You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
IMG_0536 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi, I've lurked the forums for a while and finally got around to making an account. I need some advice before I go spending money undeeded.

I'm currently working on restoring a 1977 Williams Wild Card and while waiting for parts, I decided to try my hand at taking the match unit apart to un-jam it. I was able to get everything apart and cleaned, but in the process the actual tab to the alternator switch broke clean off.

IMG_20170506_044222[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20170506_044222[1] (resized).jpg

I'm having troubling finding a replacement part though. The parts catalogue lists the switch as SW-1M-28S which I can't find. However I've been able to fine a similar switch for the 12 step unit. (The match is a 10 step for reference) The part is SW-1M-31S. (Can't link due to being too new. You can find it on Marcos)

So before I go spending 20 dollars (I live in Canada so shipping+exchange) I want your guys opinion. Do you think this switch will work as a substitute, or am I better off attempting to fix the old one if I can't find a replacement part?

#2 6 years ago

I keep a selection of switch blades and replacement contacts I purchase from The Pinball Resource. There are multiple holes in the blades where new contacts are soldered in and the length is trimmed to size.
I also like buying old switch units off of Ebay when its a good deal.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I keep a selection of switch blades and replacement contacts I purchase from The Pinball Resource. There are multiple holes in the blades where new contacts are soldered in and the length is trimmed to size.
I also like buying old switch units off of Ebay when its a good deal.

Some good advice there, but I peen over the back of the contact instead of soldering it in. I just wonder how reliable soldering alone is with the natural vibration in a pinball machine.

It's hard to be sure from your picture, but it looks like the the tab that the wire solders to is what broke off. If that's right, you can cut the multiple hole part off the new blade and just add the part with two large holes, like in this picture.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If that's right, you can cut the multiple hole part off the new blade and just add the part with two large holes, like in this picture.

I just tried to see if I could cannibalize a blade off a pop bumper switch I had. It actually turned out to be too big. I guess the screw holes on the actuator are smaller then normal leaf blades. I"m hesitant to contact the pinball resource again as I just placed a big order with them and I don't really want to make up a money order for a 5 dollar part. Though I guess I might have to if no one else has a better idea.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from KingofKoopas:

if no one else has a better idea.

Brass or copper strip of sheet metal from hobby shop or hardware store. Make your own. Cut, drill, snip snip.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

Such requests are normally posted here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

Sorry, no match unit switches lying around but I could probably spare a couple of relay switch leaves. PM address if interested.

IMG_0536 (resized).JPGIMG_0536 (resized).JPG

"Genuine Williams Parts"

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Such requests are normally posted here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread
Sorry, no match unit switches lying around but I could probably spare a couple of relay switch leaves. PM address if interested.

"Genuine Williams Parts"

Likewise but Gottlieb parts.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-match-alternator-switch-broke-need-advice-on-replacment-1?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.