IMG_8500 (resized).jpg
Williams 8 Ball Play Field #1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0958 (resized).JPG
IMG_0959 (resized).JPG
20210806_074512 (resized).jpg
20210806_074442 (resized).jpg
20210806_074309 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210806_035843611 (resized).jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 66 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

The Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda CA has probably one of the most vast EM collections,
with tons of early 60s WMS EMs, Along with tons of Woodrails and GTB and BLY EMs)
That is in part due to the fact that 60s WMS pins were my favorite to acquire and collect and play.
At one time I had about 75 of the 170 WMS EMs from 1960-1978 eras
and I have since donated the vast majority of my collection to the PPM.
Including all the WMS reverse wedgehead pins ever produced.
And what games that I did not donate, of WMS EMs from 1960-78 eras,
they acquired the remaining (about 90% of WMS EM pins) thru other donors.
Another great place to play WMS EMs from the 60s & 70s is at Matt Cristiano's Pinball Ranch in San Benito county CA
where he has a bunch, most of those from the Sam Harvey acquired collection.

You now have me wanting to compare the games linked in this topic with the games listed for the Pacific Museum here on Pinside. Wish I had a visit to the West Coast coming up soon.

#52 65 days ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Hazmat, nice addition to your Williams collection! Was it a local or quasi local find?
Looks like you have your work cut out for you with some playfield touchup artistry.
Enjoy.

It was local in Brooklyn Park, MD.

#53 64 days ago

I’ve never owned a pin with the metal flippers, but I’ve played some. I like the look, and I assume they’re more durable than plastic. I would think that chipping and cracking are eliminated. 8 Ball is at the top of my wishlist, so maybe I’ll have metal flippers some day.

#54 64 days ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

And from 1962 on there were generally 2 rubber-rings fitted on each flipper. It's not only on the flyer, this was real. 2 rubber-rings look much better than one, also it protected the flipper from getting broken. It's neither original nor better looking when people fit their 2-inch-flippers with just 1 rubber. It also was the case that most operators fitted the pre-1962-machines with 2 rubbers to protect the flipper from getting broken. No idea where this "new" trend comes from to return to just one rubber.

It's not a "new" trend. That's how they were in the 60s. The 60s were when I got started playing pinball so I played a ton of games from all manufacturers, all two inch flippers, and they were all single rubber flippers. Maybe the operators somewhere did it, but they did not come from the factory with two rubbers on each flipper. If they did then the ops of all the games I played removed them.

I asked Steve Young this very question one time. His statement was that one rubber was factory. Might be the reason there is only one groove for the rubber on the flipper. In addition, I've run one rubber on all my two inch games forever and I've never broken one flipper bat doing that.

#55 63 days ago
Quoted from Classicpinballs:

My own Apollo has chrome bats yet a customers one I'm overhauling has red ones. Chrome looks nicer to me though.

My Apollo has white flippers. Chrome would be great on this game though, so may have to see if I can find a pair.

#56 63 days ago

Doubling the rubbers on the round top 2" flippers was done to accommodate the smaller 1 1/16" pinball. It isn't to keep the flipper from breaking, but to have the flipper strike the ball closer to the center. When flippers first appeared, the standard pinball was 1 1/8" in diameter. A smaller ball was soon used, and in order to compensate, an additional rubber ring was routinely installed. This was permanently corrected with the introduction of the flat top 2" flipper.
I always double rubber the round top 2" flippers.

#57 63 days ago

Plus double rubbers give you just the tiniest bit of extra reach. Which is nice on some games.

#59 55 days ago

Jerry Kelley's first design for Williams, Pot 'O' Gold, also has metallic flippers:

Williams Pot O Gold (resized).jpg
1 month later
#60 4 days ago

A current classified ad: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/113623 for the game Lucky Strike shows another Norm Clark design with bluish chrome flippers from August 1965.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside