3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TomcatPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    66CC6C92-1651-4DF9-A461-80B31C10CAF0 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I finally have bought my first Pin, a F-14 Tomcat. Have had it for a couple months now but noticing some inconsistencies. When I turn it on, sometimes I just get the dreaded constant beep, sometimes I have no sound until I drain the first ball and the second is served up, and I can’t get the game to hold any default high scores when I adjust settings. More importantly I started to get a U25 FAILURE message. I did a lot of reading and switched out the batteries and the error message has seemed to resolve, but I will still get my beep from time to time and default high scores won’t come up when I adjust them.

The owner before me did remove the battery pack off the board and add a remote battery pack...BUT it is only a 2 AA battery pack, should it not be a 3 AA battery pack? It originally had 3 AA’s on the board so I’m hoping getting the proper volts to the board will rectify some of my problems. I just don’t want to add an extra battery and screw up my board without some reassurances, again I’m new to this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! PS. I’m not skilled enough to add a NVRAM chip or a Button Cell. I’m just going to move the battery pack into the lower box away from all electrical boards for now. Thanks.

66CC6C92-1651-4DF9-A461-80B31C10CAF0 (resized).jpeg66CC6C92-1651-4DF9-A461-80B31C10CAF0 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomcatPin:

I finally have bought my first Pin, a F-14 Tomcat.

You'll get more relevant answers if you post in the SS forum.

#3 3 years ago

You need 3 batteries. Right now you are almost better off clipping all that out of there and turning it on twice, fast off and on the second time, to resolve until you get the right stuff in there. You'll just need to add coins and sadly your high scores wont be kept.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomcatPin:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! PS. I’m not skilled enough to add a NVRAM chip or a Button Cell. I’m just going to move the battery pack into the lower box away from all electrical boards for now. Thanks.

Can you solder? You will need a triple AA battery holder and some red/black wire. Three Lithium AA batteries and some heat shrink for the connections.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #5 3 years ago

Yup, I have no problem soldering. I was going to add a 2 pin connector at the board and run the line all the way into the lower body of the pin to get it away from the upper electrical boards. The connector will allow the board to be removed without taking out the battery pack. Thanks for the input, gives me the confidence to change it up and I won’t kill the game. One more thing, what gauge wire should I use when attaching the new battery holder? Thanks again!

#6 3 years ago

If you get some smaller 16-24 gauge speaker wire, it will work fine and be color coded for the positive and negative.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks Grumpy, I appreciate your time. Supplies ordered, I’m looking forward to the fix.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-14-tomcat-remote-battery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.