• Latest reply 9 years ago by beini
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 5.20.22 pm.png
#1 9 years ago

I was just wondering if there is a adjustment on the transformers from 110v to 230v?

I have a williams Grand prix pinball machine i am going to restore soon and apparently it was never changed to fit to eu plug and 230v.

#2 9 years ago

There should be different lugs with different voltages on the transformer, not sure about 230 V but could be 220 and 240.
Solder the lug on 240 then, measure the outcoming voltage on 24 V, if it's to low solder the 24 V line on the high tap.

#3 9 years ago

Great thank you

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from beini:

Great thank you

not great sorry. hes wrong.

the williams EM's have different transformers and motors for 110v 60hz and 230v 50hz

evidence ( example stardust)
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html#/138/zoomed

#5 9 years ago

Looking at the place of origin: Reykjavik I assumed that it would be a 50 Hz.
That is the standard as I learned on Google, so if it isn't a imported machine from the U.S. it's likely to be a 15B-6773 transformer which can be set on:

105 V
117 V
130 V
160 V
205 V
225 V
240 V

Advised on 220 V is the 225 V lug.

#6 9 years ago

interesting but still wrong.
as he says its a 110v machine.
it will be a 15a-6771 and he needs to buy a 15a-6782-1

the schematic agrees
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1072/Williams_1976_Grand_Prix_Schematic_Diagram_paginated_includes_correction_to_L_R_Kickers.pdf

the parts manual agrees. (they forgot to add grand prix it seems but it agrees for every other machine around that time)

#7 9 years ago

here you go.. they didnt forgot to add grand prix, its just not on the pps website version.

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 5.20.22 pm.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-22 at 5.20.22 pm.png

#8 9 years ago

Well explained, I'll keep out of this thread.
Wouldn't like to give the wrong information or advise

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

Well explained, I'll keep out of this thread.
Wouldn't like to give the wrong information or advise

no please stay .. we are all friends .. stay, learn, help, play .. have another beer

#10 9 years ago

Thank you pinsiders, you learn something new every day.

#11 9 years ago

Can't you get an external transformer that will reduce your line voltage to 110V? The frequency is another issue; the motor will run slower at 50hz, but the game will still work. I've had games here in the US that were imported from Europe with a 50hz motor in them. The motor runs faster here with 60hz, and sometimes the score reels can't keep up when counting 50 or 500 points, but otherwise the game works.

1 week later
#12 9 years ago

I can do that. I do own one for big deal 1977. Should work for grand prix. I am looking into that. I havent seen any different regarding score reels and motors being slower.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-transformers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.