1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by paulace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trip (resized).JPG
    20220425_180459 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

G'day Everyone. I have a query around the Williams EM start up sequence. I am restoring a Williams Big Deal 1977 and when I press the start button, the coin relay holds and spins the score motor, score reels zero, and then nothing. The Game Over relay is not latching. Looking at the schematic the logic does not make sense. Once the Coin Relay pulls in, to get power to the Game Over Relay Coil you need the NO contact on the Reset Relay Closed, but to energise the coil on the Reset Relay you need the NO contact on the Game Over Relay closed? How could this work? I've highlighted the relays in the attached schematic. Many thanks in advance.

20220425_180459 (resized).jpg20220425_180459 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

I think this is one of those examples of a latch/trip double-coil relay causing some confusion. The "Game Over" relay has 2 coils - trip and latch. When a game ends, the trip coil gets a pulse and locks the relay into 1 position - tripped (see snippet below), and when you start a game, the latch coil gets a pulse and locks the relay in the other position - latched. Schematics are generally drawn with a one-player game started, the ball kicked into the shooter lane, and then the game unplugged.

trip (resized).JPGtrip (resized).JPG

Unplugging the game won't matter in this case because the "Game Over" relay is mechanically locked into one position. Because a game has already been started, that's the latched position as drawn on the schematic - so all switches are drawn with the "Game Over" relay in the latched position.

But after a game has ended, and you are about the start a game, but haven't pressed the credit button switch yet, the "Game Over" relay is in the tripped position, which means all the game over relay switches are in the opposite state of how they are shown on the schematic. That yellow "Game Over" switch on your schematic snippet is actually closed when you press the button to start a game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-schematic-query?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.