(Topic ID: 214479)

Williams F-14 Tomcat center ball gate/eject confusion...

By nephos

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by nephos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180411_202122 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180411_173519604 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but, I have a Williams F-14 Tomcat (first machine) and am confused by the ball gates on the middle of the playfield.

The wire gate on the right eject pocket got stuck and broke while I tried to adjust it. The red arrow shows the corner of the eject pocket where the gate arm got stuck in the up position. After many years of friction, it appears worn and a bit shiny on the back corner.

I then noticed that the left eject pocket has a tab (on its left side) to stop the gate arm once fully opened. The right eject pocket has a tab as well (blue arrow) but, just like the left pocket, it's on the left side. My gate arm was on the right side. Hence my confusion...

...Shouldn't the right eject pocket have its tab on the right to stop the gate arm? I don't think the gate arm can be on the left since it would be a tight fit between the eject pocket and the bumper.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Tried to find closeup pics online but there weren't many that clearly showed the center ejects and their wire gates.

IMG_20180411_173519604 (resized).jpgIMG_20180411_173519604 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

That's what mine looks like too.

#3 6 years ago

There are 2 different wires though, one for left and one for right. I had to order new wires for the gates as someone fabbed one up for mine out of a paper binder clip!

#4 6 years ago

See if this helps.

20180411_202122 (resized).jpg20180411_202122 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Thank you @ronss.
I guess they used the same eject pocket on both sides (possibly due to cost reduction measures) and since the gate arm can't fit on between the bumper and the right pocket, they just redid the gate (which I'm sure was cheaper to produce). I see yours is also a bit shiny from years of friction where the arm hits. Has it ever gotten stuck in the up position?

I've just ordered a replacement and if it too get's stuck, maybe I'll have to round off that back corner and hope the weight of the wire gate will be sufficient to always pull it back down.

If anyone else has had this issue and has a good fix for it, please let me know.

#6 6 years ago

I actually bent my loop a little to help it not get stuck

#7 6 years ago

Thanks. Bending the loop is what broke the original but maybe it was just too old and brittle.
I ordered two replacements just in case I need to bend it and end up breaking it again. The replacement arrived yesterday and it seems to not be getting stuck so I think we're all good now. Back to fighting Yagov I go!
Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-14-tomcat-center-ball-gateeject-confusion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.