid.

#464 6 years ago

Paid - Joe what color do you have on your machine? I am thinking black would be pretty cool looking?

#465 6 years ago

Paid up too, Thank You.

#466 6 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Joe what color do you have on your machine? I am thinking black would be pretty cool looking?

Black.. it matches the walls better, and the paint helps protect the bare aluminum.

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Black.. it matches the walls better, and the paint helps protect the bare aluminum.

Decision made. Please make mine black. Thank you.

-Anthony

#468 6 years ago

I just bought a set of buildings off a fire. They are in good shape. I am only using the right bridge plastic. I will have the rest for sale if someone needs something. I paid a ton for this set so they will not be dirt cheap. Just want to recoup my funds. These are very hard to find.

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The set screw is most likely your issue like someone else mentioned.

Yep...fine tuned the set "post" that limits the throw of the plunger on the solenoid that activates the bell...all good now. Thanks for the help.

#470 6 years ago

Posting this as a placeholder.. doubt I'll get 9 more to sign up for another bracket run but:
daly124 - 1 set
ScottinSGFNY - 1 set
Added over 6 years ago: Jamie_H - 1 set

Added over 6 years ago: BALL_LESS1: 1 set

#471 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Posting this as a placeholder.. doubt I'll get 9 more to sign up for another bracket run but:
daly124 - 1 set
ScottinSGFNY - 1 set

better get em while you can.

#472 6 years ago

BIG THANKS to Joe for these! Just got mine in the mail, have not put them on yet but hope to soon! They look awesome! Thanks again!

#473 6 years ago

I'm glad I joined the club but it wasn't easy.I was told to bring help because he couldn't lift right now,wasn't that he couldn't but he wasn't on account of the pain in the ass it was to get it out of his basement.the stairs went all the way to the wall with no landing so a dolly really wasn't an option and the door at the top had to come off to get anything out.we had to take off the back box and removed the playfield to lighten the load then my help pooped out on me and wanted to wait until the next day to get it into my basement so I carried the back box and the playfield down by myself and used the dolly to get the cab down.me and the wife are loving the addition to the collection and unless I run across a nicer champagne addition it's a keeper.

2 weeks later
#474 6 years ago

Center house ad. Broken houses for decal recycling on other houses to.

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple) - “FIRE! 1987 WILLIAMS PINBALL CENTER HOUSE PINBALL PLAYFIELD PLASTIC NOT BAD FOR ITS AGE AND STORAGE, DECALS ARE STILL ATTACHED FIRMLY, NO BREAKS OR CRACKS. THE TOP OF HOUSE IN B...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
25 (Firm)
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 500 times

#475 6 years ago

Had no intention on buying another pin, but this pretty little semi-project came up FS the other night locally and had to jump on it.

Pic was taken when I first powered it on at home, but since then I've changed all rubbers to Titans, all lights to Comets, did a full topside teardown, and some minor cabinet work.

Was very afraid when I heard the lady say she got it for the kids and it's sat for 9 years unplayed. Thank the lord for remote battery holders and the person who had the foresight to install one on this game.

IMG_3736 (resized).JPGIMG_3736 (resized).JPG

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Had no intention on buying another pin, but this pretty little semi-project came up FS the other night locally and had to jump on it.
Pic was taken when I first powered it on at home, but since then I've changed all rubbers to Titans, all lights to Comets, did a full topside teardown, and some minor cabinet work.
Was very afraid when I heard the lady say she got it for the kids and it's sat for 9 years unplayed. Thank the lord for remote battery holders and the person who had the foresight to install one on this game.

Well lets see the Afters!!

4 weeks later
#477 5 years ago

Question for any Fire experts out there ... I am finally back in the club . Had a players condition one 2 years ago and sold it. Just picked up this excellent condition example from Woody76 out in Nashville. Nice CPR playfield too!

There are SIX of these boards under the playfield.
See the picture, look at the top and bottom resistors
EVERY board has the outside (or top/bottom depending on orientation) 330ohm resistors terminals cut (they were like this when Woody76 bought it too)

Game seems to work 100% so ... what do these do?

ThxIMG_1086 (resized).JPGIMG_1086 (resized).JPG

#478 5 years ago

I am not 100% sure about this, but my guess is that those boards were modified so that the game works with LED flashers.

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I am not 100% sure about this, but my guess is that those boards were modified so that the game works with LED flashers.

Thank you sir. That was the only guess I had as well and the entire game IS setup with LED flashers ...

#480 5 years ago

Well, here I am, late to the party, as usual. It appears the boat has already left on getting a set of Toyotaboy’s bridge supports. His last, and final run of them have been spoken for. Does anyone have an extra set, by chance? This will go on a Fire that will become a family heirloom.

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Question for any Fire experts out there ... I am finally back in the club . Had a players condition one 2 years ago and sold it. Just picked up this excellent condition example from Woody76 out in Nashville. Nice CPR playfield too!

Thought I would post some pics of this beautiful machine!

I purposefully bought a Fire translight to TPF and had Barry sign it - even though I no longer owned the game
Little did I know that I would buy one again in about a month!

IMG_1092 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1092 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1101 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1107 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1107 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1105 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1105 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1097 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1097 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1095 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1095 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1109 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1109 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1114 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1114 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1117 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_1118 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (2) (resized).JPG

#482 5 years ago

Whoa! That is nice!

Love to find the original fire nozzle flipper bats for mine.

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Whoa! That is nice!

those were included in the CPR plastic set

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Whoa! That is nice!

EBay has a set for 10 bucks.

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

those were included in the CPR plastic set

Never had to replace any plastics on mine. All are original and perfect. Just missing that part

#486 5 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

Well, here I am, late to the party, as usual. It appears the boat has already left on getting a set of Toyotaboy’s bridge supports. His last, and final run of them have been spoken for. Does anyone have an extra set, by chance? This will go on a Fire that will become a family heirloom.

I made a set in stainless. I have an extra set. You will have to wait for me to get back to the US. Remind me in 4 weeks.

#487 5 years ago

Longish post - hoping to help some others:

PART 1: Building repairs

I'm trying to save a "beater set" of buildings so my best set can be my backup so ... I decided to use Toyotaboys wonderful braces (engineering marvel) and then add some pieces of PETG that I have leftover from constructing playfield protectors. First, the Toyotaboy braces are just unbelieveable. They really work well and the right side of my building set has the clear section broken clean off - the braces make it so strong, you would never know! The crack, however will not be ignored by the ball and was getting stuck so ... on to the PETG

I needed the PETG on top because the buildings I am using have some warping/cracking that was causing the ball to settle at the crack or in the dip of a warp.

The PETG sit right on top of the entire flat clear section of the original ramp - right in the fencing area. It sits over the metal braces and over the screws that hold them on after you install the Toyotaboy brace underneath. In other words, the ball has nothing to hit at all underneath on it's way to the lock hole.

The left PETG is held down by a hole I put in it using one of the existing building mounts and acorn nuts. The right one I used a couple of small dots of E6000 removal adhesive and then blue taped it until dry.

Both work well and I can play without worry of destroying a good set of buildings. I've included my templates as they may be useful to someone. There are some measurements on the templates to ensure that when you print they are to scale

-----

PART 2: Ladder height adjustment

I noticed that on this Fire (I've owned 2) it was more difficult to get the ball into the center building than my other. I took a close look at the spot where the top of the "ladder" nearly meets the metal intake area and noticed it was lower than the metal by about 3/16th or so. It was banging up the metal edge and doing super bad things to the balls that were, in turn, conspiring to do damage to my nearly new CPR silver play field!

I pulled the entire mech apart and can offer some observations.

First, the metal assembly (the chute) that accepts the ball can be adjusted slight downward by loosening 4 screws (2 each side). I then tilted it downward and used some blue Loctite on the screws - that "tilt" gained me maybe just under 1/16th inch.

Next and probably the biggest issue was the switch adjustment. I looked everywhere and could not find general instructions (on Pinside or anywhere for that matter) on how to adjust the ladder height - so here it what I did and found.

See in the picture the before pic shows the blade of the switch not quite at the tip of the rotating cam. I simply bent the switch "back toward me" thus allowing the cam to rotate even more BEFORE it closed the switch and effectively stopped the motor. You will notice that the cam rotates in one direction and you can move it by hand to then feel/hear when that switch closes. Mine was closing just a tiny bit too soon. Once you know which switch is telling the game to do what, it gets easier to diagnose and correct it. The ramp now raises about 1/32nd of an inch above the metal feed/chute and works like a champ!

-----

PART 3: A clean bell

Simple before and after pics of bell after using my drill with a TC buffer pad and some Brasso. I'm pretty sure that this bell had some sort of coating on it to protect the (once shiny) finish. It was a pain to polish it and it should have been easy.

PETG PICS
IMG_1173 (resized).JPGIMG_1173 (resized).JPG
IMG_1174 (resized).JPGIMG_1174 (resized).JPG
IMG_1175 (resized).JPGIMG_1175 (resized).JPG
Fire_PETG_templates (resized).jpgFire_PETG_templates (resized).jpg

LADDER ADJUST PICS

IMG_1122_LI (resized).jpgIMG_1122_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_1181_LI (resized).jpgIMG_1181_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_1179_LI (resized).jpgIMG_1179_LI (resized).jpg

BELL PICS

IMG_1177 (resized).JPGIMG_1177 (resized).JPG
IMG_1178 (resized).JPGIMG_1178 (resized).JPG

JUST A PIC

IMG_1182 (resized).JPGIMG_1182 (resized).JPG

#488 5 years ago

Anyone know why Williams specified the tapered post bumpers in this game? Or any game for that matter. Does it help with air balls? Is it just for appearance?

I’ve added red sleeves to mine but wondering what the purpose of these was ...

A0930709-D577-4214-BAE3-5512D346ABBA (resized).jpegA0930709-D577-4214-BAE3-5512D346ABBA (resized).jpeg

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Anyone know why Williams specified the tapered post bumpers in this game? Or any game for that matter. Does it help with air balls? Is it just for appearance?

Mushroom bumper to help the mama/baby ramp so you dont damage the balls hitting sides of ramps as ball goes up them.

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Longish post - hoping to help some others

Great tips, thanks for posting to help others.

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Yes, they stop air balls. I have red ones in mine and they look and work great. They also tighten that shot up a bit and make it a little more challenging.

#492 5 years ago

Couple comments. First thx for the replies guys. That makes sense. Now I need to order the correct ones! I see Titan makes them in various colors. Lonzo, did you get your red ones from them?

Also does the spec call for 4 total?

#493 5 years ago

Would someone take a picture of your left sling switches? Each individual switch please.

I'm getting credit Dot showing left sling switch .... when I go into switch edge test, neither switch responds.

The switch for the lever arm does show active but (I'm guessing) that the arm won't activate because switches are not working

I tested voltage at both switches and get 4.9 volts, coil is getting 40 volts
Right sling is operational and all voltages are same

Is wiring incorrect, missing diode, resistor?

Below are pics of my wiring
First pic is switch closest to top of playfield
Second pic is switch closest to player

IMG_1198 (resized).JPGIMG_1198 (resized).JPG

IMG_1199 (resized).JPGIMG_1199 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#494 5 years ago

I dont know when. But awhile back soneone posted a pic of 2 small wires.
I was shopping one Monday and saw were they go. I always forget until you get center house off.
They go into clear ramp as a gaurd to stop ball from getting stuck. Hidden behind center house front walls.

20180603_094738 (resized).jpg20180603_094738 (resized).jpg20180603_094741 (resized).jpg20180603_094741 (resized).jpg20180603_094745 (resized).jpg20180603_094745 (resized).jpg
3 months later
#495 5 years ago

My game plays fine most of the time but every once in a while both flippers will stop working mid game.the first time I checked the flipper buttons,switches,solders.....and found a loose solder and took care of that and it worked fine when I turned it back on.the next time it happened I opened the back box made sure everything was snug turned it back on and it worked fine.well neither of those were my problem as it continues to do it after playing a decent amount of games (12 or more) and after turning off for 5-10 minutes will operate fine again.anyone run across this problem?

Everything else works fine when flippers are out verified with the glass off.

1 month later
#496 5 years ago

Picked up a Fire! Today. It needs some love, but should be a fun project. Looking for some parts, figure I would ask mt new fellow owners for some leads. Need a translite and a set of Playfield decals. Would love to find anyone with Playfield vector art and add a cabinet redo. May consider a full Playfield swap.

I’ve heard that Stu at CPR may have done the vector cab art for his own project, but dont have a contact for him.

Any leads would be great, thanks.

#497 5 years ago

I have a set of Fire CPR plastics, New in Bag, unopened. This is the repro set from 2-3 years ago. Pm me if interested. Includes the topper set in bag.

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from dfester007:

Picked up a Fire! Today. It needs some love, but should be a fun project. Looking for some parts, figure I would ask mt new fellow owners for some leads. Need a translite and a set of Playfield decals. Would love to find anyone with Playfield vector art and add a cabinet redo. May consider a full Playfield swap.
I’ve heard that Stu at CPR may have done the vector cab art for his own project, but dont have a contact for him.

Ive never seen playfield decals for Fire! Maybe there is a complete playfield overlay, check ebay.

#499 5 years ago
Quoted from dfester007:

do you have no translite? i have an original you can have if you pay shipping, can send photos later today

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

do you have no translite? i have an original you can have if you pay shipping, can send photos later today

That would be amazing. Let's just say. Mine has a rather large number of holes in it. Like actual holes through it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 1,044 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fire-club/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.