Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

super star chimes wiring (resized).jpg
super star chimes wiring2 (resized).jpg
super star chime plug (resized).jpg
CLSgT9s (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

i have a williams super star (72) that i picked up. its my first table and the former owner took it apart and didnt give me a chime unit so I bought one of the ones that are made in Germany and I’m having it shipped to me. So my question is how are the solenoid wired up and where do they plug into on the board? I know there’s a connector for the chime unit but I don’t know which pin goes in whichhole? is there a negative on there and then the positive for each one or is it vice versa there’s a positive in the negative all going to each individual terminal. I’m going to have to make up my own Jones connector to hook it all up but I need to know which pin goes to white solenoid and how they’re wired up? I looked on the schematic and it doesn’t say. I am new to reading the schematics.
As always thanks in advance!!

#2 2 years ago

The schematic shows the wire colors.

All of the coils have red on one lug, and another on the side that connects to the different point relays.

There is a wire chart in the corner of the schematic.

For instance, the large chime shows B-G-2 which is black-green. The 2 just means somewhere else uses the same wire color so this differentiates it. Match up to the same color on the Jones plug.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The schematic shows the wire colors.
All of the coils have red on one lug, and another on the side that connects to the different point relays.
There is a wire chart in the corner of the schematic.
For instance, the large chime shows B-G-2 which is black-green. The 2 just means somewhere else uses the same wire color so this differentiates it. Match up to the same color on the Jones plug.

That’s the problem I don’t have the Jones plug. The lady never gave me the chime unit, so I’m starting fresh lol

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from hoodie75:

That’s the problem I don’t have the Jones plug. The lady never gave me the chime unit, so I’m starting fresh lol

If you have the manual, usually the Jones plug pinouts are listed in it.

If the game's wiring is the same as my '75 Big Ben, I can grab some pics, as I am cleaning / rebuilding it right now.

#5 2 years ago

in a jones plug connection, the wire colors are the same on the plug and jack for each pin position.

you have the jones jack in the game, right?

there should be the following wire colors on it:

- red : goes to one lug on all three chime coils
- B-G : goes to other lug on the large chime coil
- O : goes to other lug on medium chime coil
- O-R : goes to other lug on small chime coil

big ben has a R-Y wire on the small chime coil, but other colors are the same.

#6 2 years ago

Wire colors appear mostly the same with my Big Ben, comparing the schematics. So you will need to look at your Jones Socket -

The pin with larger gauge wire(*) is the 'common' and should go to each coil.
Black-Green is the Large chime (1000 points),
Orange-Red is the Medium chime (100 points), and
Orange is the Small chime (10 points)

(*) - Your schematics says the larger gauge, feed wire, should be red. However, in my schematics for Big Ben, they say it should be black, but is in fact yellow. So, your feed wire may not match 'Red'.

Here's an image of my Chime connector, the plug, not the socket.
CLSgT9s (resized).jpgCLSgT9s (resized).jpg

Quoted from baldtwit:

the wire colors are the same on the plug and jack for each pin position

In theory.. For some reason my chime unit has Yellow on the chime side, and black (as per schematics) on the plug side. Go figure, heh. This isn't the only plae I've seen wrong colors, though, admittedly, after having just rebuilt the playfield.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

in a jones plug connection, the wire colors are the same on the plug and jack for each pin position.
you have the jones jack in the game, right?
there should be the following wire colors on it:
- red : goes to one lug on all three chime coils
- B-G : goes to other lug on the large chime coil
- O : goes to other lug on medium chime coil
- O-R : goes to other lug on small chime coil
big ben has a R-Y wire on the small chime coil, but other colors are the same.

Nope no Jones plug. The lady didn’t hanger the chime unit. I’ll check the sockets on the mech panel and see if the c C plots match up. I do know the plug is an inline one not a square configuration

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from hoodie75:

I do know the plug is an inline one not a square configuration

Ah okay, then, I was going to mention that in Big Ben, the same plug is sued for the knocker, too, so the 'socket' is 4x2 and not 2x2 like I have pictured. (3rd row is nothing, 4th is 1x2 for knocker.)

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Ah okay, then, I was going to mention that in Big Ben, the same plug is sued for the knocker, too, so the 'socket' is 4x2 and not 2x2 like I have pictured. (3rd row is nothing, 4th is 1x2 for knocker.)

No it’s 4x1 4pins all in a row

#10 2 years ago

what I was trying to say is the wire color on the jack/socket should match the wire color on the plug at each pin position.

I guess since the chime unit was generic but the games had different wire colors on the socket, the colors may not match. It was also pretty common to swap chime units between games when one burned up on route.

the white/yellow looking fat wire on coyote's pic looks like the wire they often used for red. I dunno if it was originally red and faded badly or if it was a substitute when they ran out of red.

I'm going to the pacific pinball museum tomorrow and I'll get a picture from a super star machine. As long as you get the fat wire going to one lug on all three coils, if you mix up the other ones you'll just get a different chime sound than you are supposed to get for 10/100/1000 pts.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

what I was trying to say is the wire color on the jack/socket should match the wire color on the plug at each pin position.
I guess since the chime unit was generic but the games had different wire colors on the socket, the colors may not match. It was also pretty common to swap chime units between games when one burned up on route.
the white/yellow looking fat wire on coyote's pic looks like the wire they often used for red. I dunno if it was originally red and faded badly or if it was a substitute when they ran out of red.
I'm going to the pacific pinball museum tomorrow and I'll get a picture from a super star machine. As long as you get the fat wire going to one lug on all three coils, if you mix up the other ones you'll just get a different chime sound than you are supposed to get for 10/100/1000 pts.

I saw what you were talking about. I rechecked my schem and the wire do match up. Now I just have to come up with a solution to connect them since I don’t have the Jones plug. I’ll do some interwebs sleuthin!!

#12 2 years ago

Why not use a molex type connector - small square ones like on other coin doors?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Why not use a molex type connector - small square ones like on other coin doors?

Yea I could. I was trying to keep it og as possible

#14 2 years ago

Post in the EM Parts Wanted thread saying you're looking for a Jones plug, at least 4 pips long. If you get one larger, then cut it down to size.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Post in the EM Parts Wanted thread saying you're looking for a Jones plug, at least 4 pips long. If you get one larger, then cut it down to size.

I was thinking about that. But I got burned on purchasing the table already, not saying anyone is shady but if I can figure it out or make it myself it would only help improve my skills.

#16 2 years ago

There are some on ebay. Make sure to get the plugs and the sockets.

#17 2 years ago

fwiw

most jones plugs in people's scrap bins are two pins wide, so you'd have to cut one of those. If you don't have a source, pm me your address and I'll mail you one.

originally there were grommets or pads in/at each bar hole, but if those are rotted off you can use a square of something like scotchbrite pad under the bar on each mounting post. That'll give you the "ding" instead of sounding like ball bearings in a tin can.

in other words, the bar needs to be isolated from the frame to avoid the rattles.

super star chime plug (resized).jpgsuper star chime plug (resized).jpgsuper star chimes wiring2 (resized).jpgsuper star chimes wiring2 (resized).jpgsuper star chimes wiring (resized).jpgsuper star chimes wiring (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There are some on ebay. Make sure to get the plugs and the sockets.

I broke down and purchased spare Jones plugs off eBay, lol

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

fwiw
most jones plugs in people's scrap bins are two pins wide, so you'd have to cut one of those. If you don't have a source, pm me your address and I'll mail you one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dude talk about coming in clutch! Thank you for the offer but I found some on eBay and purchased them. Thanks for the offer and the pictures for wiring reference!!

#20 2 years ago

PBR also sells chime rebuild kits with sleeves, spacers, and grommets.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

PBR also sells chime rebuild kits with sleeves, spacers, and grommets.

For the price, it's not bad at all. Just got one from them last week.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-em-chime-unit-wiring-setup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.