Williams Displays Flickering

By oldschoolbob

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently worked on my Williams Blackout. I replaced all the headers and most of the connectors. I did not change the connectors for the displays – they are IDC connectors and they were working fine. Now I’ve noticed some of the segments on displays 3 and 4 flicker and a couple of segments were out totally. I fixed the missing segments by replacing a couple of resistors. But I still got flickering so I replaced the remaining resistors. It’s still flickering.

Would a bad connector (1J5) – Display BCD cause this flickering?

Thanks

Bob

#2 5 years ago

I replaced the BCD connector and now I have missing and flickering segments on all displays.

Could a bad PIA (IC 18) cause this problem?

Thanks

Bob

#3 5 years ago

I pulled out the PIA and tested it on my tester. It tested OK.

I put in a different PIA into the game and get the same results.

Below is a video of display test.

Any suggestions of what the problem could be?

Thanks

Bob

#4 5 years ago

I just put the master display into my Flash game. No flickering - so the problem must be with the MPU.

I've replaced all the headers on the MPU board. I replaced the J5 connector. I replaced the PIA (IC 18).

What else could be the problem? I'm out of ideas!

Please help.

Bob

#5 5 years ago

Could be that one of the displays is going bad. Power down and remove one of the displays and power back up. Try one at a time to see if there is a change.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks Brewchap, You may be on to something.

With player 3 only:
missing segments and some flickering

With player 4 only:
no missing segments and no flickering

With players 4 & 2:
no missing segments and no flickering

With players 4 - 2 & 1:
missing segments and some flickering (player 4 is OK)

With player 1 only:
missing segments and some flickering.

Looks like players 1 and 3 might be causing the problems.

I have a Flash I'm working on. I'll try to swap displays 1 & 3.

Thanks

Bob

#7 5 years ago

Maybe try moving the displays around swap a working one for a flakey one. I chased a problem in my Gorges that turned out to be the master display.

#8 5 years ago

Make sure to power the game off before plugging/unplugging any displays!

#9 5 years ago

Thanks Frunch, That's a good tip. I always power off the game to plugging/unplugging any connector.

Looks like Brewchap was right on. I removed two displays from my Flash and installed them into the Blackout. They all work fine now. Unfortunately, now I have to repair the Flash.

I don't see anything that can go bad on the slave displays. Just traces and glass display. Anyway to repair these?

Thanks

Bob

#10 5 years ago

Not that I know of other than replacing the glass. Best bet is to look on Ebay for replacements or buy an aftermarket set.

#11 5 years ago

With a forum name of "old school" you might disagree but if you already have 2 bad the other 2 might be right around the corner. I would get a complete new rottendog set and save the 2 good original ones you have for another machine. The rottendogs are really nice and you can hardly tell the difference. For good working originals your probably looking at $50 each. A set of rottendogs are $159.

https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-led-displays-system-for-williams-3-6-dis326.html

#12 5 years ago

I'm not above putting in LED displays. I have a Stern with LED displays. With the back-glass in you can hardly tell the difference.

I been thinking about the Rottendog displays and that's probably the way I'll go.

Thanks

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-displays-flickering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.