Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm pretty much a pinball noob and was hoping someone could help with an issue I'm having with my pin not resetting properly. For the most part everything plays well but after a game is over and I hit the button for a new game, all of the scores only reset 5 places, without fail every time. So for instance, if I ended with a score of 397,132 the score would flip over to 800,687.

I've cleaned off all the steppers but I'm not really sure which one controls the reset? If anyone has a picture to point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

#2 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. Does your Reset relay relax, and Score Motor stop turning after a single 180 degree turn? Note that there are four Reset relays in this game. The Reset relay should stay active while the No.1, No. 2 and No. 3 relays should pulse on and off.

Ordinarily the Reset relay should stay active until all of the Score Reels reset to zero. Each Score Reel (all 20 of them) has its own switch that can keep the Reset relay active once it has been activated. If your Reset relay relaxes after a single 180 degree Score Motor turn it may be that there's a bad connection through a jones plug into the back box or similar common point since it's unlikely that all 20 switches are misbehaving.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Mark!

If I'm understanding the terminology correctly, I don't believe any of the relays relax or skip during the phase.

I'll start with the jones plugs again. I cleaned them all but it's possible there is a bad/broken connection. It just seems odd to me that the pluses go through at all if there is a bad spot? Is it possible that there are two points of travel? To me that would explain why 5 out of 10 go through every time...

#4 2 years ago

When a new game starts the Score Motor will turn through a mininum of 180 degrees (or 1/2 turn) to reset most game features. During that first 180 degrees the motor generates 5 pulses which get sent to each of the Score Reels to start their reset process. Many game features can reset during that first 1/2 turn but some, including any Score Reels that started with number 4 or lower need a second set of 5 pulses to get them all the way back to zero. Those Score reels close switches that should keep the Reset relay active and the Score Motor running through a 2nd 180 degree cycle, and in fact keep the motor running indefinitely until all Score Reels show zero.

The fact that all the Score Reels advance 5 steps (or to zero) just means that the 5 pulses from the first 1/2 turn got to the Score Reels. What's missing is the signal from the Score Reels back to the Reset relay and Score Motor to say that another 1/2 turn or 5 pulses are needed. If your Reset relay relaxes after just 1/2 Score Motor turn it's possible that there's something wrong in the path between the 20 score reel switches that open when each Score Reel shows zero, and the Reset relay. That's why it's important check when the Reset relay relaxes.

There is a schematic available on IPDB.org.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-grand-prix-resetting-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.