You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Groundstrip_AB.jpg
db_guts_02.jpg
db_guts_01.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So, my wife and I picked up a Williams "Doodle Bug" machine last year for a wonderful $200. After bringing it back from the dead, we decided to make this machine a "restoration" project. She's re-painting the playfield and cabinet and I'm fixing the wiring.

Well, she has been out of town and, while she has been gone, I came to the "Let's go all the way," conclusion which somehow got to the point of de-soldering all of the Jones connector wiring, cleaning the connectors, and re-soldering the wires.

I even cleaned the plywood that holds the assembly for crying out loud!

Someone, please stop me. This is too much fun. The front room is a mess -- wire cutters, solder, way too many screws, screwdrivers, pliers, random EM parts purchased off eBay...

db_guts_01.jpgdb_guts_01.jpg db_guts_02.jpgdb_guts_02.jpg

#2 10 years ago

You are officially beyond help.
Enjoy it!

#3 10 years ago

Why would you do things like that ?
is there a logic to this ?

Not trying to be disparaging, but this seems like a huge waste of time.
My thoughts are is if it is not broken, leave it be,
anyway, my you have good fortune with this project.

Brian

#4 10 years ago

holy cow...

you have a level of patience that FAR exceeds any that i could hope to achieve...

post pics when done... that is gonna be downright purty...

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

Someone, please stop me. This is too much fun. blockquote>

Nope... You don't want us to and you know it...

#6 10 years ago

It's easier to just take everything off the score motor board 'as-is' (still soldered, and in the harnesses), clean the score motor board, clean the individual connectors, relays, score motor (with disassembly, but not unsoldering), then re-pop the score motor board. Don't really need to unsolder stuff to get it clean (use degreasers and such). Resolder wires that have popped off though.

But a complete teardown/rebuild of the score motor board is standard operating procedure for a full refurbish... Just leave the wiring alone.

#7 10 years ago

Out of all my games Doodle Bug is my wife and kids favorite and they won't let me sell it. It is so much fun and so addicting. All your hard work will end in a great pay off, keep the pictures coming.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement folks.

When we originally purchased it, it was only in about 20% working condition.

Before this project began, we were still having trouble with the chime box hitting on a regular basis, the "Advance Target" cycling, and overall buzzy noises, so we just decided to go all the way.

Yeah, it's going to take a hell of a long time. Luckily we have two other machines that we can play while this one's out. I think that's the main reason we decided to do this. That and we're both tinkerers.

I shall post photos as it all progresses -- which will be in very very random moments.

Too many damn hobbies.

#9 10 years ago

i had one it was great sold it to a family friend. bgresto has a backglass for it as mine was flaking bad.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for reminding me, Warlock. I need to get a new backglass from BGResto for mine as well.

I completely forgot to write back to them after I initiated a conversation with them last month. Whoops.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It's easier to just take everything off the score motor board 'as-is' (still soldered, and in the harnesses), clean the score motor board, clean the individual connectors, relays, score motor (with disassembly, but not unsoldering), then re-pop the score motor board. Don't really need to unsolder stuff to get it clean (use degreasers and such). Resolder wires that have popped off though.
But a complete teardown/rebuild of the score motor board is standard operating procedure for a full refurbish... Just leave the wiring alone.

The score motor's pretty intimidating. Too many switch stacks that I could easily screw up. This will be the VERY last thing that will be refurbished. It's scary.

The solenoid/relay/whatever thing responsible for pulsing that motor's pretty gnarly looking though.

I'm convinced this machine was left somewhere terrible for many years. It's in overall much worse shape that other EM internals that I've seen on any of the PinballNinja videos.

#12 10 years ago

you can handle the score motor... take many pictures, and note carefully the order that the cams are arranged...

if i can do it, you can...

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

you can handle the score motor... take many pictures, and note carefully the order that the cams are arranged...
if i can do it, you can...

And ^^Video helps too!

#14 10 years ago

I had a '64 mustang that need the carburetor and points adjusted so I bored it out and re-ringed it. But this was just a dream because I would never do something at all like this in real life.

#15 10 years ago

I didn't desolder the connectors, but I cleaned up mine a lot too. If you can get it back together without goofing it up, a machine that has been restored as well on the inside as the outside is a real thing of beauty. IMO, I'd rather do fewer games/year and really have them look nice all the way around. But that's the cool thing about this hobby, nobody makes you do anything you don't want to. It's your machine, so knock yourself out.

https://plus.google.com/photos/118003252068396696045/albums/5348125781821314289

1 week later
#16 10 years ago

Just came back from a week-long vacation and decided to check this thread and...

Newmantjn, holy hell! That's something very beautiful. Thanks for all of those pics. Now I definitely have some more motivation.

I think that's the thing about fully restoring a machine. If it's a work of love/art, then it's okay. And I slightly enjoy the fact that I know every single thing has been touched/cleaned.

You guys are awesome.

#17 10 years ago

And this is what happens when I happen over to the local hardware store and pick up a wire-wheel attachment to my fancy-fun drill.

Shiny shiny!

Let's not forget, a glorious waste of an hour or so... and some bloody knuckles. Wear gloves dammit!

Groundstrip_AB.jpgGroundstrip_AB.jpg
#18 10 years ago

its a heck of a cool game with drains behind the flipper I have learned some new skill that I apply to regular pins with drains. also you really have to keep the ball moving cant hold the ball to line up anything or take a quick break.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

Newmantjn, holy hell! That's something very beautiful. Thanks for all of those pics. Now I definitely have some more motivation.

Thank you for the cudos. Please be careful with the wire wheel around the lead. You don't want to breath lead dust.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-doodle-bug-overkill-achieved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.