Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DropTarget
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A763202E-A9FA-4D1F-8C00-F5C7F7414BC9 (resized).jpeg
3727A78D-F9A3-4211-A252-6A4C26119BEC (resized).jpeg
IMG_4691 (resized).JPG
IMG_3496 (resized).JPG
IMG_2135 (resized).JPG
IMG_3330 (resized).JPG
IMG_1991 (resized).JPG

#1 4 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking at a T2. the left 1/2 of the DMD is out. Would you think its the display, driver board, harness, something else?

I'm trying to assess value.

Thanks

#2 4 months ago

I would suspect the display. If the driver board was out there would probably be no image at all.

#3 4 months ago

Couldn't hurt to reseat the roms on display driver board and ribbon cables and see if there's a change.

#4 4 months ago

Thanks for the advice. The seller gave me the line we've all heard so many times...."it was working......." I do believe him.

I told him I'd buy it, gave him his price...keeping fingers crossed. There are also some matrix lights out, hopefully just bulbs.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Couldn't hurt to reseat the roms on display driver board and ribbon cables

There are no ROMs on the display driver board, which is called the DMD Controller Board.
Ribbon cables? Definitely reseat.
Let us know what you find.
I fear that the display itself is toast.
--
Chris Hibler

#6 4 months ago

If it is toast, you may find a fellow pinsider who has one laying around due to upgrading to a ColorDMD.

#7 4 months ago

Thanks guys,

I'll keep you posted. I should be getting the game in a few days.

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

If it is toast, you may find a fellow pinsider who has one laying around due to upgrading to a ColorDMD.

With so many going to colordmd you can buys nice used dmd for cheap now. I see them regularly for under $100

#9 4 months ago

thx

#10 4 months ago

Update.

I got the game today, turned it on, and the left side was still out. I reseated all of the cables, left side still out, added a credit, started a game and the left side started to show some life.

here are some pics. Something is loose, but I don't know what. I've reseated cables numerous times now, but no change......

I'll try a new ribbon cable. Will any 14 pin cable work?

IMG_4691 (resized).JPGIMG_1991 (resized).JPGIMG_2135 (resized).JPGIMG_3330 (resized).JPGIMG_3496 (resized).JPG

#11 4 months ago

It looks kind of similar to my Batman Forever dmd. It had some corrosion on it which looked like battery damage.

3727A78D-F9A3-4211-A252-6A4C26119BEC (resized).jpegA763202E-A9FA-4D1F-8C00-F5C7F7414BC9 (resized).jpeg
#12 4 months ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Update.

I got the game today, turned it on, and the left side was still out. I reseated all of the cables, left side still out, added a credit, started a game and the left side started to show some life.

Try swapping in the DMD from your JP.

#13 4 months ago

try to run the internal display tests in the software first, it tests ram and more. Also check the power output from the controller board [usually dim display not garbled though]
I would try a new ram on the controller board if all the power is good and all cables are known to be good and making good connection. Seen bad ram cause all kinds of strange stuff in displays. And its a cheap easy part to replace.

Not a fan of transferring boards to other games as it can cause the problem to damage something on the other game.
be nice if you or a friend had a known good dmd with a line or 2 out to test with. Happy to lend one but you are sooo far away from me.
Should be a pin sider closer who can oblige

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Try swapping in the DMD from your JP.

are they the same?

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

try to run the internal display tests in the software first, it tests ram and more. Also check the power output from the controller board [usually dim display not garbled though]
I would try a new ram on the controller board if all the power is good and all cables are known to be good and making good connection. Seen bad ram cause all kinds of strange stuff in displays. And its a cheap easy part to replace.
Not a fan of transferring boards to other games as it can cause the problem to damage something on the other game.
be nice if you or a friend had a known good dmd with a line or 2 out to test with. Happy to lend one but you are sooo far away from me.
Should be a pin sider closer who can oblige

Thanks,

good advise. Some of my coworkers are in Abbotsford right now......

#16 4 months ago

I found it interesting that at first the left side was completely out, then when it started coming back, the left side was completely lit. Then it started to get garbled.

#17 4 months ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

are they the same?

Yes.

#18 4 months ago

Thanks, they look different from behind. I'll take a closer look. Although, I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of damaging the JP display. Maybe I'll send the display and controller out to be checked. (Chris???)

#19 4 months ago

They are the same functionally, are they both a plasma (orange) display?

#20 4 months ago

yes

#21 4 months ago

its trashed, can't save it. go pick one up on here for $80-100

#22 4 months ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

It looks kind of similar to my Batman Forever dmd. It had some corrosion on it which looked like battery damage.
[quoted image][quoted image]

those are notorious for having bad connections (RED/BLACK)on back of dmd. just reflowed solder on mine, all good now. same thing with my Baywatch.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

those are notorious for having bad connections (RED/BLACK)on back of dmd. just reflowed solder on mine, all good now. same thing with my Baywatch.

I never could get it to work. I ended up just replacing it and eventually sold the game so I’ll probably throw it up on eBay for 50 bucks and see what happens Lol

#24 4 months ago

I'm ordering a new cable. will start from there.

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

What exactly did you reflow? I don't see any red/black on the display. Mine is made by Cherry

#26 4 months ago

Thanks to everyone for their help with this (especially ChrisHibler, who's always been there for the community). I'm pretty sure it's a bad display. Realpacement is on it's way.

#27 4 months ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

What exactly did you reflow? I don't see any red/black on the display. Mine is made by Cherry

That is for the display driver board 5v power connector, not the display. Low 5v power has not caused this issue in my experience.

#28 4 months ago

Thx

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 399.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Newnan, GA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside