By GPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello All,

Considering acquiring this pin. Is there anything that I need to be on the watch for? What is parts availability like if I need them. Any thoughts here would be most appreciated.

Thank you

George...

#2 10 years ago

SORRY, MEANT F-14

gEORGE...

#3 10 years ago

Hey George, I think the V-shaped inserts tend to get a lot of wear around them, and I think I may have heard they may be prone to cracking moreso than most inserts with too much heat under them. Good luck with the game!

#4 10 years ago

You will have more luck finding an F-14 Tomcat. There are a great game for there age. Most parts that wear out are available online. Watch for battery acid damage on the main board, make sure all solenoids and flashers are working and check the displays in the test mode. Listen for all the sounds when you play it. Good luck with with your purchase.

#5 10 years ago

Hey Grumpy,

Can you advise how to place the machine in test mode?

Thank you all,

G

#6 10 years ago

Im not sure if there is a you tube video on this you should look and see. Anyway you open the coin door and there is a set of three switches. Off the top of my head I think the middle switch is the one that can lock in the down position.
Lock that one down then press the left one once then unlock the middle one, then press the left one to advance to each test. Or something like that. If my wife wasn't yelling at me to get ready for thanks giving at my mother in laws house I would go to my machine and check for sure. I will have to check later today. Sorry.

#7 10 years ago

To add to what Collin said, not just wear but the Inserts (which there are many) pop up and out, so being comfortable with leveling inserts is a must for this game. Its how I learned, as the game I bought, almost half the inserts where starting to rise making the game unplayable till I fixed it.

#8 10 years ago

I made it back from the mother in laws and haven't died yet. Anyway to do testing on system 11 machines you turn it on and open the coin door, lock the middle bottom down. Press the right button (advance button) once, then unlock the middle button and your in scrolling display test. If you lock the middle button down it will stop scrolling. If you press the right button if will advance to the next test (solenoid, lamps ,sound). By doing each test you can tell if any part of the game is not working. It might seem confusing at first but after a few minutes it become second nature.

#9 10 years ago

Here is a link to the manual, it explains how to access the test mode, how to run them, and what each of them do. It will be a good idea to print out that section or become familiar with it before you go.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Full_Manual.pdf

Common issues include:
Raised inserts
worn playfield
light beacons on top that are missing (expensive to replace) or not rotating (cheap part easy to replace)
Take the glass off and start a game. make sure all of the switches work and all the locks work. Start a multiball, see if the game resets during multiball, it can be a common problem.

None of the issues above should prevent you from buying one, but if they arise you can use them to lower the price.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks so much to all who contributed here. Really would like to have one of these but do not want to get hosed as I have in the past.

Thanks again!!

G

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I think the V-shaped inserts tend to get a lot of wear around them

They lift as well.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Watch for battery acid damage on the main board, make sure all solenoids and flashers are working and check the displays in the test mode. Listen for all the sounds when you play it.

This ^

Quoted from practicalsteve:

light beacons on top that are missing (expensive to replace) or not rotating

Common problem, also the white beacon tends to have yellowed on most over time.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

Take the glass off and start a game. make sure all of the switches work and all the locks work. Start a multiball, see if the game resets during multiball, it can be a common problem.

Excellent advice for any pin purchase!

Also a common wear spot is under the spinner.

All in all a great fast paced game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-15-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.