4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EEDF7191-4227-4422-BEFA-848AB15FED73 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hi All, having some issues getting a firepower up and running properly had a dead mpu and driver board I have been repairing. At the moment I have the mpu running properly and can get the game into attract mode no problem I have removed all scan b sockets from both the mpu and driver boards and I have replaced the 40 pin connector and also replace the tip42’s with the newer irf’s and put jumpers where the old resistors went on the driver board. So my issue I’m having is my solenoids 1-8 fire and hold on startup and blow the solenoid fuse. I have replaced the solenoid pia and the corresponding 7408’s to these solenoids and still no change. I even pulled the solenoid pia and started the game again and they still fire and from my understanding (which is limited) that they shouldn’t fire with the pia removed. The only way the solenoids don’t fire on start up is to remove the 2j11 connector. I have done a ton of troubleshooting and a bit of shotgun fixing trying to solve this problem with zero luck any advice would be a huge help!!

EEDF7191-4227-4422-BEFA-848AB15FED73 (resized).jpegEEDF7191-4227-4422-BEFA-848AB15FED73 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

The whole right side of the board looks discoloured. Is that battery corrosion?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from DGMartin:

The whole right side of the board looks discoloured. Is that battery corrosion?

I think it’s a combo of dirt and lighting no acid damage.

#5 4 years ago

Is it the special solenoids that lock or the regular solenoids?

Do you have a logic probe? I would start by checking the inputs outputs to the solenoid gates to make sure they are behaving as expected.

#6 4 years ago

It’s the regular solenoids and I do have a logic probe I’m just not 100% what I’m looking for.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Willillist:

It’s the regular solenoids and I do have a logic probe I’m just not 100% what I’m looking for.

Start by probing the PIA pins that lead to the solenoids. They should be low when the solenoid is off and hi when they are on. If all those pins are HI, the PIA is telling the solenoids to fire and you need to look at the PIA or upstream to the PIA. If they are all low, you have a REALLY weird situation going on and you can focus downstream from the PIA.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the info I will probe it today and post the results

#9 4 years ago

Ok so after probing the solenoid pia and seeing low on the outputs I moved onto the first 7408 which I changed out already and noticed one of my pins did not have a low signal at pin 8 like it should I replaced with another 7408 and boom we are in business!! Thanks for the help much appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-fierpower-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.