Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
score motor (resized).JPG
Run switch (resized).JPG
rotor_engaged2 (resized).jpg
rotor_not_engaged2 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I'm working on a Williams Triple Action that I just got and needs lots of work. My first major issue is getting it to start up. Couple issues here I could use some thoughts on.

1. when I push the start button nothing happens (it does light when the flipper is pushed). If I manually move the score motor cogs a few times, it will start moving. At that point the start button seems to work and things start going. Any idea what needs to happen for the score motor to work when the start button is first pushed? I imagine there is a something misaligned that touches when I manually move it.

2. when the reset sequence starts, two switches get stuck pulsing: the score reset and the reset on the spinner step unit. They just pulse over and over again while the score motor continues to spin. The score reels are setting to zero, so I don't think it's them. And the fingers on the spinner step unit seem to be at the reset position to me, so I'm not sure why it's not moving past this point.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

#2 3 years ago

I would start by cleaning all the stepper units, including the score reels, and score reel switches, then make sure they are adjusted correctly. Also, you need a ball in the outhole for the game to start.

#3 3 years ago

For your first problem, it could be that the score motor isn't stopping in what's called the home position. The cam closest to the motor (the index cam) has 2 notches in it, 180 degrees apart, and when all the cams come to rest after the score motor moves, the follower on that stack of switches should be in one of the notches. There is a make/break switch on the index stack (in the "D" position - the wires are yellow and blue-white) that has to be closed for the replay button to do anything, and that switch is only closed when the follower is in the notch (home position).

If the score motor is over-rotating or not rotating far enough, you'll have to figure out why. There is a spring-loaded gear that gets pushed between the motor itself and all the cams and drives them. It's possible that the movement of that gear is sluggish and it stays in place too long, causing the motor to over-rotate past the home position...could be something like that. You can clean the moving parts of that gear with mineral spirits and see if that helps that first problem.d

For that second problem, as JethroP says, go through all the steppers and score motors and clean them - make sure they're moving easily and smoothly - that'll save you tons of time troubleshooting in the long run. Good luck.

#4 3 years ago

Hi,

I am also working on my first non working (to start) EM as well. They are really cool projects. My big lessons learned so far:

1) search the Internet for your problems. A lot of great ideas there
2) if you do not have, get a schematic. Worth it and once you get the hang on the info they contain, gets you through the problems. Again, tutorials on how to read on the internet/YouTube
3) Do not start "winging" it! methodically go through the machine , step by step to get electricity from point A to point B. If you make an adjustment and it does not work, Put it back before going to the next step! Otherwise you will be back tracking later to put back your adjustments (big lesson here!).Again, good trouble shooting techniques on you tube.
4) Get a switch leaf adjuster tool. Learn how to adjust switches. Tips are on line
5) Exercise switches, steppers, etc. gently by hand, before you adjust contacts. Gently clean metal to metal contacts if you think they are dirty. They are designed to be self cleaning. Lots of good on line info on line. No WD40! Read about this on line before you even think of putting on lubricants to "grease" stuff up
6) Use common sense on what is supposed to happen. Just thinking about how the logic should work helps one understand. So the start up sequence when you push the start button , scoring reels reset, ball counter goes to ball 1 for counter or ball 5 to count down, bonus steppers reset, ball goes from outhole to shooting lane, etc. Solve one step at a time
Lastly, the biggest lesson: this will take some time. The game could have been sitting for years, mechanical stuff sticks, others may have tried to make adjustments, etc. Start at the beginning: Pushing the start button and go from there. It can get frustrating. The best thing to do is take breaks when stuck. It is amazing how after a break, the right path pops up in your mind, search the internet and have some fun. I can say the first time you get through a complete game it is very rewarding.
I apologize in advance if , I have listed something wrong here. The really good Pinside EM mechanics will correct me and I will learn something new (again) .
Good luck

#5 3 years ago

Thanks for all the thoughts. It definitely looks like I have two separate issues going on here. I'm trying to attack the score motor first hoping for a miracle that it helps with the other. I have cleaned the step units and score reels (although I'm not against trying again), but I figure if I can't get it to start at all, those are less important in the beginning.

It indeed looks like the score motor cams are over-rotating just a little so that first stack is up and not down in the notch. I pulled the motor apart and cleaned the gears best I could, plus the cogs and riders themselves. Everything seems to be moving just fine, but still setting it's "home" position just a little past the notch. Another thing I noticed watching the cogs spin over and over, is that the top arms of all the switch stacks seem to be up just a little. I didn't see any of them move when the stack moved up. Could it be that all of those aren't making connections and affecting something? I hesitate to bend them all down just yet.

What else could cause this little over-rotation? I've searched online but must not be using the correct key words because I really can't find what I'm looking for.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Hi,
I am also working on my first non working (to start) EM as well. They are really cool projects. My big lessons learned so far:

Thanks so much for the thoughts. It's really fun so far. Frustrating too.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

For your first problem, it could be that the score motor isn't stopping in what's called the home position.

Yes, this is exactly it. I can't seem how to get this resolved, however. Online searches don't seem to come up with much.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

Yes, this is exactly it. I can't seem how to get this resolved, however. Online searches don't seem to come up with much.

When that switch opens power is cut. Loosen the switch stack and see if there is any movement forward so it drops earlier. Clean the switch and adjust it close. You only need a microsecond to make a difference.

#9 3 years ago

Were you able to identify the moving gear on the score motor that actually engages the rest of the mechanism with the spinning motor? I don't have any Williams games here to look at, but I think it's a spring-activated movement.

For those top switches that look raised - I'm sure you know this, but every switch should have two states, open and closed, and should switch visibly between the two as the follower either drops into a notch or gets raised by teeth on the other type of cam. So just look closely at all the switches on the stack and as you rotate the cams by hand, watch to see if the contacts between the leafs are making contact (hopefully sliding against each other a tiny bit as they close), and then opening again so that you can see space between the contacts. If that's not happening to any of the switches, that'll be the source of a problem.

Also, if you wind up bending switch leafs, always bend them from the base - not near the contact ends. Sorry if you already know all that.

#10 3 years ago

got an instruction manual for this game if your interested .

#11 3 years ago

So, I feel pretty stuck. I'm focusing on getting the start button to start the motor right now. Here is the current situation, when the motor is spinning, I have to switch off the power and it stops wherever (not in the home position of the index cam as paulace mentioned above). When I power up again, the lights come on from the left flipper, but the start button does nothing. The motor does not move the index to home. If I manually spin it to home, the outhole relay pulses and moves the motor about a quarter inch past home and stops. Any idea why the outhole relay pulses the motor just past home? Any clue why the motor won't move to home on it's own?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

Were you able to identify the moving gear on the score motor that actually engages the rest of the mechanism with the spinning motor?

I'm with paulace on this one. The moving gear he's talking about is the rotor. It is at the start of the gear train, and it looks like a small round barrel made of solid metal. It slides up and down on a thin axle shaft. The rotor has clutch pins that engage with the gear train.

When the motor is off, a spring on the thin axle shaft pushes the rotor away from the gear train. When power is applied to the motor, the rotor is drawn up into the motor frame (like a solenoid plunger) and that makes it engage the gear train. The rotor also spins, which is what makes the motor turn.

When the power to the motor is shut off, the spring on the thin axle shaft is supposed to push the rotor away from the gear train. This allows the gear train to stop immediately even though the rotor continues to spin, coasting to a stop. If the rotor doesn't disconnect from the gear train, then as the rotor coasts to a stop it will continue to drive the gear train forward. That will move your cams out of the home position enough to cause trouble.

When the thin axle shaft gets gummed up, that can prevent the rotor from disconnecting from the gear train. You can clean the thin axle shaft with some alcohol on a Q-tip, and then apply a drop or two of light oil to the axle shaft. Work the rotor up and down on the shaft to confirm it is sliding smoothly.

- TimMe

#13 3 years ago

Here's a couple of pics of the rotor. In the first pic, the rotor is not engaged. In the second pic, the rotor is engaged.

rotor not engagedrotor not engaged

rotor engagedrotor engaged

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

When I power up again, the lights come on from the left flipper, but the start button does nothing. The motor does not move the index to home. Any clue why the motor won't move to home on it's own?

On the switch stack of the cam closest to the motor (the index cam), there is a switch known as the runout switch. This switch is pushed closed whenever the motor is not at the home position. When this switch is closed, it causes the motor to run. The runout switch is often either the bottom switch (closest to the cam) or the top switch (farthest away from the cam).

The runout switch is there to guarantee that the motor will NEVER be able to stop in any non-home position. Since your motor is doing that, you need to check that your runout switch is clean and is adjusted to make good solid contact whenever the index cam is not in the home position.

You need to get your score motor to reliably return to the home position before doing anything else. It's very difficult to troubleshoot any other problem if your score motor isn't landing solidly at home.

- TimMe

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for posting those photos, TimMe - I didn't have any Williams score motors around to photograph.

#16 3 years ago

In your case, the switch TimMe mentioned is at the top of the stack on the index cam. If the motor is in home position (as drawn), that switch should be open - anywhere else, that switch will be closed:

Run switch (resized).JPGRun switch (resized).JPG

On the schematic (which is drawn with the score motor in home position), you can see that if that normally-open switch were to close, the motor would run. And if the follower isn't in the notch on that index cam (that is, the motor is NOT in home position), that switch should be closed and the motor should run - if the switches are operating correctly:

score motor (resized).JPGscore motor (resized).JPG

I'd still take a close look at that rotor....make sure it's clean and moving smoothly.

#17 3 years ago

paulace and TimMe - Thank you guys so much for the help. I feel like I've made more progress tonight than in awhile.

Thanks for the pictures, I never would have noticed there was a spring there without them. I cleaned it up some and gave it some 3 in 1. Honestly I don't think it was an issue as it was already moving pretty nicely, but a little cleaning didn't hurt.

Looks like the top of the stack was bent a little up and not touching when it should. I've worked on it and now the motor runs when powered. I know, feels like more progress than it probably is. However, I still think something is going on with the outhole relay. the motor is running and not stopping at home. I think it wants to, but the outhole relay pulses to move it a little forward and it keeps running round. I've attached a little youtube video.

any ideas?

#18 3 years ago

The outhole relay should not be releasing immediately like that. Once the outhole relay pulls in, it should lock itself on (and yes, the motor should run) until the top switch on score motor cam 5 opens.

First, check the reset relay. Is it pulsing closed every time the score motor cam hits the home position? That would make the outhole relay release immedately. If that is what is happening, you'll need to figure out why the reset relay keeps cycling.

If the reset relay is not pulling in, you'll want to get the lock-in circuit for the outhole relay working properly. Clean and adjust the N.O. switch on the outhole relay that is closest to the relay frame - it's the switch with the white wire attached directly to the relay coil. Also, clean and adjust the top switch on cam 5. That switch should be normally closed when the motor is running, and just drop open briefly when the detent in cam 5 goes by the switch stack.

- TimMe

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

The outhole relay should not be releasing immediately like that. Once the outhole relay pulls in, it should lock itself on (and yes, the motor should run) until the top switch on score motor cam 5 opens.
First, check the reset relay. Is it pulsing closed every time the score motor cam hits the home position? That would make the outhole relay release immedately. If that is what is happening, you'll need to figure out why the reset relay keeps cycling.
If the reset relay is not pulling in, you'll want to get the lock-in circuit for the outhole relay working properly. Clean and adjust the N.O. switch on the outhole relay that is closest to the relay frame - it's the switch with the white wire attached directly to the relay coil. Also, clean and adjust the top switch on cam 5. That switch should be normally closed when the motor is running, and just drop open briefly when the detent in cam 5 goes by the switch stack.
- TimMe

Thanks, TimMe. I think I'm messing around a little too much without the right tools. I've ordered a switch adjuster and will keep on this project when it arrives. I think several of the switches on the motor are actually out of whack and that may be a lot of my issues.

1 week later
#20 3 years ago

I feel like some progress has been made and I'm getting close, but not entirely sure. At this point, I have the motor fixed where it stops at home by itself like it should. However, I'm still stuck so I will try to explain what is currently happening:

-The lights power and the motor moves to home. If I manually move the motor a little, it rotates around and stops at home again - so good shape there. Note no ball is present at this time.
-The start button doesn't do anything. There are credits on the machine and the credit light on the apron is lit, so I think I'm good there.
-When a ball is placed on the machine, the motor runs, the outhole relay pulses, the bonus relay pulses, and both the bonus stepper and the spinner stepper pulse. The ball is not kicked to the lane. It continues like this until I remove the ball. With the ball out, it all continues a few more times then stops. Nothing on the playfield powers, so a game isn't starting.

So what I can tell it seems to be trying to reset everything and start a game when the ball is placed rather than the start button, but it can't get everything reset. I've cleaned those steppers and think everything there is making good contact. The score reels move to zero as they should also.

In the video I've attached, I show the motor stopping without a ball, then I simulate a ball and show the motor running, outhole relay pulsing, and both the steppers pulsing. I didn't show the bonus relay pulsing, but it is also.

I'm not good with schematics so really struggling to figure out the problem. I'm hoping there is something obvious that I'm missing and someone might have an idea. Thanks so much and happy new year.

#21 3 years ago

It's amazing what difference a day can make sometimes. I've done a lot of poking around and think I have most of this figured out. The start button is now getting things moving, and it seems most everything is resetting and starting a game like it should. While the start up sequence seems to be working itself out, it is taking a long time. The machine is moving up to 10 balls at start up. I've figured out that the coin relay is staying energized too long. If I manually open it during startup, I can get the machine to stop a 5 balls and be ready to go.

So, any idea what would cause the coin relay to energize too long and not cut off at the right time (after 5 balls have been added rather than 10). It keeps pulsing for longer and would add more balls if it could. I've gone over the schematics best I can, but can't figure out what is supposed to kill the coin relay at 5 balls. Any ideas? I'm happy to look anywhere. Thanks.

#22 3 years ago

Hi I'm bumping this up hoping to get some assistance. I feel like I've got the machine to about 98%. Sometimes it starts up properly with 5 balls, other times it fires to 10 balls and keeps cycling (I have to turn it off and back on). I'm sure there is something not quite adjusted right, but can't figure it out. I appreciate the help from pinside friends.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

what would cause the coin relay to energize too long and not cut off at the right time (after 5 balls have been added rather than 10)

Switch 5B on the motor is responsible for interrupting current flow to the Coin relay when starting a 5 ball game

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#24 3 years ago

Did you get this working? I’ve got the same machine and should be able to help if needed.

Dave

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from JRC6000:

I cleaned it up some and gave it some 3 in 1.

Great! Now put that 3in1 back in the garage where it belongs and never bring it near the machine again.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Great! Now put that 3in1 back in the garage where it belongs and never bring it near the machine again.

Yes, I've learned more since then and will definitely heed that warning. Luckily it was only a drop or two in one spot. Don't do it again.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

Did you get this working? I’ve got the same machine and should be able to help if needed.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I feel like I've got it about 90%, but could definitely still use help. When I start up, sometimes it resets to 5 balls, and sometimes it seems to get stuck and counts all the way up to 10 balls. When it starts at 10 balls, I can play one ball then reset the game again. It'll count all the way down, reset the score reels, and get started again. Still here, sometimes it goes to 5 and sometimes 10. I can't figure out what would make it work properly sometimes and get stuck other times and move straight to 10 balls. Any ideas?

Thanks, Justin

1 month later
#28 3 years ago

Coming back around and going to mark this as complete. Thanks to everyone who offered help.

On the last issue of the balls jumping straight to 10 sometimes, this seems to have largely worked itself out with more use. I'm chalking that up to the machine "self cleaning" with regular use.

Cheers!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-startup-issues?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.