Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1000Point (resized).png
Timing (resized).PNG
Bonus unit reset (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hi,
just solved an interesting problem: when counting down the bonus with double bonus activated, my Space Mission did not count enough points. With single bonus everything was ok.
First took a movie showing the point-counter and the bonus lights during bonus count down. Watching the movie in low speed, it turned out, that the points where "in groove", while the bonus unit seemed to “flatter” i.e., bonus lights did not have a constant rhythm.
Looking in the schematics, how the system is supposed to work is:
In single bonus mode, bonus is count down and 1000 points are added both 5 times per cycle by score motor impulse cam.
In double bonus mode, 1000 points are added 4 times per cycle (impulse cam AND long dwell cam) and bonus is decremented 2 time by cycle (Cam3 OR cam 5).
First thing that comes to mind may be the 1000-point coil is actuated not often enough. But the actual error is, that the bonus reset coil is actuated too often. So, something had to be wrong with MB 3-D or MB 5-B.
In order to decide which one is the bad one, I insulated the contacts of MB 3-D with a tiny nylon bag put around the contacts. Then the machine added for times the bonus points instead of two times the bonus points, cause now it had 4 1000-point actuations in one cycle and only 1 bonus decrement.
As this worked as designed, I readjusted MB 3-D. Now the double bonus points are added up correctly.
Hope this helps.
Patrick
1000Point (resized).png1000Point (resized).pngBonus unit reset (resized).pngBonus unit reset (resized).pngTiming (resized).PNGTiming (resized).PNG

#2 2 years ago

Nicely done.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-double-bonus-not-granting-enough-points and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.