(Topic ID: 189516)

FIRST GAME BOUGHT! Help a newbie out! Ferris Wheel Won't Turn, outta ideas!

By GorfFan

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by swillie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0144 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have a Hurricane Pin and the blue wheel only on Ferris Wheel won’t turn. It may turn for a couple inches, and then stops, or turn halfway around the circle.

I’ve done in these steps;

Cleaned all residue off of both ferris wheel grooves
Cut thin grooves in the wheel channel with tip of sharp knife (i could cut them deeper),
Cleaned the new OEM band after cleaning grooves
Put sauder iron in blue wheel groove to put small divets all around the wheel for better traction
Tried OEM band and slowly tightened over 4 steps to maximum tension after all these steps

It only turns part way, and of course won’t turn at all with a ball in it.

UPDATE: It’s not binding on anything. I took apart the entire play field and took off the red ferris wheel and there was a lot of plastic residue on the shaft and inside the ferris wheel hole. I cleaned it all off and did not put on the washer, due to the wheel was rubbing on the opto sensor. Once I tried it again it now turns and catches the ball 3-5 times perfectly, and then stops turning, while the blue wheels always works perfectly. I will tighten the band a little and it will work once I push the wheel to start, but will stop working again after a few rotations and catching the ball and moving the ball to the blue wheel. I will tighten the band again and the same results. The wheel as far as I can tell is not binding on anything.

Idea’s I have:

1) Putting two sided tape on where the ring goes and adding ping0pong paddel rubber to the tape.
2) Putting rubber cemment on groove where ring goes
3) How would I tackify the ring, and would this mees up the other wheels that pull the ring?

What I’m not confident I can do, is replace the gear that turns this shaft. This is my first used pin and I’ve owned it two weeks, but I may have to do this.

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

Not sure if this will help as it seems you have cleaned everything and adjusted the belt...

At one point my red wheel was hanging up like you describe... I determined that the C type lock washer on the outside of the wheel was causing friction, so I put a thin smooth washer between it and the wheel and it has never failed since. Just something to try...

IMG_0144 (resized).JPGIMG_0144 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ferris-wheel-wont-turn-outta-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.