Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by oldschoolbob
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2203 (resized).JPG
IMG_2202 (resized).JPG
IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0592 (resized).JPG
IMG_0593 (resized).JPG
IMG_0600 (resized).JPG
IMG_0629 (resized).JPG
IMG_0697 (resized).JPG
IMG_0699 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I was having a devil of a time getting the horseshoe contacts adjusted on my Williams Disco Fever. Too tight and the target won’t drop – too loose and it won’t make contact. I thought this would be a perfect application for a reed switch. I dug around in my old parts stuff and came up with a bunch of reed switches and a perf-board. I found the magnets at Home Depot – almost perfect – just a little too thick. But they fit fine where the horseshoe contacts were. I hot glued a reed switch to the perf-board and tested – worked great. I finished it up with some old stuff I had laying around and installed the drop target. It works!!!

I’m really surprised someone doesn’t already make these.

Bob

IMG_0699 (resized).JPG

IMG_0697 (resized).JPG

IMG_0629 (resized).JPG

IMG_0600 (resized).JPG

IMG_0593 (resized).JPG

IMG_0592 (resized).JPG

IMG_0575 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Cool. No moving parts and eliminated the sliders.

#3 2 years ago

I've also wondered why reed switches haven't caught on more in pinball. But my proto Safe Cracker does use them in place of all roll-over switches.

1 year later
#4 1 year ago

Curious how this has been working out, and with a year or more of hindsight, anything you'd have done differently? Do the targets score reliably? I would be afraid of the magnet falling past the reed switch too fast. I had considered doing similar but using a hall effect sensor, or even something optical, but the elegance of having it not having to be powered is definitely an advantage so if you are still happy with your design, I might have to try my hand at something similar!

Thanks in advance!!
Steve

#5 1 year ago

Steve,

This was my first installation of reed switches (Disco Fever). Over a year ago and they still work great - nothing to get dirty or ware out. I have since installed them on Blackout and Flash. The wiring on Blackout and Flash is slightly different from the Disco Fever. See this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-williams-drop-target-sliders-with-reed-switches

I had to use two reed switches on each target instead of just one. But they still work the same. On the Disco Fever and Blackout I mounted the switches horizontally. Later I found they work better mounted vertical. The adjustment is less critical. Keep in mind that the magnetic pull is greater on the sides of the magnet than in the center.

Hope this helps. Let us know how your's turns out.

Bob

IMG_2203 (resized).JPGIMG_2202 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.00
$ 11.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 300.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside